Oscillating Multi Tool?

This is way off topic for scroll saw work but many folks here have expressed how much they like and use one of these multi tool things.. I'm sort of remodeling a 5th wheel travel trailer and needing to cut a line through the paneling so I don't destroy the whole inside of this since I'm hoping to just open up the wall and repair a small water damaged area and then put up a couple sheets of paneling. As some may know, or maybe not.. these things are glued and stapled together and the cupboards etc are screwed and glued from the outside of the trailer underneath the siding.. I'm hoping to be able to cut the paneling out and not have to destroy the cupboards etc. so was hoping to cut the panel up to near the edge of the cupboard.. 

Anyway, you guys think the multi tool would be good for cutting that paneling and if so what blade configuration would you recommend? 

I gotta say I bought this flex shaft tool from HF thinking it'd be a one time use tool on a project I was doing last winter in the house.. It has been used so much already in several projects including this camper rebuild job.. I only bought it as a cheapy one time use.. Being from HF I would think it should be broke by now..

Here is the flex shaft tool and I've worked the crap out of it.. should have broke by now but it keeps on going like the energizer bunny..LOL

https://www.harborfreight.com/20v-cordless-variable-speed-rotary-tool-kit-with-flexible-shaft-36-piece-tool-only-58672.html

Was thinking I'd get this multi tool.. anyone experience with this one? It's another one of those tools I don't have any use for it other than the job I'm currently working on.. however like the rotary tool, I'll probably use the crap out of it once i have one.. 😂

https://www.harborfreight.com/20v-brushless-cordless-variable-speed-oscillating-multi-tool-tool-only-58379.html 

Kevin, you can get small circular saw blade for the rotatory tool from HF:

https://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/rotary-oscillating-tools/rotary-tool-accessories/6-piece-hss-saw-blade-with-mandrel-set-67224.html

If these are not to your liking and you want the oscillating tool, then I would recomend the half moon saw blade, it is very adjustable sod you can adjust the depth of the cut:

https://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/rotary-oscillating-tools/multi-tool-accessories/round-half-moon-blades/3-12-in-bimetal-steel-half-moon-blade-for-oscillating-multi-tools-63131.html

34 minutes ago, Wichman said:

Kevin, you can get small circular saw blade for the rotatory tool from HF:

https://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/rotary-oscillating-tools/rotary-tool-accessories/6-piece-hss-saw-blade-with-mandrel-set-67224.html

If these are not to your liking and you want the oscillating tool, then I would recomend the half moon saw blade, it is very adjustable sod you can adjust the depth of the cut:

https://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/rotary-oscillating-tools/multi-tool-accessories/round-half-moon-blades/3-12-in-bimetal-steel-half-moon-blade-for-oscillating-multi-tools-63131.html

Thank you, I have the saw kit for the rotary tool but the tool really lacks in power with these saw blades.. It's what I've been using but I feel like the multi tool would have more power and cut a larger area at a time as opposed to the small circle blade. 

Thank you very much for your input. I'll check out the half moon blade.. I think it's probably the one I was looking at and thinking it'd be the best one I've seen so far.. not having any experience with the tool I thought I'd ask those that have used them. 

I bought mine, a Dremel, about 13 years ago to install a medicine chest in one of the cherry cabinets in our bathroom. I used the 1/2 moon blade. It worked great. I use the sander part with triangle paper all the time on my small odd-shaped projects. I'd be lost without it. If you already have some Bauer battery driven tools then all you need is the basic tool. You'll love it.

I would get an assortment of wood cutting blades.  You may well find that your remodeling project isn't a one blade fits all endeavor, much like scrolling.  If you do much of this type of work, you will end up using this thing more than you might imagine, so having a few different blades will benefit you in the long run.

At the least, I would add some sort of plunge/flush cut style blade.  It could be easier than a half moon blade at getting into any tight corners you may encounter.

BTW, the sander attachment sometimes comes in pretty handy as well.

Kevin,  here is a video of a down to earth guy I follow on Youtube.  You will see he uses a multitool to do the very thing you are considering.  https://youtu.be/vLkRlbAmyQw?feature=shared

I just bought a Milwaukee multitool based upon recommendations from carpenter friends.  Milwaukee has a deal if you buy 2 batteries and a charger you get a free tool of which the multitool is one of the options.  May want to check it out, the math works to take the deal.  

3 hours ago, Bill WIlson said:

I would get an assortment of wood cutting blades.  You may well find that your remodeling project isn't a one blade fits all endeavor, much like scrolling.  If you do much of this type of work, you will end up using this thing more than you might imagine, so having a few different blades will benefit you in the long run.

At the least, I would add some sort of plunge/flush cut style blade.  It could be easier than a half moon blade at getting into any tight corners you may encounter.

BTW, the sander attachment sometimes comes in pretty handy as well.

Assortment of blades is a great idea.. I hadn't thought about some smaller sized for tight areas so I'll have to see what is available.

Thank you for the advice given

2 hours ago, Badgerboy said:

Kevin,  here is a video of a down to earth guy I follow on Youtube.  You will see he uses a multitool to do the very thing you are considering.  https://youtu.be/vLkRlbAmyQw?feature=shared

I just bought a Milwaukee multitool based upon recommendations from carpenter friends.  Milwaukee has a deal if you buy 2 batteries and a charger you get a free tool of which the multitool is one of the options.  May want to check it out, the math works to take the deal.  

Milwaukee is probably the top brand when it comes to cordless.. and I use their cordless impacts and ratchets.. I'll look into the deal. 

For some reason when i click on the link you gave it just comes back to this topic, LOL.. not sure if it's a glitch or? 

2 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Milwaukee is probably the top brand when it comes to cordless.. and I use their cordless impacts and ratchets.. I'll look into the deal. 

For some reason when i click on the link you gave it just comes back to this topic, LOL.. not sure if it's a glitch or? 

I had the same problem.

I bought the Bauer from HF tonight.. I bought a couple different styles and sizes of blades too. Just went out and did a test cut a very small area and i think this is going to work perfectly for what I need it for on this job.. just what little I did use it I now can see that this might be another tool that now that I have I'll maybe be using it way more than I originally thought. I never really even looked closely at them before and had no idea how they worked.. Looking at all the different attachments that can be used with this thing really was amazing.. 

Thanks to all that have given their opinions on this topic. 

55 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

I bought the Bauer from HF tonight.. I bought a couple different styles and sizes of blades too. Just went out and did a test cut a very small area and i think this is going to work perfectly for what I need it for on this job.. just what little I did use it I now can see that this might be another tool that now that I have I'll maybe be using it way more than I originally thought. I never really even looked closely at them before and had no idea how they worked.. Looking at all the different attachments that can be used with this thing really was amazing.. 

Thanks to all that have given their opinions on this topic. 

You won't be sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using the crap out of this tool.. these campers are built with at least 10,000,000,000 staples and apparently they assemble the cupboards and things before putting the siding on as they are screwed in with screws from the outside underneath the siding. Not only staples and screws but also glued with something like liquid nail.. so basically this tool has been used non stop in this project. 

That all said we are looking at maybe just getting another camper... But I'm still going to sort of refurbish this either back into another camper or I'm going to make it a small workshop for my lasers and maybe the CNC as well. Who knows but I'm having fun ripping it apart anyway.. 🤣