Cutting small holes

lilcee

I'm not new to scroll sawing but I haven't done very much fretwork. I'm trying a piece that has a lot of small holes (stars etc) I have the pilot holes drilled and tried to start cutting the holes. I was going to use spiral blades for the stars. The problem I'm coming across is the blades bend whenever I try to put them in the holes. Is it better to thread it from the top or bottom? I've always done through the bottom but they were always bigger holes. Also, the blades seem to be real flimsy and bend easy. What's the best kind of blades to use for small holes and which is better - threading through the top or through the bottom?

I've never done a big fretwork before.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.

(the wood is 1/2 inch plywood)

I think it depends on your scroll saw. Some saws work better threading from the top, other from the bottom. I thread from the bottom. The blades should flex a fair amount. Even if they are bent a little, once you get it into the blade clamps and tighten the tension knob, they'll straighten right out. If you're using a quality blade, it shouldn't kink at all unless you're putting a lot of sideways pressure on them. Once you get a kink or sharp crease, they'r more likely to break while scrolling. But I find they can take a fair amount of abuse, so I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

BTW...if a blade breaks while you're scrolling, it'll scare the bejeezis out of you. Don't worry, it happens to us all, even the seasoned scroller. Just turn off the machine and change blades. Also, don't be afraid to change blades. Blades are cheap. For a standard scroll saw portrait, I might change the blade 3-6 times. When the blade isn't doing what you want it to do anymore, or if it takes more effort to cut, it's time to change out the blade.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

I wouldn't use a spiral blade for anything to small or precise, they have a larger kerf than most blades, I have found that my blade of choice for most, not all but most scroll saw projects is the skipped tooth reverse blade, I would try it and if it isn't doing what you want on this project I am sure it will come in handy for some other projects. Hope this helps