Dog #5 scrolled this morning ~ Two more to go!

jimmyG

It was about 80 degrees in the shop this morning and humidity was way up there.. 
Tough to move the wood on the cast iron table so I had to toss some corn starch on it so I could turn it.
I've uses this clear shelf paper many times but the last few uses it was pulling  the plywood's veneer loose so there's tiny pieces pulled away which I sanded in the direction to keep more from being pulled loose.  It's like the shelf paper had Super 77 sprayed on it and even left a film.   Wondering if the hear & humidity has anything to do with it.  It still turn out okay as long as you don't look too close with the light raking across it...

Again, thanks to grandpa for the pattern!

jack-scroll-compare.jpg

1 hour ago, jimmyG said:

I've uses this clear shelf paper many times but the last few uses it was pulling  the plywood's veneer loose... Wondering if the heat & humidity has anything to do with it.  

I have had the same situation and I do believe the heat can deffinately affect the adheasive making it grip stronger.  Even age (sitting aroun on the shelf) seems to make the adeasive get stronger. A newly purchased product seems to release easier.

That being said,  I always sand the panel well (to min 600 grit) to get a good smooth surface before applying the shelf liner.  And, when I remember, I check the direction of the grain so when I remove it, I make sure to peel it off in the direction of the grain.  These steps make the removal easier and with minimum lift up of any veneer fibers.

I have also noted that some Ply has a much more rough grain than others.  I think the part of the tree use to make the venner also creates this rogher (less tight) grain which  will release the surface fibers more readily.  I find even the  Solid core Ply that I buy in pre-cut panels, the grain can feel different from panel to panel (some smooth and some much rougher).

The next time you remove it and pattern on shelf liner, you might want to try using a hair dryer/heat gun to losen the adheasive while you peel it off.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.  Hope it helps.

29 minutes ago, FrankEV said:

I have had the same situation and I do believe the heat can deffinately affect the adheasive making it grip stronger.  Even age (sitting aroun on the shelf) seems to make the adeasive get stronger. A newly purchased product seems to release easier.

That being said,  I always sand the panel well (to min 600 grit) to get a good smooth surface before applying the shelf liner.  And, when I remember, I check the direction of the grain so when I remove it, I make sure to peel it off in the direction of the grain.  These steps make the removal easier and with minimum lift up of any veneer fibers.

I have also noted that some Ply has a much more rough grain than others.  I think the part of the tree use to make the venner also creates this rogher (less tight) grain which  will release the surface fibers more readily.  I find even the  Solid core Ply that I buy in pre-cut panels, the grain can feel different from panel to panel (some smooth and some much rougher).

The next time you remove it and pattern on shelf liner, you might want to try using a hair dryer/heat gun to losen the adheasive while you peel it off.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.  Hope it helps.

Great advise as usual...  i sanded only to 400 and should have paid attention to grain direction. Hadn't thought about using heat I was actually thinking about adding cold to it next time but wondered if that would be worse.

I agree with Frank in that the heat could very well effect the adhesion of shelf liner to the wood. I've experienced the fibers lifting as well as delamination. I also sand to 600 before applying and rather than wiping or blowing the blank off before applying, I'll go ahead and apply the shelf liner with the slightest "dusting" of sawdust. So thin that you can't really see it but if you would wipe it with a rag, you'd see the dust. I also believe the longer you leave it on, the stronger the adhesive becomes.

You didn't mention this but I have also experienced some of the adhesive remaining on the piece after removing the shelf liner. Again, I believe this is partly due to the heat. It removes easily with Mineral Spirits but it is a little aggravating.

48 minutes ago, Dak0ta52 said:

I agree with Frank in that the heat could very well effect the adhesion of shelf liner to the wood. I've experienced the fibers lifting as well as delamination. I also sand to 600 before applying and rather than wiping or blowing the blank off before applying, I'll go ahead and apply the shelf liner with the slightest "dusting" of sawdust. So thin that you can't really see it but if you would wipe it with a rag, you'd see the dust. I also believe the longer you leave it on, the stronger the adhesive becomes.

You didn't mention this but I have also experienced some of the adhesive remaining on the piece after removing the shelf liner. Again, I believe this is partly due to the heat. It removes easily with Mineral Spirits but it is a little aggravating.

I'll go with a finer grain next time and that's a good idea not to blow off the fine dust.  The panel did feel a little sticky in some places.  I scrolled in the same heat a few days ago and didn't have this problem.  No mineral spirits for me.   Maybe I'm just still green yet.