Upper arm internal bolt

Ricky33

I have an Excalibur 21 inch scroll saw. Last weekend the internal bolt that holds the internal parts to the upper arm. With much looking I found the bolt and put my machine back together however there is a terrible vibration and noise coming from it now.   The upper arm is hitting the upper part of the housing.  Can anyone help me repair my machine correctly. Thanks in advance. 

Sorry I will get pics tomorrow. The bolt is inside the main upper housing. It slide through a U shaped metal piece with a nut to tighten to that and then screws into a cylinder inside the housing.  I’m sure this doesn’t help as much as pictures but till I can get them it was the best I could do

the bolt broke inside the machine.  Right in half 

Edited by Ricky33

My saw was inherited from my step dad when he passed.  It’s a limited edition Excalibur 21 inch saw.  Best I could tell till now the only differences was the work base was gold and there is a golden metal plate attached to the side of the machine saying it was built for my stepdad 

That's a set up I haven't ever seen before. I almost want to say that this was repaired / modified.. but it could be factory.. Seems like the C-arms are too short like they was from a 16" saw and they added this section to it to make it work.. however was this done at the manufacture or something someone did.. I remember when this special color scheme was introduced.. I almost bought a new one.. Believe that was around 2009 ish..

I guess I'm stumped on what will fix the saws issue.... Maybe this setup had a special setting and lock nut setup to make the upper arm the correct length..   

It looks like your saw is missing part #64 and what you have was put in place of it. It makes no sense. If your Dad bought the saw new, something is very strange. What does the lower arm look like? The upper and lower arms should both have #64 as their driving source. I've got 2 Excaliburs and neither of mine have parts like yours. 

I agree, I'd call Ray or Mike at Seyco and ask them about this.. I don't think this is a factory set up.. and this worries me that there could be some damaged bearings and who knows what at the back of the saw.. General International was well known for quality saws back when this was made ( now made in China and not the greatest quality ) and this setup looks nothing like their work.. having that set up like that looks like a weak point and will just keep coming apart or destroy the whole saw. I would buy a whole arm assembly and install it.. I did this to my saw due to worn bearings.. you can see my rebuild posting topic here.. If I recall the assembly cost around $115

Thank you for sharing that post I will look more at it.  From what I saw the two are vastly different.  Attached are pictures of the inside of my top arm, the serial number plate and the plaque that says it was made specifically for my step dad. As well as the bottom arm.  While I felt sure that a pic of the bottom arm disassembled was wanted I’ve not done that yet. 
I will also look for a phone number for seyco but if someone knows it right off that would be huge help also. 

IMG_2132.jpeg

IMG_2135.jpeg

IMG_2134.jpeg

IMG_2133.jpeg

IMG_2136.jpeg

You might consider sending a email with those photos.. as well so they can see exactly what you have and what you're talking about. 

Here is the website, I believe there is some contact info on emailing them or also their number is listed near the bottom of the page. I'm super curious how this turns out.. I'm really doubtful it's factory like this but your story sounds as if it might be.. certainly something many of us have had these saws apart and none of us have seen anything like this yet anyway, LOL 

https://seyco.com/

I will definitely send an email and see what they say.  I must say that hearing what all y’all have done with your saws as far as maintenance and repairing them and knowing y’all haven’t seen this before does make me a little nervous.  Should I end up just needing a new saw what would be the top three recommendations? 

25 minutes ago, Ricky33 said:

I will definitely send an email and see what they say.  I must say that hearing what all y’all have done with your saws as far as maintenance and repairing them and knowing y’all haven’t seen this before does make me a little nervous.  Should I end up just needing a new saw what would be the top three recommendations? 

Having only used a DeWalt 788, my opinion might be biased but, it seems to be a decent, trouble free tool. 

Not sure how mechanical incline you are but in my opinion the Excalibur saw is one of the top saws ( pre 2017 before China bought the General International name ). IF it were me, I'd just spend the money on the C-arms etc.. and rebuild what you have. You can refurb the whole saw minus the motor and electronics of the saw for around $200.. and you have a like new saw.. You're likely not going to find a "quality new" saw comparable to this one for less than $800 ish.. Sure you can scope out a good used one though.. but the average price of that would be probably in the $400 range.. 

Well, I just looked and the prices went up on the parts.. I see the main part you need is now $150 https://seyco.com/product/excalibur-drive-link-complete-assembly/

You may not need this part but replacing these as well is what would make the saws mechanical parts completely new saw with all new bearings and sleeves. https://seyco.com/product/ex21-c27c-top-and-bottom-front-rocker-arm-assemblies/  

2 minutes ago, Denny Knappen said:

I have the same saw and the same problem, but my bolt snapped.  I called Ray at Seyco at there is a part he suggested that replaced the complete assembly.  Not a problem since.  This goes back to before he sold the Seyco scroll saws.

So that is a factory set-up, thanks Denny for clarifying that.. Did your replacement assembly come with that same set-up or was it one piece like the newer saws.. I wonder if these older saws had this setup and if it was a problem so they made it all one piece. 

20 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

So that is a factory set-up, thanks Denny for clarifying that.. Did your replacement assembly come with that same set-up or was it one piece like the newer saws.. I wonder if these older saws had this setup and if it was a problem so they made it all one piece. 

It was a one piece.

10 hours ago, Ricky33 said:

Thank you for sharing that post I will look more at it.  From what I saw the two are vastly different.  Attached are pictures of the inside of my top arm, the serial number plate and the plaque that says it was made specifically for my step dad. As well as the bottom arm.  While I felt sure that a pic of the bottom arm disassembled was wanted I’ve not done that yet. 
I will also look for a phone number for seyco but if someone knows it right off that would be huge help also. 

IMG_2132.jpeg

IMG_2135.jpeg

IMG_2134.jpeg

IMG_2133.jpeg

IMG_2136.jpeg

It is a Taiwan-made saw and definitely worth the cost to rebuild. I have replaced every replacement part on mine using parts from Seyco. It was worth every penny.

Looking at the brass plate, it appears to have been purchased from Seyco. Give them a call.