OUCH!

Would you believe that after decades of scrolling I actually ran my finger into the blade (DOH!). I was cutting a piece for an intarsia project I'm working on,  was concentrating on the line to such a degree I didn't see my finger heading for the blade. I sure realized it when my finger hit the blade! Good thing  I still have decent reflexes even at my age (lol.) 

20240804_213709.jpg

30 minutes ago, Hawk said:

Would you believe that after decades of scrolling I actually ran my finger into the blade (DOH!). I was cutting a piece for an intarsia project I'm working on,  was concentrating on the line to such a degree I didn't see my finger heading for the blade. I sure realized it when my finger hit the blade! Good thing  I still have decent reflexes even at my age (lol.) 

20240804_213709.jpg

I did that too. Did it on my table saw too.

That looks painful!  Glad to hear it wasn't any worse.  I did not know they would cut that much.  

What size blade were you using?  I would not think you could do that with a #1 or smaller.  

I have touched the back and sides of a scroll saw blade while cutting and was surprised at how hot they get.  

7 hours ago, TAIrving said:

That looks painful!  Glad to hear it wasn't any worse.  I did not know they would cut that much.  

What size blade were you using?  I would not think you could do that with a #1 or smaller.  

I have touched the back and sides of a scroll saw blade while cutting and was surprised at how hot they get.  

I was using a #5 - 2 way cut. Funny thing I try to always be aware of how close to the edge of the wood I getting because I know the blade will "pop" out as it exits the wood. I was so tuned into the line I failed to see the wood!

When I bought my Hegner in 1998 at a wood working show here in Jersey,the salesman was advertising the saw as one that you could not cut yourself on.Of course he did not demonstrate it by using his fingers.I have been very lucky not to ever cut myself on my scroll saw,but i did several time on a band saw,that really hurts.

Will

I only have two hurts on a scroll saw, one I, like Kevin, touched a hot blade, and got a blister.  The second hurt, although so far I have survived, is breaking a blade on my Hegner.  Many near heart attacks!  All the years I have had it and I still have a near heart attack when it happens!  Now on the table saws. One finger is about 1/16” shorter than it used to be.  several big bruises and hits that put me on my knees.   And a trip to emergency for 20 stitches to get the back of my hand sewed back down.  I almost lost the use of my important middle finger.  How could I express myself without the use of that finger?  

Edited by Scrappile

It is never good reading of accidents that happen in a shop. any tool in a shop can hurt but any tool that has a cutting blade can hurt that much more. stay safe and work with much care. My biggest accident was with an exacto knife. i was cutting the molds off I use for my pen blank making that I use when pour resins, and the blade slipped and it was a decent cut. Bandaid did the trick but being on blood thinners, that was not pretty. What a mess. 

I did have an incident with a hacksaw blade on my finger. Held it together before it started to bleed and had my wife apply some CA glue over the cut. It never bled and healed in 3 days!. When I had my L-4, L-5 back fusion done, they CA glued a pad over the incision instead of stitching and it healed and came off in a few days. 

2 hours ago, munzieb said:

I did have an incident with a hacksaw blade on my finger. Held it together before it started to bleed and had my wife apply some CA glue over the cut. It never bled and healed in 3 days!. When I had my L-4, L-5 back fusion done, they CA glued a pad over the incision instead of stitching and it healed and came off in a few days. 

Those are my vertebra numbers that get screwed up on me the most. Have had them go out so many times and the worse was during the pandemic. My chiropractor would not open the office because we were in lock down so for 2 months I suffered in pain. How did your surgery go? was there any side effects? Do you have limitations like movement with the fusion? Thanks.

I'm 3 months into recovery from major back surgery, about a month ago I was able to ditch the walker.  I have been useing a cane that actually belonged to my grandfather, I was given one of the newer aluminum canes by the girl who was my PT instructor, but I didn't like it.  I am having balance problems now, but THANKFULLY, I am not experienceing any pain.

This is a picture of a model the doctor showed to me and Ann Marie before the surgery.

IMG_2183.jpeg

Rick I went through almost the same thing L-4, L-5 fusion back in Dec 22.  A little less hardware than you. It took me about 9 months to get close to normal. They had me walking right away but it wasn't easy but got easier as I got to the 9 month point. Now trying to do 2-3 miles a day. It will get better. 

1 hour ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Those are my vertebra numbers that get screwed up on me the most. Have had them go out so many times and the worse was during the pandemic. My chiropractor would not open the office because we were in lock down so for 2 months I suffered in pain. How did your surgery go? was there any side effects? Do you have limitations like movement with the fusion? Thanks.

It was an overnight stay in the hospital and walked out with some pain. Sleeping was an issue. Had to move around various beds and couches like a cat trying to find a good spot. It got better day by day but the original pain before the surgery went away.