New Harbor freight saw.

Rolf

Just got home from my local HF store... No saw was on display yet, however they did have a empty spot on a shelf with the tag for it. I think they were working on getting a display set up but I just showed up to early, LOL. If they weren't busy I might have asked to see one but they was quite busy and I didn't want to bother since I have zero intentions to actually buy one..  

This looks like the same saw with cosmetic differences.

https://www.amazon.com/Bucktool-Inch-Scrow-Saw-Woodworking/dp/B0CPDT9BMW

The Rikon version doesn't look much different.

Here is another one. This time, pricing is by container. Does anyone need a couple of hundred scroll saws?

https://www.allwin-tools.com/new-arrival-csa-certified-22-inch-variable-speed-scroll-saw-with-1-6a-motor-product/

Yet another one.

Either they come from the same factory, or the Chinese are copying each other.

Seems like some of these versions have better / more images to showcase what they're selling.. Have yet to see one with the saw set for angle cutting.. wonder if they'd give me a saw if I suggested to get some better more detailed photos.. I don't think there is any pictures of the lower blade clamp either.. maybe I've missed some of these images but seems like to me they need to showcase it better so any online shoppers would know better what they're getting. 

19 minutes ago, BadBob said:

Here is one that shows it tilted.
https://baileigh.com/bss-22-22-scroll-saw

I suspect the people posting the listings know little about scroll saws.

This one is knock off of the Jet saw.. It has the clamp and tension in one step upper clamp like the jet.. I bet it also has the round barrel style lower blade chuck like the Jet too. I've never seen this one before.. I was mostly talking about the HF saw or other brands of the same saw.. as the one you link to is different than those. 

2 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Hmm, maybe they changed up the photos since the other day or they didn't all load on my computer.. now I'm seeing two photos with one being angled to the right and one to the left.. other day there was no photos of the saw tilted for angle cutting.. 

Under the photos there is 5 more photos but you need to click on link. 

Looking over the manual for the saw, it says to raise the upper arm, you need to reach to the back of the saw to pull a pin to release the arm.  Once raised the pin needs to be pulled again to lower the arm.  That is a pretty good distance on a 22" saw, and on a typical portrait style project would get pretty tedious.  That alone would put me off this particular saw.  Maybe someone who has actually used the saw could comment on this.  Or maybe the pin could be removed and the arm raised and lowered like the DW788.

Tom

45 minutes ago, jollyred said:

Looking over the manual for the saw, it says to raise the upper arm, you need to reach to the back of the saw to pull a pin to release the arm.  Once raised the pin needs to be pulled again to lower the arm.  That is a pretty good distance on a 22" saw, and on a typical portrait style project would get pretty tedious.  That alone would put me off this particular saw.  Maybe someone who has actually used the saw could comment on this.  Or maybe the pin could be removed and the arm raised and lowered like the DW788.

Tom

Tom, I have used the Rikon version of this saw which is identical in almost every way, including the locking pin. I agree that it is a bit of a reach to unlock the pin every time the arm needs to be lowered. I have the "Lifter" attachment on my Dewalt which I overall think is better. I was seriously considering buying the Rikon when it came to my store, but after thinking about it more and more I think I will just stick with my 788.

That is the one thing that always turned me off on the Delta clone of the DeWalt.. as it has a pin at the back to release the upper arm so you can lower it back down.. After having a higher end saw that has a spring loaded upper arm I've been spoiled.. I don't even like having to raise and lower it on my Excalibur since I went to the Hawk and Hegner it's sure nice not to have to "lift the arm" out of the way as it does it by itself.. I also don't think I could go back to a saw that you can't really adjust how aggressive it cuts.. 

Dang it.. I was just back to HF yesterday and didn't even think to go see if they had one on the display shelf yet.. 

Now I would think if you put your creative hats on you can overcome that pin. Lock it out by making a spacer to keep extended. It probably does not serve a purpose other than locking the arm. If locked out then use a block of wood to keep arm raised as you do on a Dewalt.  The tension of the blade will keep the arm from raising. Why would it be any different than the other clones of this type saw? Would like to hear from someone who gets to try the saw in a store or actually buys one. Run the saw as normal and pull the pin and see what happens. I am sure they will let you try in HF. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

The person operating the saw in the video BadBob posted is clueless!

That said, the pull pin in the back could possibly be replaced by one of these ball springs that are on the EX. Just as long as they are not over tightened.  The wear in the other picture was on a friends saw.  I TIG welded the groove and put in a new screw. Of course I filed the weld smooth.  Worked great. He now has a Pegas.

ball spring screws.jpg

Arm wear from ball.jpg

Tig welded upper arm.jpg

Edited by Rolf

2 hours ago, Rolf said:

The person operating the saw in the video BadBob posted is clueless!

That said, the pull pin in the back could possibly be replaced by one of these ball springs that are on the EX. Just as long as they are not over tightened.  The wear in the other picture was on a friends saw.  I TIG welded the groove and put in a new screw. Worked great. He now has a Pegas.

ball spring screws.jpg

Arm wear from ball.jpg

What is the basic purpose of that pin now that you have some knowledge of this? Does this pin allow the arm to stay raised after cutting? It is not going to kep the arm down when cutting. No need for that. 

3 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

What is the basic purpose of that pin now that you have some knowledge of this? Does this pin allow the arm to stay raised after cutting? It is not going to kep the arm down when cutting. No need for that. 

I was looking through the manual; on page 9 they address what the pin is for: when changing holes, you gently lift the arm until it clicks, when you want to lower the arm you pull the pin and carefully lower the arm until it clicks in the down position. I have to assume that failure to lock the arm in the down position will affect the blade tension.

1 hour ago, Wichman said:

I was looking through the manual; on page 9 they address what the pin is for: when changing holes, you gently lift the arm until it clicks, when you want to lower the arm you pull the pin and carefully lower the arm until it clicks in the down position. I have to assume that failure to lock the arm in the down position will affect the blade tension.

How would that happen These are the same type saw as the Dewalt 788. The action is up front. if the motion of blade going up and down cause movement in the arm then that is a poor design and I highly suggest stay away far away from a saw like that. better options out there. Just my opinion. 

17 hours ago, Wichman said:

All the pin on the HF saw does is hold the arm up. Like the add on mechanism that people bought for the Dewalts. To lower the arm you have to reach all the way back and pull the spring loaded pin. A dumb design in my opinion. A lot of extra effort when top feeding. The blade tension keeps the arm down.

The EX and other saws that have the ball spring, It is just friction that holds the arm up.  No locking or releasing anything.  The reason this damaged my friends saw is the one on the left (original) got tired so the prior owner over tightened it until it damaged the arm. The one on the right is the new replacement. As you can see the ball extends further.  It doesn't take much to keep the arm up. 

ball spring screws.jpg