Finding my way

I've been trying my hand at scroll sawing this past week and trying out many different designs and woods.

So far the only real success I have had with a completed project is using MDF but I'm not keen on the dust.

Most of my efforts either brake through a fault with the wood or snap / disintegrate due to the high fixed speed of my scroll saw.

Unfortunately, I also had an issue with my saw snapping its tensioning bolt but a 30 minute diy repair job solved that once and for all.

Regrettably, I think if I want to do complex / detailed work I will have to get another saw but that's for later on.

For now I what to see what I can do with the one I have, so I am just keeping at it.

I have learnt a lot since I started and am really enjoying it, the fact that I'm also getting the hang of it helps.

I was wondering, as for materials to try out, anyone cut perspex or metal?

I also have a plan to try combining scroll saw work with metal casting and wondered if anyone else combines other crafts with their scroll saw work?

Hello Steve, welcome! I'd love to know which machine your useing.Sorry for the trouble your having.Where there's a will there's a way.There's more than one way to skin a cat and im sure you'll find a way with that saw.Flyingdutchman has mettal cutting blades and i have every blade he sellsas well.Cutting metal requires slow speed and on turns the friction is high along with the heat build up and thats where the blade wants to break the most.I've cut sheet stainless no problem .just slow feeding and as slow as it will go speed.Not sure what perspex is.I would try something besides mdf as the dust is very harmfull to breath.give us more info as to what blade your useing ,saw,thickness of mdf etc. :)

The variable speed gizmo looks interesting (thanks WolfmoonCT).

Unfortunately, it seems to be a US product (110v) and I'm UK based (240v).

I couldn't find anything similar that was UK based when I did an internet search but I will keep looking now I know what to look for.

My saw .... I'm a little embarrassed to say it was a really cheap one (under £100).

It was what I could afford and it fitted into my price range (as a starter saw) giving me a chance to try my hand at this.

With hindsight, there are a number of important points that are not right with it, making it a poor choice for use on intricate work; tensioner is at the back making adjustment difficult (no quick tensioning), only takes pin blades (starting holes have to be 4mm) and its a single speed machine (high speed snaps the wood where lots of cuts / holes are in close proximity).

Longterm, I need one that has front or side tension adjustment (easy to reach), has variable speed and can take pin-less blades, this would greatly improve what I can do.

Regrettably, being UK based there doesn't seem to be a wide choice when it comes to machines, unlike the US but I am new to this and could be looking in the wrong place.

If any UK members have any machines they would care to recommend then I would be grateful.

For price and features I'm beginning to like the look of the Fox 16", which has variable speed and can use pin-less blades but it seems to have an availability problem.

Thanks amazingkevin for the information on cutting metal :thumbs:

ATB

Steve

Hi Steve...I have a single speed saw also....a foot pedal works well...on/off reduces the speed...kindof....if your saw is like mine and has a brushless motor a router speed controller will NOT work....makes the controller smoke a lot though...(yes I tried one on mine....lol) I use a pecking technique to cut....cut a little, let the saw catch up and cut a little more...there is a Japaneese guy on youtube that shows how to do it...pictures tells a thousand words...his name is Noho91 or something like that...I'll need to look it up to tell you for sure....hope this helps you get cutting...plywood is stronger...look for Baltic Birch ply.

Hey Doug,

Never thought of using a foot pedal on / off action to vary the speed, neat idea, one that could prove useful.

I will look out for some Baltic Birch ply and give it a try, thanks.

Just purchased some A4 size bits of perspex (plexiglass) 4mm thick to try out, so I have something to keep be busy over the weekend now :)

Perspex tends to melt it's self back together when you cut it....I think you need to sandwich it between two pieces of wood to get it to cut...

That's exactly what happened :lol:

The wood sandwich idea sounds like a good work-around, thanks.

Is all ply hardwood based?

I found some ply in the shed and did some more cutting but the dust got so strong I had to put a mask on, which did a very good job of helping steam up my glasses :sad:

Hi Steve - like you I am new to scroll saw work but having started I am really enjoying it - I bought a Ryobi 16" variable speed saw which take both pinless & pinned blades it also allows you to put the blades in so you can cut sideways on - very useful if you are cutting a piece which is longer then the 16" depth of the saw also the price here in New Zealand is $249.00 about 125 pounds sterling I think is very reasonable. I used to live in the UK up until 6 years ago before moving here to NZ but when I was in the UK I had several tools made by Ryobi so I know that it is a make avaible in the UK. Hope this helps. Kind regards Roger

It's always good to wear a mask no matter what wood you cut...BUT....you need a good one....I have a Dustbeegone mask.....quite expensive but well worth it....(Doesn't steam up your glasses and you forget you have it on after a while)there is an other thread on this site that talks quite extensively about all the masks availabe....maybe someone can attach a shortcut to it, on this thread.