Piano Music Box

MarieC

Very nice project. I am sure it will be well received and treasured. All aspects look well done. A few years ago I made a piano music box to keep a pen in and it was alot of work for such a small project but I have alot of respect for your work knowing the effort needed to complete. Well done and thanks for showing. 

3 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Very nice project. I am sure it will be well received and treasured. All aspects look well done. A few years ago I made a piano music box to keep a pen in and it was alot of work for such a small project but I have alot of respect for your work knowing the effort needed to complete. Well done and thanks for showing. 

Thank you for such kind words.  I have always loved your work.  I would love to see a picture of your piano music box if you still have it.  Thank you again! 🙂

5 hours ago, MarieC said:

Thank you for such kind words.  I have always loved your work.  I would love to see a picture of your piano music box if you still have it.  Thank you again! 🙂

Yes still have it. The pen I have in mind to make for it is still not made because it is going to take some real thought how to accomplish what I want to do. But it is one of those continuing projects that I am sure we all have. I will get to it. here is my piano box.

Copy of IMGP0190.JPG

Copy of IMGP0198.JPG

Copy of IMGP0194.JPG

3 hours ago, scrollerpete said:

This is fantastic, the craftsmanship is over the top and the finishing is excellent. This piece should be cherished forever

Thank you!  To make it really glossy, I waited quite a while for the lacquer to dry.  I then used the Micro-mesh sanding pads followed with 3M 2 and 3 polish system.  Alot of elbow grease!💪🙂

6 hours ago, meflick said:

Beautiful piece that I’m sure your daughter loves and will always treasue.

Thank you so much!  I just gave it to her and she really did liked and needed it since she didn't have a jewelry box.   According to her husband, her jewelry is all over the place.🙂  She said the piano keys actually looked like ivory and she loved the music box inside it.  Thanks again for your kind words.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2024 at 7:31 PM, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Yes still have it. The pen I have in mind to make for it is still not made because it is going to take some real thought how to accomplish what I want to do. But it is one of those continuing projects that I am sure we all have. I will get to it. here is my piano box.

Copy of IMGP0190.JPG

Copy of IMGP0198.JPG

Copy of IMGP0194.JPG

First time I have seen this piano box. You and Marie are true wood artist. Both are jaw droppers. Unbelievable talent in both of these boxes.

Dick

heppnerguy

22 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Thank you. I have fun making those unique type boxes and usually are for special pens I make. 

You are one talented person indeed. I love it when I see someone who's work is outstanding. It is talent like yours that keeps me humble and  knowing I am only a mediocre scroller. I do the best I know how but really do not take the time to understand how to improve myself accept by my own trial and error.

Dick

heppnerguy

23 hours ago, MarieC said:

Dick @heppnerguy, thank you so much!  On another note, It was about a year ago @Scrappile, you and I got together...that was alot of fun.  Do you know if you will be over here anytime again?  Would love to see you both again. 

my wife has a lot of problems with balance, dizziness, and a couple of major things that are not good, that makes her in need of much assistance. I doubt very much that I will be traveling to Oregon for quite awhile. If I do, I will make every effort to go and see Paul again. I have a lot of admiration for him and consider him to be a good personal friend of mine. 

Dick

heppnerguy

1 hour ago, heppnerguy said:

You are one talented person indeed. I love it when I see someone who's work is outstanding. It is talent like yours that keeps me humble and  knowing I am only a mediocre scroller. I do the best I know how but really do not take the time to understand how to improve myself accept by my own trial and error.

Dick

heppnerguy

Thank you for the nice words. Not often I get to read some. Over the years I loved working with wood and my hands. I also have tried different medium to work with as well as designs. Sometimes my brain gets overworked and I have way too many ideas that I can not possibly finish all that I want to. Now that I have gotten older the body has slowed way down. But I still get in a mood to get in the shop to try something new. My focus these days is pen turning because that is a field that believe it or not has so much potential. That small canvas which to work with can also create so many design techniques. I can make a pen that will sell for close to $1000 in the right market. My scrolling days could never produce that. I add a specific display box with such pen and the value could double easily. But just like selling scrollsawn items you need the right audience. It is all about having fun with what you are doing and trying new things. Trial and error is always a good way to teach yourself. keep at it and have fun. thanks again. 

On 6/22/2024 at 7:49 PM, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Thank you for the nice words. Not often I get to read some. Over the years I loved working with wood and my hands. I also have tried different medium to work with as well as designs. Sometimes my brain gets overworked and I have way too many ideas that I can not possibly finish all that I want to. Now that I have gotten older the body has slowed way down. But I still get in a mood to get in the shop to try something new. My focus these days is pen turning because that is a field that believe it or not has so much potential. That small canvas which to work with can also create so many design techniques. I can make a pen that will sell for close to $1000 in the right market. My scrolling days could never produce that. I add a specific display box with such pen and the value could double easily. But just like selling scrollsawn items you need the right audience. It is all about having fun with what you are doing and trying new things. Trial and error is always a good way to teach yourself. keep at it and have fun. thanks again. 

