Scroll saw upgrade - Grizzly G0969 - Pegas 21"

I've only been scrolling for about 6 months and currently have a Wen 3922 16 inch saw. The saw works fine, but fretwork is painfully slow due to the design (lack of rising arm and re-tensioning the blade). So, I'm looking for an upgrade.

I'm leaning towards the Pegas 21 inch, but came across the Grizzly G0969 21 inch saw. It looks very much like the Pegas at a much lower price - delivered for about $400 less. I like that the table is much larger than on the Pegas at about 20 x 28 inches and that it's made in Taiwan (not China as are many of the other Pegas-like saws). The owner's manual is excellent, especially when compared to the Pegas manual. 

I've searched for reviews and videos on this saw but haven't found anything.

Does anyone here have experience with this saw or even with Grizzly as a company?

Any other thoughts on how it might compare to the Pegas will be appreciated. 

While I'm here I might as well ask for any comments on upgrading from an entry level saw to a saw like the Pegas. What improvements will I notice? I'm sure moving from one internal cut to the next will be much more efficient. Other noticeable improvements?

Thanks

No experience with the Grizzly scroll saws but do have two Grizzly bandsaws that I have had for years.  Both of the bandsaws have been very good for me with no problems at all. I once called Grizzly for another manual for one of the bandsaws a couple of years ago and it was sent out very quickly and the rep on the phone was very friendly and had good knowledge about the product. Best of luck in your scroll saw search.

Be interested in how you like it if you choose to purchase one.  Their write-up is a little overstated, implying their tilting saw is a unique system.   There are several brands that do the same and that feature has been around for many years.  But it still could be a good saw.  Grizzly has a pretty good reputation.  I have one of their bandsaw.  A good saw.  I have purchased a couple of other tools from them, but not all of their brand.   I have Never had any problem with their service or shipping.

I've seen this saw quite some time ago and to me it looks like the WEN saw in green instead, LOL.. IF it is the same saw then I've seen a lot of complaints about the motor lacking power to cut through some of the thicker wood.. I think I've even seen some motor failures posted too.. https://www.lowes.com/pd/WEN-WEN-LL2156-21-Inch-1-6-Amp-Variable-Speed-Parallel-Arm-Scroll-Saw-with-Extra-Large-Dual-Bevel-Steel-Table/5012515583?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-tol-_-ggl-_-PMAX_TOL_000_Priority_Item-_-5012515583-_-online-_-0-_-0&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwhvi0BhA4EiwAX25uj_od8okrUKwG6wXINzRW2cZzugkPznZ6KOiNacv6iJodEuY4GOm89hoCfd8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Might be worth watching for a good used saw to pop up on marketplace or craigslist etc.. but if you insist on new.. the Jet 18" saw was priced at one time in between the DeWalt and the Pegas.. Not sure how the prices have changed I'm sure since the couple years ago when I was looking at them.  

16 hours ago, Richard Hotchkiss said:

No experience with the Grizzly scroll saws but do have two Grizzly bandsaws that I have had for years.  Both of the bandsaws have been very good for me with no problems at all. I once called Grizzly for another manual for one of the bandsaws a couple of years ago and it was sent out very quickly and the rep on the phone was very friendly and had good knowledge about the product. Best of luck in your scroll saw search.

Thanks for your sharing your experience with some of Grizzly's other products. Good to know you have a positive view of the company. 

12 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Be interested in how you like it if you choose to purchase one.  Their write-up is a little overstated, implying their tilting saw is a unique system.   There are several brands that do the same and that feature has been around for many years.  But it still could be a good saw.  Grizzly has a pretty good reputation.  I have one of their bandsaw.  A good saw.  I have purchased a couple of other tools from them, but not all of their brand.   I have Never had any problem with their service or shipping.

Thanks for sharing your good experiences with Grizzly.

I agree about their write-up being overstated and I'm becoming a little skeptical of them. On the product page they say, "Recognized as the best scroll saw for pros on bobvila.com!", which is true, but after reading the bobvila.com review I don't think the saw was actually reviewed. In it they say, "It also comes with a pressure-sensitive foot pedal, so we were able to control the speed of the blade by increasing or decreasing foot pressure".  This is not the case and the website and manual both say the pedal is simply an on/off switch. 

