What Was Your First Scroll Saw

So the other day I decided to get back at scroll sawing to build up some inventory after quite a long break away from sawing other than the occasional custom order I've let much of my inventory get depleted over the last couple years really. I thought I'd dig out the Hegner I picked up a couple years ago and blow the dust off it so I can get it covered in sawdust, LOL... Let me say it didn't take me long to switch back over to the Hawk, While the Hegner is a good smooth running saw I couldn't get past the annoyance of the upper arm not moving up out of my way far enough and the tiny table top had me ruin a blade because my project was falling off the edge and trying to catch it I smashed and bent my brand new blade.. This isn't a Hegner bashing post at all and with saw time I'd get used to this stuff as I've only put 5 hours run time on it in the 1.5 years I've had it. Love how small the triangle stand is and how smooth the saw runs.. (way smoother than the Hawk throughout the speed dial even though the Hawk is quite smooth there is more shaking than the Hegner and Excalibur) 

Anyway, using the Hegner the other day for a short time brought me back to memory lane of my first saw which was a 16" Delta two speed saw which the upper arm didn't go up very high on either and also have special tool for blade changing etc. This made me realize just how far I've came over the years of starting out on several entry level saws trying to find a cheap saw that'd work for me on a tight budget. I went through several Deltas, Ryobi's, Craftsmans.. before I ended up with a Dremel 1800 that was finally a "decent" user friendly saw but made from poor quality because I had to rebuild the rear linkage about every 8 months.. but I used that saw for 3+ years before upgrading to a DeWalt and wow was that an upgrade. Today with being spoiled with spring loaded upper arms and all the blade adjustment things that the Hawk and Excalibur type saws have I don't think I could even go back to a DeWalt even though they are great saws.. 

So what's your first saw? and could you happily go back to use it again?  Some of you might still be at your first saw and some might have went all in and bought a good (user friendly) saw from the start. 

My first saw was a Craftsman.  At that time, it was one of their better models.  If I recall correctly, it was over $200.  This was 30+ years ago, so it was not a purchase made lightly.  I had never used a scroll saw before, but had previous carpentry and woodworking experience, so it was a pretty short learning curve.  Despite not really knowing anything about scroll saws, I soon realized that this saw was a big limiting factor in my enjoyment of the hobby.  It vibrated, not terribly, but enough to be annoying.  That and a pronounced blade wobble made it difficult to make precision cuts.  It also took 2 tools to change blades.  That got old real fast.  

I joined a scroll saw club a few years later and that opened up a whole new world to me.  As soon as that old Craftsman gave up the ghost, I was on the hunt for an upgrade.  The choice was between a Dewalt 788 and a Delta P20 and I chose the Dewalt due to the true variable speed capability, vs the belt/pully system of the Delta.

That saw served me pretty well.  I sold it around 2016 when I bought my current EX-21.  After some issues with my EX last year, I made an emergency purchase of a new Dewalt to have as a back-up saw.  I had forgotten how aggressive the Dewalt was.  I had my EX tuned to take as much of the blade arc out as possible and was pretty used to that.  When I fired up that Dewalt for the first time, it seemed like it wanted to run away from me.  I actually think that will come in handy when I want to cut thicker/harder stock.

Started with a WEN 16", quickly installed the pinless adapter.  But within 3 months I sold it ($10 loss), and bought an Excalibur 21" added the Pegas Chuck.  After a year things went wonky with it and I could not cut a straight line, no way i was tracking my pattern line.  You might remember the thread on troubleshooting it.  I think I finally got it settled down, but during that time I decided to go for the Pegas 30" and have been using it since. 

Like my other two saws, I added a 3/4" Loc-Line top vac. I have a removable magnetic sheet when I am doing small parts.  I turn off the bottom vac through the blast gate and add a screen inset to my top vac.  This way small pieces do not get sucked away with the dust.

First photo: Here's the 30" before getting everything trimmed up and moved into place replacing the Excalibur in the background. Second photo, my current setup.

