Ran out of wood caused more work!

Been cranking out a bunch of projects lately with 1/4" BB plywood, wasn't paying attention and ran out.   So while waiting for Ocooch's order I decided to clean the shop.  Not the smartest day to do it since it's been 99 degrees with a triple digit heat index.

Every tool rolled out of the shop into the driveway, blow and vacuum every speck or sawdust off/out of them, clean all the blades and lube moving parts, vacuum the floor corner to corner, drain compressor, organized the contents of drawers and cabinets and swiffer dusted all surfaces.  Spotless!

How often do you do a big clean??

2 hours ago, jimmyG said:

Been cranking out a bunch of projects lately with 1/4" BB plywood, wasn't paying attention and ran out.   So while waiting for Ocooch's order I decided to clean the shop.  Not the smartest day to do it since it's been 99 degrees with a triple digit heat index.

Every tool rolled out of the shop into the driveway, blow and vacuum every speck or sawdust off/out of them, clean all the blades and lube moving parts, vacuum the floor corner to corner, drain compressor, organized the contents of drawers and cabinets and swiffer dusted all surfaces.  Spotless!

Never.

I do a deep clean 2 times a year... typically spring and fall and I mean running the shop vac with a brush attachment and clean the dust off the walls, ceiling, lights, spray dry lube on the garage doors, wax all the equipment and their stands. I find by waxing the stands and everything metal that the sawdust doesn't stick to them so bad and typically falls to the floor where it can be vacuumed easier. Mop the shop floor only once a year or so as I do pull cars in on the one bay now and then to do a repair.. 

This is kind of the downside to having a larger shop and too many tools, LOL.. I currently have 5 scroll saws but mainly only use 2 of them.. been thinking it's probably about time to sell off a couple and a few other things.. I used to be good at wheeling and dealing but I've grown to hate selling things online anymore so the stuff just keep piling up, LOL. Now days there are just way too many idiots on marketplace.. It started getting bad on Craigslist but that place is dead anymore since FB Marketplace came onboard.. People say they're on there way and then don't show.. people offering 25% of asking price without even coming to look at what you have.. I've thought about putting stuff on eBay and see what happens.. but marketplace just has way to many people that do not give any respect / courtesy whatsoever to a seller.. 

8 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

I do a deep clean 2 times a year... typically spring and fall and I mean running the shop vac with a brush attachment and clean the dust off the walls, ceiling, lights, spray dry lube on the garage doors, wax all the equipment and their stands. I find by waxing the stands and everything metal that the sawdust doesn't stick to them so bad and typically falls to the floor where it can be vacuumed easier. Mop the shop floor only once a year or so as I do pull cars in on the one bay now and then to do a repair.. 

This is kind of the downside to having a larger shop and too many tools, LOL.. I currently have 5 scroll saws but mainly only use 2 of them.. been thinking it's probably about time to sell off a couple and a few other things.. I used to be good at wheeling and dealing but I've grown to hate selling things online anymore so the stuff just keep piling up, LOL. Now days there are just way too many idiots on marketplace.. It started getting bad on Craigslist but that place is dead anymore since FB Marketplace came onboard.. People say they're on there way and then don't show.. people offering 25% of asking price without even coming to look at what you have.. I've thought about putting stuff on eBay and see what happens.. but marketplace just has way to many people that do not give any respect / courtesy whatsoever to a seller.. 

My small one car garage shop used to be my man cave and even though it stores some household it was a place to hang out in and was super clean.  A year ago I decided to try woodworking so I took everything out and gave it a nice paint job.  It still stores a few non-woodworking items.  There's a lot of stuff packed into the area but everything is super organized in a logical order and no wasted space but still able to walk around the work bench.  Having tools on wheels was the best thing I ever did.  After having such a clean man cave before,  I can't bring myself to letting my work area get dirty and dusty since I don't really make a lot of big projects to begin with.  You're correct about online sales being the pits.  Craigslist doesn't seem to be monitored any longer and it's mostly business ads, at least in the DC area.  The problem with Marketplace is people know who you are and have no problem learning your personal information.  Used Ebay back in the day but they now cater to the buyer not the seller so it's easy to get ripped off trying to sell something.  Sad!

