Grain On This Cherry

Check out this grain on this cherry board. I was needing a piece of cherry for a project and only thing I have around here for cherry is all rough cut. Hard to see what the grain actually looks like in rough cut but I’m not using this for my scroll saw project after seeing this grain. Thinking about a couple cutting boards with walnut on both sides and this cherry being the center or making it as a table. 

What would you do with it? It’s only about 5.5 inch wide after edging it and there is a bad spot on one edge that either would have to edge another 1/2 off or plane it down another 1/4 inch. 

IMG_3835.jpeg

IMG_3836.jpeg

IMG_3837.jpeg

51 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Check out this grain on this cherry board. I was needing a piece of cherry for a project and only thing I have around here for cherry is all rough cut. Hard to see what the grain actually looks like in rough cut but I’m not using this for my scroll saw project after seeing this grain. Thinking about a couple cutting boards with walnut on both sides and this cherry being the center or making it as a table. 

What would you do with it? It’s only about 5.5 inch wide after edging it and there is a bad spot on one edge that either would have to edge another 1/2 off or plane it down another 1/4 inch. 

IMG_3835.jpeg

IMG_3836.jpeg

IMG_3837.jpeg

Fill it in with clear resin and highlight it.

That might make a pretty interesting small box.  Used for the sides, you could miter the corners and keep the pieces in order such that the grain will flow the whole way around the box.  Or use pieces for lids, and a different, contrasting species of wood for the sides, so that the grain of the lids really pops. 

Sometimes you can accentuate the defects in wood and get some pretty cool results.

On 7/31/2024 at 2:13 PM, Davevand said:

I always wait until I figure out what I am going to make with the board before I do more than a skim plane to see what the grain looks like. No reason to make the entire board narrower or thinner for just a small defect.

Yes very true, I pretty much do the same thing.. though I do plain it so most of the rough cut portion is smoothed out. 

I ended up cutting the board in half and made a cutting board out of the darker half.. going to make another board out of the other half too. I don't have any photos of the cutting board just yet but I do have it oiled and drying and boy does it make a nice looking board.. I used dark walnut and sandwiched this cherry in the middle. I'll take some photos and post them in a few days.. hopefully if I don't forget, LOL..