The excal is now a back up saw. I may set it back up and keep a thick blade on it for thick cuts. And cutting wood to rough size.

saw.jpg

saw2.jpg

Edited by rafairchild2

My first scroll saw was a used Porter-Cable.  The vibration was bad but I learned that I enjoyed scrolling.  With what I know now, I suppose I could tune it to get rid of most of the vibration.  But the killer was the non-liftable arm.  To move the blade to a new hole meant releasing both the top and bottom blade clamps, move the blade, clamp both ends.   I soon tired of that and bought my Pegas.    

My wife gave me a Craftsman, for Christmas soon after we were married.  I had it for years, but seldom used it. You had to have a special tool and get down on your knees to put a blade in the bottom clamp.  When I decided I wanted to do more scrolling I gave the craftsman to my daughter and I purchased  a refurbished DeWalt.   Major step up over the craftsman.  My daughter did not use the saw, so she gave it to a neighbor.  A few weeks laster she saw it in his garbage can where it really belonged.

I joined the Craftmans club over 25 years ago. I had bought it for a special project  and then it sat forlorn until 2012. A neighbor had brought a friend along for a dinner we had one evening. He showed me some of the scroll work he had done and had actually sold it. I thought to myself " I can do that" I pulled out the old craftsman started a simple project. I was finally hooked and frustrated at the same time. Through trial and error, I mastered the cutting techniques but the blade clamping drove me crazy. It had a metric hex screw to tighten the blade and the screw heads and the wrenches would wear out. I bought a whole box of screws because I was constantly replacing them. The steel screws were going into an aluminum housing wasn't a good thing. Eventually the threads wore out and installed a helicoil in the housing. It worked for a while but knew there was a better way--- replace the saw and eliminate the frustration. Did my research and eventually bought a EX-16 from the local Woodcraft store. I had it shipped to them and they covered the freight. Still happy with the unit. I replaced the blade mounts with Pegus blade mounts and had to replace the airpump. Still working good. Sold the Craftsman at a garage sale to a neighbor for $60. I think it was a sympathy buy. Spoke to his son a while back and he said he never used it. Oh Well.

I  have probably told this story many times here in different threads for different reasons but will repeat. I have been scrolling for over 45 years now. My first saw was Dremel 2 speed pin end saw. I think it was a 12" or possible 14" I do not remember. It was a hobby saw as they called them back then. I really could not put my finger on exactly what it was that drove me toward the saw at that time but I was just becoming a woodworker of all types and it was a woodworking tool. I started making small wood toys that were not very much fret work involved. Olsen was the big blade people and also Delta (which I believe Olsen made for them) Needed tools to change blades and it was slow. One day went to a woodworking show which I did every year and there were people demonstrating saws and one was Hegner. Fell in love with the saw and just about that time Berry Basket started coming out with an old couple page black and white catalog for lack of a better word and the rest was history. I always use to go to craft shows because I love seeing hand made items and there was a person who was selling the collapsible baskets and doing well. Again that was all I needed to give me the push over the edge and "JT'S Creative Woodworking was born. So basically I started with the Hegner and became use to it and it was a great saw. But once again I was at a woodworking show and watch a demo of the RBI saws and wound up buying one at the show. Now being a seasoned scroller I understood saws better and seen the value in some of the features and all that. So it was an easy choice and and my hobby really took off and started doing many craft shows and and as i told the story I began selling in 6 stores in large malls and did well. Loved the RBI which was a 220Vs that I went and purchased a RBI 226VS because of the larger projects I was making. Then one day I was in Home Depot and they were selling the Dewalt 788 out on clearance. Could not pass up the deal. I bought the last one they had which was a shelf display with the stand for $99. I did use that for some time on special projects but was not a huge fan of it. To sum it up I sold the Dewalt and Hegner not long ago. The Dremel made the junk yard   some time ago. I still have the stand for it and use it for a sander. 

I do not do much scrolling any more but my 2 best saws that I have are the RBIs and will not get rid of them I still believe they are the best saws on the market. I have scrolled on the Eclipse, the first Excalliper and also a Ryobi saw from time to time. But I am a RBI man and always will be. My journey down the scrollsawing hobby was a fun one and made some cash along the way. Would not change a thing. Now it is turning pens and that hobby. 