20240610_161149.jpg

59 minutes ago, jimmyG said:

My small one car garage shop used to be my man cave and even though it stores some household it was a place to hang out in and was super clean.  A year ago I decided to try woodworking so I took everything out and gave it a nice paint job.  It still stores a few non-woodworking items.  There's a lot of stuff packed into the area but everything is super organized in a logical order and no wasted space but still able to walk around the work bench.  Having tools on wheels was the best thing I ever did.  After having such a clean man cave before,  I can't bring myself to letting my work area get dirty and dusty since I don't really make a lot of big projects to begin with.  You're correct about online sales being the pits.  Craigslist doesn't seem to be monitored any longer and it's mostly business ads, at least in the DC area.  The problem with Marketplace is people know who you are and have no problem learning your personal information.  Used Ebay back in the day but they now cater to the buyer not the seller so it's easy to get ripped off trying to sell something.  Sad!

20240610_161149.jpg

You have that set up very nice! I like it.. I try to keep everything in one bay but it's started to spill over into my other bay which I like to keep opened up incase I need to quickly pull a car in or tractor etc. for a repair.. which is why I need to set a few tools onto someone else. It looks like your floor is painted? If it is how do you like that? I painted my shop floor right after they poured the concrete but I just used more of a sealer paint that was clear.. and I tell you it's slick if you go in with wet shoes.. It needs to be recoated (probably next year now) and I was thinking about going with the grey color to help "brighten up the shop.. that clear stuff I used sort of darkened the concrete and I think the lighter grey would help find my lower blade clamp on the Hegner saw when it goes flying during the blade breaking, 😂

I was a eBayer for a lot of years selling car and tractor parts.. then they started catering to the "power sellers" where you sell cheap but in high volume.. then started encouraging sellers to do free shipping and raised the fees etc. so I got out of it because of the competition.. and moved into selling my crafts on various sites.. now those sites have been doing the same stuff and I'm kinda conforming to this as everywhere is basically the same way or else if not the sales are dead.. Catering to the shopper is what brings in the shoppers to these sites.. I don't like how it works but that is what these big venues research and find so in order to get any sales you have to do what they do no matter where you sell at.. They found that shoppers are too lazy and many times dumb to calculate shipping cost so to fix the problem they found people are more likely to buy if you offer free shipping and run sales / discounts every week or so..   

14 hours ago, jimmyG said:

.....  Spotless!

Pretty much after EVERY session, I wipe down, do a quick PM if needed, oil if needed (usually my oily rag), and put tools back in their proper place. I use a comprehensive dust handling system so generally, I do not get a buildup of dust.  There are times I am doing a lot of toys or some intricate pieces, and I let things fall to the wayside for a couple of sessions.

Come Saturday or Sunday, I'll make sure everything is put away and I will take my gas blower and just give the place a thorough puff of air.  I might use my compressor and get some of the smaller areas, it all goes out the large garage door.

I think it was on one of the FB groups, lord I hope it was not here, I mentioned that I clean after each session, and some a-hole came back with some rude comments and said he would rather cut more than waste time cleaning. 

I was always taught to keep tools cleaned, oiled, and stored in their proper place.  My tools last a long time.

To me, it's all about respecting the tools and your workspace.

This was hammered into me by my father and shop teachers in school.

1 hour ago, kmmcrafts said:

You have that set up very nice! I like it.. I try to keep everything in one bay but it's started to spill over into my other bay which I like to keep opened up incase I need to quickly pull a car in or tractor etc. for a repair.. which is why I need to set a few tools onto someone else. It looks like your floor is painted? If it is how do you like that? I painted my shop floor right after they poured the concrete but I just used more of a sealer paint that was clear.. and I tell you it's slick if you go in with wet shoes.. It needs to be recoated (probably next year now) and I was thinking about going with the grey color to help "brighten up the shop.. that clear stuff I used sort of darkened the concrete and I think the lighter grey would help find my lower blade clamp on the Hegner saw when it goes flying during the blade breaking, 😂

I was a eBayer for a lot of years selling car and tractor parts.. then they started catering to the "power sellers" where you sell cheap but in high volume.. then started encouraging sellers to do free shipping and raised the fees etc. so I got out of it because of the competition.. and moved into selling my crafts on various sites.. now those sites have been doing the same stuff and I'm kinda conforming to this as everywhere is basically the same way or else if not the sales are dead.. Catering to the shopper is what brings in the shoppers to these sites.. I don't like how it works but that is what these big venues research and find so in order to get any sales you have to do what they do no matter where you sell at.. They found that shoppers are too lazy and many times dumb to calculate shipping cost so to fix the problem they found people are more likely to buy if you offer free shipping and run sales / discounts every week or so..   

I moved into this home 24 years ago this month and first thing I did since the garage was a clean slate was tape,spackle and paint the drywall. The floor was an epoxy coating that was pricey but has held up fairly well for the abuse it's taken over the years.