Also, the website and manual say the machine is made in Taiwan, but looking closely at the pictures on the website there is a sticker that appears to say, "Made for Grizzly in China". I asked for clarification via the webpage's Q&A. Hopefully they will post my question and the answer.

10 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

I've seen this saw quite some time ago and to me it looks like the WEN saw in green instead, LOL.. IF it is the same saw then I've seen a lot of complaints about the motor lacking power to cut through some of the thicker wood.. I think I've even seen some motor failures posted too.. https://www.lowes.com/pd/WEN-WEN-LL2156-21-Inch-1-6-Amp-Variable-Speed-Parallel-Arm-Scroll-Saw-with-Extra-Large-Dual-Bevel-Steel-Table/5012515583?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-tol-_-ggl-_-PMAX_TOL_000_Priority_Item-_-5012515583-_-online-_-0-_-0&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwhvi0BhA4EiwAX25uj_od8okrUKwG6wXINzRW2cZzugkPznZ6KOiNacv6iJodEuY4GOm89hoCfd8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Might be worth watching for a good used saw to pop up on marketplace or craigslist etc.. but if you insist on new.. the Jet 18" saw was priced at one time in between the DeWalt and the Pegas.. Not sure how the prices have changed I'm sure since the couple years ago when I was looking at them.  

Thanks, I don't think the WEN 2156 is similar to the Grizzly G0969. It appears to be more of a Pegas like clone. Bolt patterns match, arm tilts instead of the table, controls seem identical, etc. However, if it's made in China as I posted above, it's off my list.  

1 hour ago, ScrollerGuy said:

Thanks, I don't think the WEN 2156 is similar to the Grizzly G0969. It appears to be more of a Pegas like clone. Bolt patterns match, arm tilts instead of the table, controls seem identical, etc. However, if it's made in China as I posted above, it's off my list.  

The G0969 is probably fine.  Like Scrappile, it annoyed me that they claimed this saw as "unique."  Nevertheless, if they can step up and support the saw, it might be an interesting choice.  Besides Pegas, Other similar Taiwan saws are the Jet, Seyco, and King, and overseas Axminster and Carbatec.

If I lived in/near Atlanta, I would be very tempted to go Dewalt, as they have a crew of Scrollers in the club there that are experts at repair/maintenance.  Repairs for any of the Pegas type saws are dicey.  If I was close to Seyco, I would go with them, even if I don't like their current saw style as much.  Since I don't live anywhere nears those places, Pegas might be my choice, via ArtCrafters/Denny, mostly because I like Denny and he will try to help facilitate warrantee repairs.  Currently, my older Taiwan Ex was Seyco, my current 16" is King.

Edited by hotshot

Refer to the article "Excalibur Scroll Saw - What Happened", published on this forum a few years ago for an interesting read about them and a list of brands manufactured in Taiwan.  Note that Pegas is also manufactured there.  But there is a plant in China (not Taiwan) that makes a scroll saw like the Excalibur but not necessarily to the same quality standards as those made in Taiwan.  I do not know where the Grizzly is made.  

Grizzly was quick to reply to my online question. No explanation of the sticker indicating China. 

"

Q: Is the G0969 made in Taiwan or China? The manual says Taiwan, but a sticker on side of the machine appears to say, "Made for Grizzly in China".

Web Questiona hour ago
1 Answer

A: Thank you for reaching out with your question. The G0969 21" V/S Scroll Saw with Foot Pedal is manufactured in Taiwan.

Grizzly Customer Servicea hour ago"

29 minutes ago, TAIrving said:

Refer to the article "Excalibur Scroll Saw - What Happened", published on this forum a few years ago for an interesting read about them and a list of brands manufactured in Taiwan.  Note that Pegas is also manufactured there.  But there is a plant in China (not Taiwan) that makes a scroll saw like the Excalibur but not necessarily to the same quality standards as those made in Taiwan.  I do not know where the Grizzly is made.  

