What wood glue dispenser do you use?

I use Titebond III wood glue for affixing my panels together, making frames, etc.   The Titebond bottles have a decent dispencing tip, but it gets clogged with hardened glue and becomes difficut to pop-up to open.   Just wondering if anyone uses a better type glue dispenser.  I'm looking at this one, but looking for any suggestions anyone might offer.

Gluedispenser.thumb.jpg.34343156f14d5332cf73f958973de87a.jpg

Thanks

I have that one in two sizes, and just like the Titebond bottles the glue in these gets hardened and clogged.  I tossed them and went back to the Titebond bottles.  I am going to buy a smaller container of Titebond and keep it to use as the dispenser. Others will probably love the ones you are looking at.  They just did not work for me.  I also purchased one, do not remember the name that was a greenish bulb shaped rubber thing with metal tips of  different sizes.  Same experience with it.  Guess I do not use glue often enough.

4 hours ago, FrankEV said:

I use Titebond III wood glue for affixing my panels together, making frames, etc.   The Titebond bottles have a decent dispencing tip, but it gets clogged with hardened glue and becomes difficut to pop-up to open.   Just wondering if anyone uses a better type glue dispenser.  I'm looking at this one, but looking for any suggestions anyone might offer.

Gluedispenser.thumb.jpg.34343156f14d5332cf73f958973de87a.jpg

Thanks

I tried one but the glue still dried up. I threw it away. I don't think there is anything that really works. I just try to keep the tip clean on my Titebond bottle. 

This is one of those woodworking questions that plagues most people. Alot depends on how much glue you use. being we are talking wood glues will sick with that (pun) . My thoughts are: Try to buy the smallest bottle that suits your needs. Better to buy multiple bottles than to buy a large gallon bottle and then it goes bad. Been there done that. Just like most conditions in a shop, cleanliness always wins out. A couple things can be done. Yes you can buy those cheap condiment type bottles if you use alot and then pour from your gallon into those but they too will clog and they usually are not very air tight. Now you can buy those so called rubber caps that stretch over the top to help seal the cap. That could help. I have those and they are  a pain if you use glue alot. I usually forget them and then their purpose does not work. Probably the best way to keep glue bottles like Titebond has with the slit in the top, to keep from clogging is to always wipe the off after use. When done using the bottle. let the glue settle back into the bottle and then push the cap up and down a few times and wipe that extension piece off. If you buy multiple bottles and use one up take the cap off and clean it with acetone and keep it as a replacement and then change a new bottle often and soak the cap in warm water while the glue is still soft and rinse and repeat. It has been spoken on other forums that if you store the glue bottle upside down when done the air can not get into bottle and the glue does not harden. I never tried this. I basically take the entire cap off and clean it with acetone of just scraping and picking. To me there is no clear cut answer that is full proof. Again you mileage will vary depending how much you use. I find myself throwing more glue out then I use these days because I am not making many wood projects any more. Will say this though there is nothing like using fresh glue as opposed to glue that has started to turn bad. The joints are more secure. Good luck. 

My kids got me the Sili brush kit found on amazon.  It comes with 3 different size brushes and a little container to put the glue in. If I renenber correctly the cost is under $20.00.  For me well worth it.  I usually take off the lid and pour a little into the conainer.  Just hard to control pouring a little glue for the bottle.  It is made with sliicone and once dry the glue can be peeled off.  The glue will stay fresh in the small container for a period of time, don't rememter how long.  Since I do very little gluing, this method works best for me.  Allows me to get into tight spots and really control with I put the glue.  Since I do use very little glue a small bottle lasts me a long time.  Usually, the glue goes bad before I use it up.  I usually use TitebondII and Weld-Bond glues.  Hope this helps you out.  I like the idea of using an old mustard container.

Jerry

I have both the BabeBot and GlueBots from FastCap. They have replaceable tips. However, I use a condiment bottle I bought at Walmart for $0.75. FastCap replaced both of my bottles because they broke, and I never returned to using them.

The best tip I have ever seen on a glue bottle is the one on the Elmer's Glue All bottle. It has a twist-lock cap that clears and plugs the hole when you close it. It isn't good for spreading lots of glue, but it is excellent for adding little drops.

I use the bottle that Titebond comes in.  Since the lid is hard to pop open, I use an open end wrench that just fits it to pry it open.  When done gluing, I push the top closed and try to leave a little glue at the opening.  This will harden and seal the bottle more airtight than just the lid.  When it is time to use the bottle again, I use the point of a knife or ice pick to pop off the dried glue.  It will not stick to the top and pops off easily.

Tom

If I am doing a larger glueup I will use right out of the tightbond bottle. Otherwise I use the gluemate bottle as show. Works well with titebond  1 and 11 but not titebond 111.  Just need to clean the tip periodically. I have had titebond 111 separate and plug the whole outside tube. 

Does anyone else have trouble with titebond 111 separating into about three different layers. Then needs to be thrown away. It does not matter which bottle or size. Never frozen in my shop. I am frustrated with it and use mostly titebond 11 now. 

I am a Titebond III user.  Rarely do I use other titebond.  Yep the nozzle can get clogged.  I takee a needle nose pliers to pry up the cap.  Then I unscrew the top and use same pliers to pull the dried glue out. 

I have been tempted to try the silicon brush applicator set from rockler.  But I think that it won't help with Titebond III. 

I might try keeping the bottle upside down. As suggested above.   

But I won't change glues.   My hats have 1/8 inch in butt joints only. They have survived 3 summers.  I even experimented and left it in the car in the desert on a 107 deg day.  It also survived 2 rain day experiments. 

I might try this... 

https://www.rockler.com/rockler-precision-glue-applicator-bundle

I use Titebond III and have all three sizes of the Glue Bot bottles. The one I use mostly is the middle size. The tips do clog but I use a dental probe to clean the tip. I also have a glue roller I use to glue projects to their backers. My shop gets so warm and with the fans running I found on larger projects the glue was already starting to set (dry) before I could cover the entire surface. Using the roller I can cover an entire piece in less than a minute.

I just use the one that comes on the titebond bottle for the most part. Up until recently I never used much glue but recently been making some cutting boards and learned just how much glue one could use in this kind of woodwork. I use titebond III for those ( not pictured ). 

I also started making a lot of layered ornaments that require a small amount of glue and my small titebond bottle has a bit too large of a tip on it. I discovered my wife has this big glue bottle and the tip is just cut off whatever size you need with a small cap that snaps on / off. Don’t tell her but I swapped the tops so I’d have a smaller dropper type cap that works great. 

Like JT said, I just use what comes with the bottles and or rob them from other bottles 😂 and clean / wash them as needed. IF I was to start production on cutting boards and started using a lot of glue. My cheap thriftyness would just use the small titebond bottle and refill that instead of spending money on dispensers that will likely also need cleaning. 

I don’t even need any glue spreaders, God gave me 10 of those for that purpose. 😂

IMG_3786.jpeg

I use the bottles the glue came in also.  I do like Kevin's idea about swapping the tops between Tacky Glue and Titebond.  I might have to try that.  Sometimes the dropper top is a better option.

As for glue spreaders, I use acid brushes I buy in bulk at Harbor Freight.  Fingers do work better, but invariably, I end up smearing glue on some surface I don't want it and don't realize it until my fingerprint shows up somewhere after I've applied a finish.

Hmmm, the thought just occurred to me.  Maybe my fingerprint, in yellow glue, could be a new way to sign my work.  🤔