11 minutes ago, rafairchild2 said:

Pretty much after EVERY session, I wipe down, do a quick PM if needed, oil if needed (usually my oily rag), and put tools back in their proper place. I use a comprehensive dust handling system so generally, I do not get a buildup of dust.  There are times I am doing a lot of toys or some intricate pieces, and I let things fall to the wayside for a couple of sessions.

Come Saturday or Sunday, I'll make sure everything is put away and I will take my gas blower and just give the place a thorough puff of air.  I might use my compressor and get some of the smaller areas, it all goes out the large garage door.

I think it was on one of the FB groups, lord I hope it was not here, I mentioned that I clean after each session, and some a-hole came back with some rude comments and said he would rather cut more than waste time cleaning. 

I was always taught to keep tools cleaned, oiled, and stored in their proper place.  My tools last a long time.

To me, it's all about respecting the tools and your workspace.

This was hammered into me by my father and shop teachers in school.

I don't clean for looks...  A clean shop is a safe and efficient shop.  Clean blades, gears and tracks and not tripping on cords and debris makes my hobby more enjoyable.

Yes a clean shop is a much safer shop.. piles of sawdust can be a fire hazard.. especially in my shop as I do autobody repair stuff from time to time and welding / grinding etc creates a lot of sparks that can easily ignite that sawdust that many folks just leave there or just blow it out so it settles back down in harder to get to areas.. This is why I use a vacuum to clean rather than blowing it out during my deep clean.  

Okay,  @jimmyG, Kevin or @rafairchild2, you are welcome to Winnipeg and help clear & reorganize my shop!!!😂

I have gotten a little lax about cleaning.  I used to sweep up after every session. Vacuum around the saw.  Now that my dust collection system is working sooo much better, I don't do that as much.

56 minutes ago, barb.j.enders said:

Okay,  @jimmyG, Kevin or @rafairchild2, you are welcome to Winnipeg and help clear & reorganize my shop!!!😂

I have gotten a little lax about cleaning.  I used to sweep up after every session. Vacuum around the saw.  Now that my dust collection system is working sooo much better, I don't do that as much.

A little far for me to visit...  After a 35 year career in auto parts retail management I started cleaning mostly high end homes or for really picky people which got me into the super cleaning mode mentality.  It was truly a white glove service which has stuck with me whenever I'm cleaning and organizing.  I could pretty much walk through my workshop blindfolded and put my hands on what I want. Kinda sick!

35 minutes ago, jimmyG said:

A little far for me to visit...  After a 35 year career in auto parts retail management I started cleaning mostly high end homes or for really picky people which got me into the super cleaning mode mentality.  It was truly a white glove service which has stuck with me whenever I'm cleaning and organizing.  I could pretty much walk through my workshop blindfolded and put my hands on what I want. Kinda sick!

Organization is my flaw.. but I am kinda a clean freak.. my wife will sometimes organize things for me.. My wife can pack things up in half the space I do so that is what I'm talking about organizing.. I guess what I'm saying is I get clutter but it's not dirty clutter.. If I could have someone lay out my shop and tools to where it'd work without having to move stuff just to use it that'd be awesome.. my wife doesn't understand that I need space around the table saw and planer for the infeed and outfeed of lumber.. I don't like digging things out just to rip a board or to chop a length to size.. I have all the rolling stands for the planer and really all the stuff is on mobile bases other than the scroll saws themselves as for me having wheels on those stands makes them pick up vibration.. 

33 minutes ago, Bill WIlson said:

What is this "big clean" of which you speak?

I'm hoping to retire next year.  One of the projects on my retirement to-do list is a major clean and re-org of my shop.  It will be the first one in about 25 years.  

Big clean is what I posted about...
Corner to corner clean with zero dirt or sawdust including all tools.  Not operating room clean, but damn near!

4 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Organization is my flaw.. but I am kinda a clean freak.. my wife will sometimes organize things for me.. My wife can pack things up in half the space I do so that is what I'm talking about organizing.. I guess what I'm saying is I get clutter but it's not dirty clutter.. If I could have someone lay out my shop and tools to where it'd work without having to move stuff just to use it that'd be awesome.. my wife doesn't understand that I need space around the table saw and planer for the infeed and outfeed of lumber.. I don't like digging things out just to rip a board or to chop a length to size.. I have all the rolling stands for the planer and really all the stuff is on mobile bases other than the scroll saws themselves as for me having wheels on those stands makes them pick up vibration.. 

I can pack lots of things in spaces others don't even think about.  BUT, not in the workshop.  I also hate having to move some things to get to others for simple tasks.