I started my woodworking after  I retired as I realized I did not have any hobbies and figured it would be much more interesting is I had something to do in my spare time that would make my life more fun than watching TV. I tried several things to see if they might be something I would be interested in doing for the remainder of my life. I had seen a woman selling some Intarsia dogs and was blown away by what I saw. I could not believe anyone could do that wonderful work as she had in her booth. It was several years before I was searching for a hobby but it stayed in the back of my mind. One day I ran across another lady selling that sort of items and asked her if there was a name for the hobby she had. She told me it was called wood intarsia. I looked it up on the computer and it took me to Sue Mey's site. I looked at it and a couple of videos on Youtube and decided to give it a try although I did not have a scroll saw at the time. I made myself a simple pattern I made from looking at one of Sue's easy patterns and drew out a pattern and cut it on my bandsaw and after quite a bit of sanding, I ended up with a project and the idea that I too can do this.

well I cut intarsia for about 7 years and  sold several pieces and was getting a little bored with it at that time and started scroll work. Now I do a little of both and enjoy the changing back and forth. Unfortunately for me, I am not a perfectionist but I do try to do as good as I can. I do not spend much time reading a lot of the suggestions others make on how to do things so it is all 'learn by trial and effort' for me.

Dick

heppnerguy

10 hours ago, heppnerguy said:

I started my woodworking after  I retired as I realized I did not have any hobbies and figured it would be much more interesting is I had something to do in my spare time that would make my life more fun than watching TV. I tried several things to see if they might be something I would be interested in doing for the remainder of my life. I had seen a woman selling some Intarsia dogs and was blown away by what I saw. I could not believe anyone could do that wonderful work as she had in her booth. It was several years before I was searching for a hobby but it stayed in the back of my mind. One day I ran across another lady selling that sort of items and asked her if there was a name for the hobby she had. She told me it was called wood intarsia. I looked it up on the computer and it took me to Sue Mey's site. I looked at it and a couple of videos on Youtube and decided to give it a try although I did not have a scroll saw at the time. I made myself a simple pattern I made from looking at one of Sue's easy patterns and drew out a pattern and cut it on my bandsaw and after quite a bit of sanding, I ended up with a project and the idea that I too can do this.

well I cut intarsia for about 7 years and  sold several pieces and was getting a little bored with it at that time and started scroll work. Now I do a little of both and enjoy the changing back and forth. Unfortunately for me, I am not a perfectionist but I do try to do as good as I can. I do not spend much time reading a lot of the suggestions others make on how to do things so it is all 'learn by trial and effort' for me.

Dick

heppnerguy

Dick it is a great hobby and there is many patterns out there along with making up your own. It is relaxing and really inexpensive once you have the saw. There are people that are amazed that can be done with a saw. I was fortunate enough to make a few $$$ over the years to support the hobby and when I moved onto the lathe, the same applies there too. Could I have taken both hobbies to extremes and done the entire web net selling and travelled to more shows, sure but to me it takes the enjoyment out of it. My career job fed me and my family well and this was a past time. Keep at it and enjoy and have fun. 

11 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Dick it is a great hobby and there is many patterns out there along with making up your own. It is relaxing and really inexpensive once you have the saw. There are people that are amazed that can be done with a saw. I was fortunate enough to make a few $$$ over the years to support the hobby and when I moved onto the lathe, the same applies there too. Could I have taken both hobbies to extremes and done the entire web net selling and travelled to more shows, sure but to me it takes the enjoyment out of it. My career job fed me and my family well and this was a past time. Keep at it and enjoy and have fun. 

I also did a few craft shows and I did OK with making some money to buy supplies and tools but a craft show means one makes a variety of items, several of each in order to capture as many peoples interests as possible and then pack up and get ready for the next show. For me, it took away the fun and it became work and that is not why I started a hobby in the first place. I am not interested in the 'go after the money' aspect but rather the enjoyment of creating something I did not think I could ever do. I get way more satisfaction of making an item and giving it to someone, {like memorial plaques following a loved ones death} than selling a piece in a craft show. Everyone has their own reason for making them and some people make a good share of extra money. I am happy for those who can do it for the satisfaction of padding the expense of their wood working, but it is not why I started doing it and continue until today.

Thank you for your encouraging and helpful comments. I enjoyed reading them.

Dick

heppnerguy