My first saw was a Delta pin blade saw.  I think it was also a 16" but not sure.  I had it for probably 25+ years.  It was my only saw in my shop at the time so I used it to saw everything.  I had the widest blade on it and used it like a table saw and chop saw for sawing 2x4s and anything I needed to saw.  I then discovered "real" scroll sawing,joined SSV and bought my EX 21 and now my Hawk G426....I don't cut 2x4s anymore with them!:) 

I started with a coping saw and quickly gave that up. Moved on to a Craftsman motor "hobby" saw 3" pin end blades and a 13" throat. I couldn't afford anything better at the time, '85. A few years later I moved up to a Sears "industrial" SS, but the blade clamps kept breaking, at a six week turn around for repairs I gave up on it at about the third break down, to their credit, Sears took back the saw and refunded all my money. I found a Delta two speed with the quick clamp II, still have the saw but upgraded after retirement to a 22"vs Hefner. The Hefner is an awesome saw, but I miss the quick clamp of the Delta. If I could I'd modify the Hefner with the quick clamp II.

Interesting topic. I've really been hashing this over for the past month. My first "real" scrollsaw was a Delta P-20.  Still have it, still running like new 24 years later. My daughter now has it as she expressed an interest in scrolling and wanted the P-20,  I actually had her cutting on it back when she was 8 or so.

I picked up a Hawk 20" to replace it. After a rew months on the Hawk I can truly saw I miss the Delta.  Don't know if it's because I've used it for 20 + years or it's like an old friend. Blade changes were easy, top feeding a breeze and absolutely zero vibration.  On the Hawk, for me, top feed is all but impossible,  still trying to eliminate the vibration and blade changes are time consuming.  

So, here I am, wishing I still had the P-20.  I've found a few on Facebook Marketplace and seriously considering selling the Hawk to return to what I'm most familiar with. 

Those of you who own and use a HAWK,  does it get better (cutting on it) over time. Do balde/tension changes get easier? And what about top feed, is that even a reality?

Chris

I didn't mess around with scroll saws that the big box stores were selling.  I went directly to a RBI 216VS.  My Father-in-law and brothers-in-law were avid woodworkers.  Father-in-law and one brother-in-law used band saws, the other brother-in-law had a Hegner and did many collaspable baskets to begin with.  All looked interesting to me but after studing about scroll saw and attending home shows where there was always a RBI dispaying there wares.  I knew I coutdn't afford one.  My wife and I would go be various carft fairs when they were a thing and there were several scroll saw artisits there.  Not many craft fairs any more.  I inherited a little bit of money and my wife allowed me to purchase the RBI.  Since I didn't know better, attaching the blade was not an issue because I thouhgt this was the way of all scroll saws.  When using the saw I figured I couln't use it like a table saw.  Besides, I couldn't cut a straight line to save my sole.  Occassionally would fire it up.  My first project was cutting my name and my wifes name.  Turned out OK.  Then I cut some names for my fellow employees.  Was a waste of money, didn't use it much more.  I retired 10 years ago and decided to get serious and practice.  Finally got used to it and got pretty good and did a lot of cutting on it for 8 years.  Then decided to take advantage of new technology and purchased a Pegas.  I really liked both.  Decided to give my RBI to my brother.  He had a Roybi that he was using.  He took my RBI and hasn't even plugged it in and has pretty much lost his enthusiasm to scroll saw.  Long story short, I should have kept my RBI for a backup.

Jerry

40 minutes ago, OCtoolguy said:

Keven, check with CharleyE about how to fix that arm problem. It entails cutting off the stop. I forget just how he did it. 

Yeah I've seen the topic on here some years ago about doing that.. Probably could search and not find the topic though, LOL.. I struggle with the search function on here.. LOL but sometimes I get lucky if I know who posted the topic or some pretty specific info then it works better, 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Hawk said:

Interesting topic. I've really been hashing this over for the past month. My first "real" scrollsaw was a Delta P-20.  Still have it, still running like new 24 years later. My daughter now has it as she expressed an interest in scrolling and wanted the P-20,  I actually had her cutting on it back when she was 8 or so.

I picked up a Hawk 20" to replace it. After a rew months on the Hawk I can truly saw I miss the Delta.  Don't know if it's because I've used it for 20 + years or it's like an old friend. Blade changes were easy, top feeding a breeze and absolutely zero vibration.  On the Hawk, for me, top feed is all but impossible,  still trying to eliminate the vibration and blade changes are time consuming.  

