Help with RBI Hawk 220

I'm in the process of buying a scroll saw for my dad who was just diagnosed with Alzheimer's. My hope is, while he's able, I can transition him from his big table saw, band saw, etc. to doing much safer work on a scroll saw. I found a Hawk 220, serial #4962, with a couple of missing parts for $125. The parts are available so that's not a big deal. However, it has a Fasco motor, which I understand is not ideal (or, at least SOME Fasco motors aren't ideal). Can anyone tell what I have and if this is a good deal or if I should wait?  Given the circumstances, I want a machine that is as frustration free as possible. 

Edited by entrican20

I believe when Kevin sees this he will be able to help you understand the problems and suggestions before you make those decisions. I am not familar with those motors because when I bought my 2 RBI saw these were worked out and no need to buy any others no matter how cheap. Good luck. I do think it is the right thing to steer him away from tools that can put a hurt on you in a hurry. I know this has to be a tough thing. But maybe working together in the shop can do wonders. Good luck.

Keeping your dad involved with wood working but on a safer scale  is a great idea. It keeps hands and mind active. As for the saw, and I am far from an expert and no RBI experience, if it runs without problems, I say it would be a good investment. You can always swap out the motor but in the meantime, your dad will have fun. I wish you both well. 

Welcome to the Village

This is a single speed saw and it's been my understanding that the motor issues were on the VS ( variable speed ) models.. Probably be best to give Bushton Manufacturing a call and they could confirm if this motor is one with the issues or not.

I'm kind of wondering if maybe a variable speed saw might be a better option with your dads health issues it might be easier for him to be able to slow the saw way down if needed. Also a lot of people have trouble with these older style blade clamps on these older saws ( the round barrel style lower clamp can be a frustration to some people.. I've never had any issue with them but I've seen many topics on these message boards over the years where many have trouble with these blade clamps )