Question for Hegner owners

No pictures it didn't happen, LOL

What model did you get? I'm not certain if the quick clamps are available for the 14" saws but I think you can for the 18" saws.. probably better off to listen to those that have more experience with these than me. I've just never seen the 14" with the quick clamp on it.. Even the newer ones.. I'm thinking the 93  18" models probably don't have the up front tension release either..

Here is a picture of the quick clamp on my 2021 Hegner, you can see the part that holds the top clamp in place, if you saw has that, then you should be good to go. The quick clamps "body" is a standard sized blade clamp with a special screw and knurled knob. When installed the quick clamp is held snugly in place by that screw on the top.

20240803_161005.thumb.jpg.7557cf7b1eaa29b8fb09c4e9fa375130.jpg 

If I'm not mistaken you can use the QuickClamp on any of the Hegner saws. But you can't use the front tension release mechanism on the 14-inch saw. They do offer a quick tension release for the rear of the saws that I think will work on all saws. As was suggested call or email Wolfgang.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for all your replies. 
Sorry Kevin, no photos, as I have not picked it up yet. I’ll post one when I bring it home 
it is a MutliMax 18 variable speed. 
if I purchase the clamp like the one in the picture that Wichman posted, without a quick release, will fret work be a pain in the neck?
I made the mistake of surfing Marketplace yesterday morning and found the saw. Like an idiot, I pursued it. 

Edited by Gonzo

5 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Thanks for all your replies. 
Sorry Kevin, no photos, as I have not picked it up yet. I’ll post one when I bring it home 
it is a MutliMax 18 variable speed. 
if I purchase the clamp like the one in the picture that Wichman posted, without a quick release, will fret work be a pain in the neck?
I made the mistake of surfing Marketplace yesterday morning and found the saw. Like an idiot, I pursued it. 

Fretwork with the QuickClamp should be no problem.

I think having the quick clamp will help tremendously.. Sounds like a good saw as not all of them were variable speed and the Multimax 18's are perfect size. 

I might be wrong but I thought I read where you could upgrade those older 18" saws to have the up front tension release? Though probably not cheap as nothing in the Hegner parts line is cheap, LOL 

Back when I had mine I would have had to change the upper arm. I forgot what the price was but I just got use to the tension knob in the rear. I had a mark on the knob to know exactly where to stop to tighten properly. I wound up using mine basically for cutting those collapsible baskets because I would set it up for the correct angle. I made so many of those things back then it was worth it. That was a smooth cutting saw for sure. I was not a fan of the blade holder but you get use to them. I added the knurled blade knob which helped. I had extra clamps so I preloaded some which helped production speed. Back then I was just entering the world of scrolling and had all the $$$ dreams. I have no complaints and would do it over if all things equal but as we read here more often people are having a hard time at shows. It is too bad. Man I must have made hundreds of those type baskets as well as converted many to clocks and even mirrors which Rick suggested too.   Used various woods but mainly maple, walnut mahagony which was beautiful to cut and of course oak which I stained a dark color at times too. Again one of these days I need to convert photos from film to digital. I can still remember setting up my table display in my living room to try to get a layout so all I had to do at show was unpack and display. I made this 8 foot plywood wall with stands for all my shelves and wall hanging things. I cut it in half and used a piano hinge so easier to carry but 3/4" plywood X 8 feet was not lite. Man the good old days. brings back the memories. I made a bunch of display shelves for the stores I was setup in and those are still in my attic. I even made those with a fancy scrolled design. I was truely into scrolling back then. I think I still have a few of those baskets tucked away in storage somewhere. I have so much older projects that fell out of favor over the years but never got rid of them. So they are still part of inventory. I also have a bunch of projects that are half done that would really still look good today because people have not seen them for years. Have one of Dirk Boelman's mantle clocks that I really would love to finish. Wow Memory Lane.  

I bought a brand new Hegner a year and half ago.  I really like it. That’s why I thought I’d get another one. (I have two shops, my winter shop is in the basement and my summer shop is in an uninsulated detached garage.). I also have two EX-21’s. I guess I’m becoming a hoarder of scrollsaws. I prefer the blade clamps on the Hegner vs the EX21’s and they have the Pegas chucks. 
I’m picking up the saw and a few other things in the morning. I’ll give Patti at Hegner a call to see what she recommends. 
Thanks again for all your input, I do appreciate it

9 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

I think having the quick clamp will help tremendously.. Sounds like a good saw as not all of them were variable speed and the Multimax 18's are perfect size. 

I might be wrong but I thought I read where you could upgrade those older 18" saws to have the up front tension release? Though probably not cheap as nothing in the Hegner parts line is cheap, LOL 

As far as I know they are. Only the short saws can't. Not sure about the 22 inch.