Hello from Georgia

btseed357

Hello everyone,

I have been scrolling for about a year and wanted to get more involved with the hobby so I thought I would give the SSV a whirl. 

I have a Dewalt 788 and am considering an upgrade to the Pegas.  All I read about the Pegas is so positive that I it comes across as the old “if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is”.  Has anyone on here ever had to go back to Pegas about a problem?  If so, how was the experience with customer support?  

Not trying to be a pessimist, but I would like to know the pros and cons of any product before I make the jump. 

Thanks,

Bob

Colorado welcomes you to the village Bob.  You will get a lot of good advice from the folks here. I have been a member for almost three years and have received a lot of help.  Many of us have a Pegas.  I have had mine for 2 years and up to now have not had a problem.  One of our members sells Pegas scroll saws.  Also, a good number have the Dewalt 788.  Enjoy your stay here.  Like I said, you will receive a lot of help from the members.

Jerry

Jerry,

Thanks for your response. I will probably break down and order the Pegas some time this week.  I do have a question.

On the Dewalt, I use an aftermarket brace to keep the arm up, when I release the brace after threading the hole on my project, the arm will lower on its own, making fretwork simple. As I understand it, the Pegas arm is self holding and you have to pull it down after  threading each hole. Does that make a project with a lot of fretwork more cumbersome? 

Thanks in advance.

Bob

I have owned the 788 and now a Pegas. When I had the 788, I seemed to top feed mostly and now on the Pegas, it is very largely bottom feed. Just seemed to be the way the saw guided me. I had installed Pegas clamps on the 788.

I do like the arm hold on the Pegas. 

I had very little adjustment moving between the saws as far as operation.

11 hours ago, btseed357 said:

Jim,

Thanks for the response.  If you don’t mind me asking, what were the biggest adjustments with the upgrade? Any regrets?

Thanks,

Bob

Just minor differences in blade tensioning, the mechanics of inserting blades etc. In a way, it was like learning the wiper and cruise controls on a different car. 

Unlearning one set of muscle memories and training new ones.

On 8/18/2024 at 8:42 AM, daveww1 said:

welcome to the village, I have a Pegas but haven't been able to use it for over 2 years. I was taking care of my wife who was suffering from Alzheimer's. She just passed away in April and I had surgery for a tumor in my head at the same time. 

Dave, I am so sorry this news.  My prayers are with you as you navigate those terrible waters.

Bruce

On 8/18/2024 at 9:42 AM, daveww1 said:

welcome to the village, I have a Pegas but haven't been able to use it for over 2 years. I was taking care of my wife who was suffering from Alzheimer's. She just passed away in April and I had surgery for a tumor in my head at the same time. 

Dave, I wanted to say I’m sorry to hear of your loss of your wife in April from Alzheimer’s. I know a bit of the battle you had as my mom suffered from that same horrible disease. When she passed, 8 years ago now, is when I found solace in the scrollsaw. I’m sorry you had your issues compounded by having your own health issue with a tumor in your head. I pray that you are recovering well and can find some joy in using your saw.

Bob, glad to hear you were able to get help from Denny in getting your Pegas saw ordered. Let us know how you like it when it arrives.