trying a new hobby on for size

Greyhaven

I am attempting to scratch an artistic itch. Been into some form of woodworking for a while, mostly carpentry,but have made bookcases, display shelves, Head and foot boards and the like. Now that I'm retired and 74 I'm trying to size my projects to reflect that. There seems to be an almost unlimited options in scroll sawing and being retired allows me plenty of time to explore this one. I'm located in beautiful downtown Maine and some of my other hobbies are nature photography, astrophotography and astronomical observing from my small backyard observatory. Thanks for allowing me to participate here.

Grey

You are so welcome to the village.  I personally think the scroll saw is one of the most versatile tools in a shop.  Pictures, silhouettes, bowls, boxes, puzzles, 3D cutting, inlay, marquetry, intarsia all fun.  The list may go on.  And except for the wood, it is a pretty cheap hobby, after you get the saw you want to keep.  I think you will enjoy it here.

Edited by Scrappile

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to village. 

There are some great tips and tricks all from the experts.  

There also some great artists hanging around here.

I am a visual only Backyard astromony.  Also read "cloudy nights" forum a lot. 

Me. Mark Eason  in California 

Edited by preprius

• 4 weeks later...