Revisiting the saw

Eplfan2011

I haven't been here for a while, the good weather is drawing to a end and we will be stuck inside soon here in IL.

Im still seeing familiar names here so that's a blessing. As many may remember I started scrolling this time last year but took the summer off for my other hobby, today I went to the work shop and blew the dust off the saws and started cutting a pretty simple Steve good cut ..... boy am I rusty! Figured I'd just be able to pick up where I left off 6 months ago 🤣🤣🤣... oh well at least the learning curve won't be as bad this time round 

Look forward to seeing what works if art you guys have been making and it's good to be back!

• 1 month later...

Like you, I stepped away for the Summer while I was out fishing, motorcycling, tending to the garden, etc., but in SE WI, it's time to get back into the shop for me as well.  I'll be blowing the dust off of the Hawk and get moving on it.  I am going to be building some Appalachian Mountain Dulcimers this winter out of reclaimed wood, and will be using the 26" Hawk for the sound holes.  I have already installed a re-saw blade on the band saw and have half a truck load of pallet wood (My truck as an 8' bed, so it's a lot of lumber).  I am just finalizing my plans and will make the prototype soon.  I plan to build just a few of them, if the first one works out and has a good tone.  I know pallet wood is going to be hit or miss, so I may use all pallet wood, and spruce sound boards, but I'll see how it goes. 

PalletWood.thumb.jpg.18f15bb1cadd09f881a675462fab845b.jpg

Dan

I stepped away for most of the summer this year as well.. but about a week ago orders for scroll work started coming in and was selling out of scrolled ornaments.. now I'm working my tail off trying to keep up with some clock orders while also almost selling out of some of the ornaments.. weird how each year business is so different.. typically get orders throughout the whole year but it's been pretty slow all summer.. typically I've started picking up business for the holidays around mid Sept.. but it was pretty slow all the way up until just a little over a week ago.. I'm not usually this busy until end of Nov.. but they all just came all at once out of nowhere.. I figured the year was going to be a bust.. but if this keeps up through the holidays I might make up for lost business all in the couple months of the whole year, LOL 

9 hours ago, DRugerH said:

... I am going to be building some Appalachian Mountain Dulcimers this winter out of reclaimed wood, and will be using the 26" Hawk for the sound holes. Dan

I had to check it out.  Here's a nice video on a dulcimer maker.

Edited by rafairchild2

Please keep us "attuned" to you build.  I love building musical things,   Done quite a few Cigar Box Guitars, Native American flute, a Strum Stick, that got stolen want to make another.  A hand crank organ,  I would love to build a dulcimer. They are beautiful instruments.

P.S. Have to admit I can not play any of them, well except for the organ, I have no musical ability.  If I did I would plan the Harmonica, got several, but no music come out of them.  But others can play what I have built.

Edited by Scrappile