Thanks for the linked article about the Excaliber history. Very interesting and informative. 

I have a Woodcraft store not too far away where I hope to see many of the above-mentioned saws, though not the Grizzly, on display. Their website lists the King 21" available, which contradicts the linked article, (now 6 years old) so things may have changed a little since it was written. If I'm following the timeline correctly, the King 21" is the original Excaliber EX-21. 

3 hours ago, ScrollerGuy said:

...... If I'm following the timeline correctly, the King 21" is the original Excaliber EX-21. 

Original in terms of Excalibur is a bit more complicated.  The King is almost identical to the Excalibur Anniversary edition (black and gold table).  The prior Taiwan model of the EX was Green and had no holes in the table (no dust collection), which is the model I have.  There were multiple EX version prior to that, including all the earliest models being made in Canada (as were Dewalt at the time).

That said, the King, Pegas, Seyco and ect are coming out of the same factory as the prior Taiwan Excaliburs, but but none of these, including King, are part of the original company.  A few employees of General, that were involved with Excalibur, did leave General and landed at King.  Not sure if they are still there or not.

Edited by hotshot

If you look down in the QA questions, this was asked prior also.  The prior question was from me a few months back, and that time as well, they confirmed the saw was manufactured in Taiwan.  However, I zoomed in on the Grizzly saw, sure enough, it says made in China.  I have a hard time believing the sticker is wrong, but who knows.  Personally, if there is any chance this is truly China, I would avoid like the plague.

In the QA section of the Grizzly site, I did ask about the sticker discrepency.

Edited by hotshot

2 hours ago, hotshot said:

Personally, if there is any chance this is truly China, I would avoid like the plague.

In the QA section of the Grizzly site, I did ask about the sticker discrepency.

I agree. It was the low price and Taiwanese origin that led to my original post.

I see your question on the webpage, but no response yet. Will be interesting to see how/if it is answered. 

2 hours ago, ScrollerGuy said:

I see your question on the webpage, but no response yet. Will be interesting to see how/if it is answered. 

Here is their official response:

"They are indeed made in Taiwan. We strive to ensure accuracy in all our items, but errors can occasionally occur. We apologize for any inconvenience and reserve the right to make changes and correct errors as needed.  

CUSTOMER SERVICE"

Edited by hotshot

I had a Pegas scroll saw and now own a Grizzly G0969. I chose the Grizzly after doing an extensive research as to the components, where it was manufactured and Grizzly customer service reviews. Both saws practically have the same components as far as motor, body shape and style, and features. Most likely manufactured by the same Taiwanese factory. With the exception that the Grizzly has a more convenient (for me) larger table. I have had dealings with Grizzly customer service on other occasions and they have always done right by me and have been prompt responding.

So far, I have been very pleased with the Grizzly's  performance and have no issues or complains. It is a smooth and quiet saw. Any questions, please let me know.

15 minutes ago, Juan Rodriguez said:

I had a Pegas scroll saw and now own a Grizzly G0969. I chose the Grizzly after doing an extensive research as to the components, where it was manufactured and Grizzly customer service reviews. Both saws practically have the same components as far as motor, body shape and style, and features. Most likely manufactured by the same Taiwanese factory. With the exception that the Grizzly has a more convenient (for me) larger table. I have had dealings with Grizzly customer service on other occasions and they have always done right by me and have been prompt responding.

So far, I have been very pleased with the Grizzly's  performance and have no issues or complains. It is a smooth and quiet saw. Any questions, please let me know.

Thanks for posting your positive experience with Grizzly, both the saw and customer service. I'm curious to know whether your machine has the "MFG for Grizzly in China" sticker on the side?

3 hours ago, Juan Rodriguez said:

I had a Pegas scroll saw and now own a Grizzly G0969..........

Juan, from the Grizzly product video, it looks like the dust collection is different on the Grizzly, but, the images is a little blurred, so I can't tell for sure.

I'm interested in that aspect as the membrane "Idea" was very bad in my opinion, and have been waiting for some company to come out with something better.  I didn't tolerate the membrane on the King very long before I ripped it off.

Edited by hotshot