Done painting Basswood

Original Carousel Horses are all carved from Basswood and they are painted. Some have been stripped and re-painted many times to refresh their appearance. I have never been involved in this, so I can't offer any advice, except to suggest that you should do some research into how they do it.

Charley

1 hour ago, CharleyL said:

Original Carousel Horses are all carved from Basswood and they are painted. Some have been stripped and re-painted many times to refresh their appearance. I have never been involved in this, so I can't offer any advice, except to suggest that you should do some research into how they do it.

Charley

I don't really like scrolling the 3/4 Basswood anyway. 

3 hours ago, redwine said:

You might try sealing Basswood first with shellac than apply the paint! I very seldom use this wood just to soft! 

Erv

Never used shellac before, still kinda new with woodworking so I might give that a try.  I did lightly sand with 400 then 800 to try and smooth things out but the rough patches were on the inside so it was a pain to do.  It looks better as long as it's not vied too close 🫤

20240602_141152crp.jpg

Wax free shellac is alcohol based, so it dries quickly. It's mostly used to lock the surface so a different kind of stain or finish can be applied without it being diluted or being affected otherwise by a finish already on the piece. For instance, a water based stain applied first, and now you want to apply an oil based stain over it. Applying the wax free shellac over the water based stain will prevent the oil based stain from being absorbed and mixing with the water based stain, if the wax free shellac is applied over the water based stain. It seals the surface preventing the two stains from mixing as the second is applied.

Charley

• 3 weeks later...