So, here I am, wishing I still had the P-20.  I've found a few on Facebook Marketplace and seriously considering selling the Hawk to return to what I'm most familiar with. 

Those of you who own and use a HAWK,  does it get better (cutting on it) over time. Do balde/tension changes get easier? And what about top feed, is that even a reality?

Chris

Depends upon what saw you have.. the older Hawk saws was not capable to do top feeding... but the G4 (2005) and newer saws you can top feed with them.. I don't know if you can still get them but there was a guy making retrofit blade chuck adapters so you can put the Delta Quickset blade chucks on a Hawk and many other scroll saws. @Rolf I believe has them on his Hawk.. The issue is finding a good set of Delta clamps since they discontinued them many years ago.. about the best way now is to find a old saw at garage sales etc to rob the clamps from. 

Edited by kmmcrafts

I bought a Delta from Lowe's, but it was missing the hardware kit to mount the table. Returned it same day and they had no more.

Ended up buying a single speed Delta from a pawn shop. It was like new and I used it for quite a while--until the blower ruptured. Cut a few Pinewood Derby cars on the thing and my first family Christmas ornaments.

My first scroll saw was a used Dewalt 788 type 1. I brought it home and messed around with it and it did a pretty good job. After watching the videos on servicing all the bearings, I did the job and it became a great saw. I put a set of the Pegas clamps on it and it was even better. I ended up finding a used Excalibur 21 so I sold the Dewalt. 

My first scroll saw was an AMT. This same saw was sold with several brands on it. I purchased it in the mid-1980s. It came as a pin blade saw. It only took me a week or so to figure out that pin blades didn't hack out for me, and I bought an upgrade that allowed me to use pinless blades. The saw cut very well. In some woods, the cut was smooth glass. Thin lumber was not available in my location, but I had access to all the pallets I could haul, and that is what I cut most of my project from pallet wood. I made many toys, fretwork shelves, and compound-cut chess pieces. I never got a full set because my kids thought they were excellent and kept running off with them.

20091108-192703-ToolsAMTScrollSawBlogger.thumb.jpg.4e13c959dcdf1e5515a71523545a47e7.jpg

I bought a used RBI Hawk for $100, refurbished it, and used it for a few years. Then I saw a video about how easy blade changes were on an EX-21, and I had to have one. I found a used EX-21 for sale locally. It wasn't long before the EX-21 was the only saw I used. Now, I had three scroll saws. While I had them all setup side by side, I did a test. The AMT cut smoother than and had less vibration than the other two. Heavy cast iron can dampen vibration a lot. I had to get rid of one and gave the AMT away. For me, ease of blade changes was more important than anything.

After a few years, my EX-21 finally had a problem, and I used the RBI while troubleshooting and ordering parts. I decided I really did not like the RBI saw. The blade changes again, and it was hard on the smaller blades. So now I am shopping for another scroll saw. I found a never used Pegas and drove about 700 miles to get it. I sold the RBI for $100.

12 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Depends upon what saw you have.. the older Hawk saws was not capable to do top feeding... but the G4 (2005) and newer saws you can top feed with them.. I don't know if you can still get them but there was a guy making retrofit blade chuck adapters so you can put the Delta Quickset blade chucks on a Hawk and many other scroll saws. @Rolf I believe has them on his Hawk.. The issue is finding a good set of Delta clamps since they discontinued them many years ago.. about the best way now is to find a old saw at garage sales etc to rob the clamps from. 

The Delta clamp change from Pozgai was great on my Hawk G426.  He stopped making them when the supply dried up. 

I just tried to access his web site and I get a "site not found message"  I wonder if he stopped making clamp replacements.

Just came in from cutting some ornaments on the Hegner... I do really like the saw but this is one of the hang up for me. though I am starting to get used to it. Also the accessory arm where the dumb hold down foot thingy that we alway take off saws.. that is actually lower than the arm and I'm going to try to pay more attention next project to see if I'm hitting that instead of the actual arm, as I think that's what I'm hitting when trying to feed the blade or remove it.. I know I hit that once while removing the blade to move to the next spot which is what brought my attention to that. 

That arm doesn't really need to be there I don't think except I do have the light mount and use it for my mag light.