First attempt at a Frame and a Bankys

sydknee

7 hours ago, sydknee said:

Thanks Frank. That was the first I have ever made so I’m pleased with the positive feedback.

Wouldyou flip it over and take a pic.  I'm interested in how you constructed the frame and attached the cut panel.

And how thick is your cut panel?

Edited by FrankEV

Hi Frank,

the cut panel is a piece of salvage ply that I had tucked away with something like this project in mind. It’s 4mm and was a little warped so I used a 8mm backing panel to straighten it. Glued and screwed.  The frame might be a little over engineered but better on the safe side than sorry is my thinking. Needs a bit of touching up.

image.jpg

35 minutes ago, Charlie E said:

Nice job! I had a piece of ply just like that from a drawer bottom as well. Wish I had a pile of it. :) 

I have a very large counter that has a dozen or so big drawers from a demolished department store. A bit of work to do but if I need a nicely grained ply I replace the bottoms with some mdf 

15 hours ago, sydknee said:

...The frame might be a little over engineered but better on the safe side than sorry ...

Over engineered, I'll say! 

Your total 12mm (1/2") is a little thick, but I understand why you did that.  I  cut all my art panels in nominal 1/8" thick ply and glue them to a 1/4" ply backer for a total 3/8" thick panel.  I use a homemade gluing press to glue the cut panel to the backer.  Any warp in the cut panel is eliminated while drying in the press.

This is what the back of my Floating frame looks like.

FloatingFrameflipped.thumb.jpg.227cb6bddf5551ed46f7a372167c2dd6.jpg  

This is a drawing of the construction detail.

GalleryFloatFrameeigthgap.thumb.jpg.2cd50cef166a0e51d659a134fb7bd67d.jpg

I just noticed that the right end of the top dimension is to the wrong place.  Should be to the end of the panel.

I do brad nail and glue the 1/4" material into the Rabet.  I'm thinking of using my router to make the rails in one piece from 3/4" x 1 3/4" wide material.  The width of the rabbet would be a min. of 7/8".   I will need to buy  a bigger rabbeting bit and the rabbet will need multiple passes, but would make the frame glue-up much simpler.

My only problem is with the 1/4" Z-clips I use to mount the panel into the frame.  I have to ve very careful to locate the screw in a full 3/8" thick section or the 516" long screws I use will poke through. not nice!

I also just use a small sawtoot hanger as I don't want the frame to tilt when hung on the wall.   Scroll Saw art shoul be hung flat on the wall at eye level for best viewing from about 4' away.

And, yes, I burn my Logo in to the panel with a lazer engraver.

Thanks for showing the back side.

Hope this might be of some value.

Edited by FrankEV

On 7/26/2024 at 9:23 PM, FrankEV said:

Cute image!

Very nice job on the gallery type floating frame.

On 7/27/2024 at 5:32 AM, FrankEV said:

Wouldyou flip it over and take a pic.  I'm interested in how you constructed the frame and attached the cut panel.

And how thick is your cut panel?

13 hours ago, FrankEV said:

Over engineered, I'll say! 

Your total 12mm (1/2") is a little thick, but I understand why you did that.  I  cut all my art panels in nominal 1/8" thick ply and glue them to a 1/4" ply backer for a total 3/8" thick panel.  I use a homemade gluing press to glue the cut panel to the backer.  Any warp in the cut panel is eliminated while drying in the press.

This is what the back of my Floating frame looks like.

FloatingFrameflipped.thumb.jpg.227cb6bddf5551ed46f7a372167c2dd6.jpg  

This is a drawing of the construction detail.

GalleryFloatFrameeigthgap.thumb.jpg.2cd50cef166a0e51d659a134fb7bd67d.jpg

I just noticed that the right end of the top dimension is to the wrong place.  Should be to the end of the panel.

I do brad nail and glue the 1/4" material into the Rabet.  I'm thinking of using my router to make the rails in one piece from 3/4" x 1 3/4" wide material.  The width of the rabbet would be a min. of 7/8".   I will need to buy  a bigger rabbeting bit and the rabbet will need multiple passes, but would make the frame glue-up much simpler.

My only problem is with the 1/4" Z-clips I use to mount the panel into the frame.  I have to ve very careful to locate the screw in a full 3/8" thick section or the 516" long screws I use will poke through. not nice!

I also just use a small sawtoot hanger as I don't want the frame to tilt when hung on the wall.   Scroll Saw art shoul be hung flat on the wall at eye level for best viewing from about 4' away.

And, yes, I burn my Logo in to the panel with a lazer engraver.

Thanks for showing the back side.

Hope this might be of some value.

Thanks, that is very helpful.