A Message To All Members

You are correct, this forum and many others are a learning experience for everyone... even seasoned scrollers like me that has been scrolling for many years learn new ways of doing things.. you can teach a old dog new tricks.. but it depends on how stubborn the dog is as to whether he is using the new tricks he has learned or continues in his old tried and true method..  

I like to think I'm a self-taught scroller.  I picked up the hobby before forums like this existed. Fortunately I discovered and joined a local scroll saw club about 20 years ago and a whole new world opened up for me.  Following the advice of the senior members of the club, I subscribed to the scrolling magazines, found on-line sources for patterns, blades & supplies.  Later I discovered the forums.  IMHO, they are the next best thing to belonging to a local club.  So while I did teach myself most of the basics during the years between buying my first scroll saw and joining the club, forums like this have been a tremendous resource for me as I've continued to grow and pick up new things along the way.

2 hours ago, Bill WIlson said:

I like to think I'm a self-taught scroller.  I picked up the hobby before forums like this existed. Fortunately I discovered and joined a local scroll saw club about 20 years ago and a whole new world opened up for me.  Following the advice of the senior members of the club, I subscribed to the scrolling magazines, found on-line sources for patterns, blades & supplies.  Later I discovered the forums.  IMHO, they are the next best thing to belonging to a local club.  So while I did teach myself most of the basics during the years between buying my first scroll saw and joining the club, forums like this have been a tremendous resource for me as I've continued to grow and pick up new things along the way.

I too am a self taught scroller from way back. Forums like this were not there but there were some old forums that I am sure a few members here recall back in the day. There were many pattern makers that have pasted away but their work still lives on. This all paved the way for more talent. Hopefully along the way I did help a few people out with some of what I picked up along my journey down the path of this hobby which has been fun and rewarding. If asked a question I try my best to pass information on. Now as we all know there is always more than one way to do just about anything so the more ideas one has to chose from hope they can make up their own minds and follow their own paths. But bottom line is always have some fun along the way. Making a few $$$ is a bonus in the long run. Giving away our work is also so rewarding in many ways. Happy Scrolling.

On 7/8/2024 at 3:05 PM, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

I too am a self taught scroller from way back. Forums like this were not there but there were some old forums that I am sure a few members here recall back in the day. There were many pattern makers that have pasted away but their work still lives on. This all paved the way for more talent. Hopefully along the way I did help a few people out with some of what I picked up along my journey down the path of this hobby which has been fun and rewarding. If asked a question I try my best to pass information on. Now as we all know there is always more than one way to do just about anything so the more ideas one has to chose from hope they can make up their own minds and follow their own paths. But bottom line is always have some fun along the way. Making a few $$$ is a bonus in the long run. Giving away our work is also so rewarding in many ways. Happy Scrolling.

I only had photography as a hobby for too many years to count.  I suck at trying to build things because I have the attention span of a knat but found scrolling doable and could understand directions from the good people in this group. Never really got much from the YouTube videos.  I agree, giving away my work is rewarding and doubtful if I'd ever sell anything.

On 7/8/2024 at 12:56 PM, Bill WIlson said:

same with me (the i think im self taught part) i just got my scroll saw  for my birthday and i just went at it but you all have helped verry much!!!