Granddaughter's Next present

heppnerguy

17 hours ago, jerry walters said:

This is really nice Richard.  I like the looks of intarsia, but I just can't get into it.  Lot of folks here really do a nice job.

Jerry

I started my scroll saw hobby because of a booth I ran across in a small town celebration and I could not believe  that anyone could even consider that they could make something out of wood that looked so fantastic and impossible to me. It was a couple of years after I had seen that booth that I ran across a lady in Wisconsin that was also selling them in a little shop. I asked her what that art was called and she told me it was intarsia. After I got back home from that vacation I looked it up on the computer and decided to give it a try. I did not own a scroll saw machine but I did have a band saw so I made myself a simple 7 piece pattern of a dolphin intarsia I had seen on the computer and cut it on my band saw. I knew that diving into something new to me like intarsia meant I needed to  start with something very simple. Well after a bit of sanding to get the different colored wood to match without gaps, I was surprised to find out I could actually do intarsia and I fell in love with it and soon I had purchased my first scroll saw and purchased a pattern. I made somewhere around 25 different objects and I loved it even though I was not an artist at it, I was still happy and I was instantly receiving great comments from family and friends.

My point is....If you can scroll, and I know you can do that well, you can also do intarsia. Start with a simple pattern and give it a try.

Dick

heppnerguy

15 hours ago, wombatie said:

It looks great Dick, she will love it.

Marg

thank you Marg. I believe she will enjoy adding it to all the other animal intarsia I have made for her. I asked her if she is getting a little bored with my projects and her reply is, "No way. I am proud to hang your gifts in a place where everyone can see and admire them. That make me feel really good too.

Dick

heppnerguy

8 hours ago, barb.j.enders said:

Lovely!  I sure it will be much appreciated.

I am confident that she will as she continues to ask for more to add to her rather large collection she has hanging on her wall. Intarsia is her favorite decoration in her home. That makes it really worth while making them for her too.

Thank you for your nice comments. I appreciate them a lot

Dick

heppnerguy

7 hours ago, daveww1 said:

that's a beautiful bear, great job

Thank you for your nice comments on my project. I enjoyed making it too. As I get older I find my work is getting to be a little bid difficult to do and I have never been nearly as good as many other people are but I just have to try and believe in myself and continue to try to do the best I know how to do.

Dick

heppnerguy

6 hours ago, Hudson River Rick said:

GREAT job Dick.

Get ready for 1 HAPPY granddaughter.

Rick

Thank you for your fun comment. I am fairly certain that she will like it as she has a large number of my pieces and displays them all in here house and continues to ask for more. She makes my shop time worth while. Luckily she does not see all the try intarsia artists that gives me the incentive to continue to keep trying to do a little better with mine. As I get older, it is more difficult for me in my shop but  I am not giving up yet.

Dick

heppnerguy

5 hours ago, munzieb said:

That is stunning Dick, lots of detail cuts. Love it!

What a nice pat on the back, coming from you. You are a remarkably talented wood worker and pattern maker and it is your skills and accomplishments that keep me from throwing in the towel. Thank you so much for all the encouragement you have given to me in the past that keeps me trying to do better.  I know I will never reach the skill level of a great many of our members in The Village have, but I still am enjoying trying, partly because of how you have stood beside me and continue to encourage me.

Dick

heppnerguy

On 8/18/2024 at 7:55 AM, rdatelle said:

WoW Dick, you amaze me sometimes. Your getting better and better on that intarsia. I'm afraid to even try doing that.

You can do it easily. It looks rather complex when finnished but intarsia is not that hard. I started my woodworking with a scroll saw, doing intarsia and only using cedar of different colors to make my projects. I actually cut my first intarsia on a band saw. So you see,,,,,you can do it too.. Give it a try. I think you will surprise yourself

Dick

heppnerguy