Killing Time

jimmyG

2 hours ago, jimmyG said:

I never watch sports of any kind... Won't waste a nano second watching a bunch of over paid cry babies playing a game.  Rather watch the finish on my projects dry!

You do realize instead of just watching your projects dry, you could scroll, WHILE they dry...  Just say'n 🙃🙂 

I tried watching my projects dry.. I fell asleep.🤣

Speaking of watching sports.   I went to my Daughters for an early Thanksgiving this week end.  My Son and Son-in-Law are huge sports fans.  Play fantasy football an hockey.   I watched more sports in one day than I have watch in the past ten years and do not care if I do not see anymore for the rest of my life.  Looking at wood turning on the scroll saw is the sport I love.  But not complaining it was a wonderful weekend with family.

On 11/20/2023 at 6:21 AM, jimmyG said:

Reduced in size by 20% to fit a scrap of 3/8" canary wood I had laying around.

OMG!  
All this time I've been thinking the other way - enlarge the pattern.

It never occurred to me to reduce a pattern.  There is a lot of scrap wood I have laying around I can use up.
🤔DOPE SLAP !

Thanks for reminding me to look both ways.

1 hour ago, Joe W. said:

OMG!  
All this time I've been thinking the other way - enlarge the pattern.

It never occurred to me to reduce a pattern.  There is a lot of scrap wood I have laying around I can use up.
🤔DOPE SLAP !

Thanks for reminding me to look both ways.

Joe,  I almost always reduce a pattern.  Don't know why, just do!!

15 hours ago, rdatelle said:

Cute, Love the canary wood.

It's nearly impossible to get a 1/4" piece delivered perfectly flat..  Ocooch Hardwood replaced a piece of that plus  Padauk and Wenge and they also came cupped as well..  I tried to salvage some strips but it was tough.  That's how I made these little starfish drink coasters.

20231125_115607SM.jpg

That is my experience also. Cupping is a pain and none of the methods I have read or watched to un-cup wood have been successful for me.  I have the best result of preventing cupping by stacking the wood with spacer strips between each piece.  weight on top and let it sit for about 3 week before trying to use it.  Still not 100% but less cupping.  My thought is they cut the wood too green to begin with.  Just my thoughts I do not know.  I also have had better luck with Cherokee woods https://www.cherokeewood.com  and I feel they let their wood dry longer.  Again just my thoughts and experience.  I have purchase wood from Ocooch many times.  And will porbably continue to do so, but nothing less than 1/2" thick.  Both places give great service.