need new ideas...

A good place to start would be Steve Good's website, https://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/ . He posts a daily pattern there and has a huge catalog of 1000s of other patterns, all free to download. Lots of beginner stuff, but a fair amount of intermediate to advanced patterns as well. There is also a nice library of patterns on this site as well.

19 hours ago, Charlie E said:

When I'm in a rut with what I've been making I like to go to sites like Pinterest or Etsy and just search "scroll saw ideas", "scroll saw art" etc. and I usually get inspired. Sometimes to do something I see, and sometimes it just sparks a new idea. :) 

that sounds like a great idea! Thank you!!!

On 7/6/2024 at 3:15 PM, JJB said:

A good place to start would be Steve Good's website, https://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/ . He posts a daily pattern there and has a huge catalog of 1000s of other patterns, all free to download. Lots of beginner stuff, but a fair amount of intermediate to advanced patterns as well. There is also a nice library of patterns on this site as well.

thanks!

One thing that I have done a few hundred of is Steve Good name tags.  Cheap easy gift and anyone with a unique name loves them. I have done them for teams. Put in # plus * plus name.  

Here is the link to online version https://stevedgood.com/stencil/

I prefer one you download and run on a Windows computer.  It is in the blog but you have to scroll way down to bottom. 

The name plate maker is great for teachers.

New ideas, if I remember your buddy is young.  To keep his interest try to tap into his imagination.  Cartoons he watches.  Disney characters? 

What toys does he have. Can you add a toy something to enhance other toys? 

Toy story movies are based on old toys from us old guys era.  what would story story be 30 years from now?  What would the Woody character play with now? 

Have you seen people and pets scrollsaw theme?  Simple and cute.  Olympics are coming up,  maybe do some events with the same type of people.

Search for bandsaw boxes. Those will get your wood imagination going. Scrollsaw boxes are better than bandsaw boxes. 

For outside of the box, not for youngsters ,  the tattoo artistry is another way to get ideas. 

My dad would make up stories about road signs "Falling rock".  It was an Indian looking for his horse named "Falling rock".  He had side stories about life lessons.   

Make up a character, have your buddy name it and draw it.  Then run it through the scroll saw. 

Edited by preprius

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, preprius said:

New ideas, if I remember your buddy is young.  To keep his interest try to tap into his imagination.  Cartoons he watches.  Disney characters? 

What toys does he have. Can you add a toy something to enhance other toys? 

Toy story movies are based on old toys from us old guys era.  what would story story be 30 years from now?  What would the Woody character play with now? 

Have you seen people and pets scrollsaw theme?  Simple and cute.  Olympics are coming up,  maybe do some events with the same type of people.

Search for bandsaw boxes. Those will get your wood imagination going. Scrollsaw boxes are better than bandsaw boxes. 

For outside of the box, not for youngsters ,  the tattoo artistry is another way to get ideas. 

My dad would make up stories about road signs "Falling rock".  It was an Indian looking for his horse named "Falling rock".  He had side stories about life lessons.   

Make up a character, have your buddy name it and draw it.  Then run it through the scroll saw. 

thanks, but also i ment for my name to be me and my scroll saw but my mom would not let me so when you here me and my buddy, buddy  is my way of saying scroll saw🤣, this is my acount i got my scrollsaw for my birthday. its not a father and son its just the son. sorry for the confusion!!!

Edited by Me and my buddy

When I got board with my saw I started looking for alternative materials to cut.

Acrylic, Steve Good has an Angel cut from it. Card stock (paper) Steve Good has a pattern for a gift box mad from it. Corian, there is an article in the Scroll saw magazine on the subject, Sandwich between 1/8” plywood I have cut a small flower in a notepad to make it uniquely mine. then a piece of a leather belt became a key fob with that same flower cut in it….

If all else fails, buy a new pattern book. (There’s a new people and pets book)

Edited by Roberta Moreton
Added info

5 hours ago, Roberta Moreton said:

When I got board with my saw I started looking for alternative materials to cut.

Acrylic, Steve Good has an Angel cut from it. Card stock (paper) Steve Good has a pattern for a gift box mad from it. Corian, there is an article in the Scroll saw magazine on the subject, Sandwich between 1/8” plywood I have cut a small flower in a notepad to make it uniquely mine. then a piece of a leather belt became a key fob with that same flower cut in it….

If all else fails, buy a new pattern book. (There’s a new people and pets book)

okay thank you!!!

If only I had a little bit of this problem.. 😂 I tend to be the opposite of this.. so many things I want to make.. not only with the scroll saw but also the laser and cnc.. or just plain old woodworking things like cutting boards small furniture type things.. The list goes on.. and into doing other hobbies like building my car, building my jeep.. doing some upgrades to my house.. My wife currently has me remodeling / restoring our 5th wheel camper.. back in 2006 it developed a bad roof leak.. I stripped the whole roof off and rebuilt a couple of trusses and then all new decking and replaced the rubber roof.. replaced all the new roof vents etc etc. was most of a summer project and the one wall should have been done at the time but I was running out of summer weather.. now the awning is on this wall and it's always been weak in that mount area due to that roof leak back then.. so now we are working to restore the wall and remodel the inside. Too many projects and not enough time, LOL.. 

On 7/6/2024 at 1:54 PM, Me and my buddy said:

recently I have found new things to do and work on, I am trying to find something to do with a scroll saw but its not working i was wondering if you could give me ideas for enjoyable things on a scroll saw it would be very helpful. sorry that i have not been posting.

The problem with this question is we do not know what you have done on a scrollsaw to begin with. We all have family obligations and other projects we need to work on and that goes without saying. Everyone can say there is never enough time in the day to do everything and if you say that then carve out some alone time to enjoy a hobby. if that be scrolling then there are tons of projects as well as different types of projects that can be done with a scrollsaw. Be creative and combine woodworking skills that maybe you picked up with working on your house. Maybe you used a lathe some so combine projects that use both a lathe as well as a scrollsaw. I use a lathe and combine using a router with a lathe. I gravitated away from the scrollsaw in the past few years because I do not do shows any more and I have plenty of stock if need be. So I challenge myself on free times that I have on the lathe which is just as rewarding. My point is you do not need us to tell you what to do in your free time. But if you want suggestions on a scrollsaw give us some insight as to what you have done in the past. We can not follow you if you do not post so we have no idea what your talent level is. Help us to help you. 

27 minutes ago, Wichman said:

At the top of this page: community > member gallery > scroll down to the galleries, not far, click on blue button > add images > follow prompts.   :)

I've been here for years and never knew this even existed, LOL.. Though most could probably see my "gallery" by just visiting my etsy,amazon, and website that is always linked in my signature.. Though I don't sell everything I make so maybe I should make a gallery for those types of things..