An Intarsia Rose - My second attempt

FrankEV

6 hours ago, FrankEV said:

This is only my second Intarsia piece, and yes again, it is almost a direct copy of a work I found on-line.

For a full descriptive write up see my post in the Intarsia/Segmentation section.

Thanks for reading.

Rose.thumb.JPG.9841db7edd3e52b41dea87636a146195.JPG

Steve good has a rose segmented pattern that is super for intarsia. It is called Segmented Rose. Nice work. WARNING.............Intarsia is addictive. 

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Dave Monk said:

WARNING.............Intarsia is addictive. 

On these first two attemps I found the Scroll Saw cutting to be easy-peasy. 

The shaping work takes much more time to do well.  Working with the very small pieces. like the thorns on the Rose stem, is a stiff PITA.  Also, being able to visulize the image is very important.

I can also see where, if trying to be true to an image, wood color choices can be daunting.

Yes, it is more relaxing than cutting a 700 hole Art panel and I don't have to make a frame to mount the panel into.   However, I don't get to use my Air Brush to add color, which is a skill I'm trying to improve on.

Not too sure if I will get addicted to doing Intarsia, but I can see developng some of my own patterns and doing the work along with my other work.  I do need a break now and then from the Art Panel work that I do.

BTW I'm curious, if you were to do this piece, what would your wood choices be?

Edited by FrankEV

2 hours ago, FrankEV said:

On these first two attemps I found the Scroll Saw cutting to be easy-peasy. 

The shaping work takes much more time to do well.  Working with the very small pieces. like the thorns on the Rose stem, is a stiff PITA.  Also, being able to visulize the image is very important.

I can also see where, if trying to be true to an image, wood color choices can be daunting.

Yes, it is more relaxing than cutting a 700 hole Art panel and I don't have to make a frame to mount the panel into.   However, I don't get to use my Air Brush to add color, which is a skill I'm trying to improve on.

Not too sure if I will get addicted to doing Intarsia, but I can see developng some of my own patterns and doing the work along with my other work.  I do need a break now and then from the Art Panel work that I do.

BTW I'm curious, if you were to do this piece, what would your wood choices be?

I think your wood choices were good. I have done roses in Cedar, aspen, canary and padauk. There are lots of different color roses. 

Edited by Dave Monk