Bethlehem Star

FrankEV

My SOs daughter requested me to make a Bethlehem Star to hang on the wall above her Nativity Scene she displays for Christmas.   Believe it or not, I could not find any simple patterns of just a star.  I finally found an image of a star made/folded out of card stock that was exactly what I was looking for.  I converted the folding pattern to a nominal 6 1/2” x 12 12” cutting pattern.  This size is proportionally correct for where it will be displayed over the Nativity set.

I’m not sure what to call this…it is not Intarsia nor Segmentation nor Fretwork nor ???…, but I did cut it on the Scroll Saw, so I guess I’m allowed to show it off here.  

The two stars are identical with the small Star about half-size.  I used a Pegas #5 mgt R blade to cut the bottom big star from nominal 3/4” (actual 5/8”) thick Whitewood that had very little grain and the small star from the same board milled to 1/2” thick – on the Table Saw.   I sculptured the small star to taper the sides of the points, much like how the card stock was shown after it was folded.  If I had used a harder wood, the sharp ends of the Stars points may have held their shape better.

After sanding, sculpturing and mounting the small star, I applied an Acrylic Air Brush Sealer White prime coat.  I then used my Air Brush to paint the star an Acrylic Craft Paint called Pure Gold.  After the paint was dry, I applied a coat of craft glue and a thick coat of Fine Gold Glitter.  This was the messy part of the entire project, and you can see in the photo, it is hard to remove from where it is not supposed to be.  After the Glue dried the entire Star was coated with a Krylon product called Clear Glitter Blast, that is supposed to brighten up the Glitter while securing it in place.

Like photos of most Scroll Saw work, all the blemishes are very visible, but when displayed on the wall it doesn’t look bad at all.  My Lady is happy, and I think her daughter will be also.

BethlehemStar.thumb.JPG.f627afc91e942222483db958a797d2a5.JPG

Comments and critiques always welcome.