You Ask Why

You ask: why does one need more than one scrollsaw?  Right now I am wishing I had two again.  And I promise, momma, if I can have a second one I will never sell it!  I always have more than one project going.  Right now I have two.  One requires inlay.  But I can not work on it because once I set a saw for the depth of inlay I want it can not be moved to a different degree of tilt.  You would never get perfectly back to the degree of the original set. So before I can continue in the project requiring an inlay, I have to wait until the paint and glue tries on another project.  If I had two saws I could keep on working.  When I find the right deal, I will have a second saw again.  Plus it is nice to have two or more saw so you do not have to change the size or type of blade so often.  You can just move back and forth between saws.  

12 hours ago, Scrappile said:

You ask: why does one need more than one scrollsaw?

I never thought of that. I have two because I make made-to-order items to sell, and I can't afford to have the scroll saw down. There are ways to work around not having most of my other tools, but there is no substitute for a scroll saw.

1 hour ago, BadBob said:

I never thought of that. I have two because I make made-to-order items to sell, and I can't afford to have the scroll saw down. There are ways to work around not having most of my other tools, but there is no substitute for a scroll saw.

That was the original reason I first bought my first second saw second saw.. then the reason I ended up with several more was because of them being free and or so cheap they might as well have been free.. Only reason I bought my new Hawk was 1) I've always wanted to try the new one with the adjustable blade aggression and having the lower arm come out to the front of the saw rather than behind the angle adjustment mechanism  2) That year we was trying to stay under a lower tax bracket so at the end of the year I had to spend some cash for write offs that was also why I bought the CNC and laser.. always had a interest in them but they was always way out of my spending limits.. other than that one year. Anyway now for some reason i have 4 back-up saws, LOL.. and I'm really torn on which ones to send to a new owner so I've kept them all for a couple years.. 

My only regret in all of that was I wish I had bought a smaller cheaper CNC and a larger more expensive laser.. Turns out after getting to learn enough to use them I end up wishing the CNC didn't take so much room and I wish I could do larger projects on the laser, LOL I've never once used the full capacity of the CNC size and likely never will, LOL. Yet almost every time I use the laser I wish I could run a larger batch of ornaments and be able to do larger projects on it. 

3 minutes ago, ChelCass said:

I find the same to be true with drill presses.  I have two table top ones and each has a different size bit.  One has a micro Minnie bit for tiny  entry holes.  Saves me a lot of time and frustration.

That was one of the other things I did.. back then I was making a lot of desk clocks to sell and every time I'd have to set up my forestner bit in then switch it back out etc.. so I bought a new drill press to just leave the one set up with the forestner bit. 

I have two 6x48-inch belt sanders. Currently, I only use one, but if I ever clear enough space, I will set up the other one with different grits to rapidly change grits.

I have two bandsaws, one configured for scroll cutting and the other only used for resaw.

I have two drill presses, one configured for drilling smaller holes and one for large fastener bits and sanding mops. Belt drive drilpresses are a pain to change speeds on. If I had the money to spare, I would buy one of the new variable feed drill presses and get rid of these two. I really have three since I have a Shopsmith that I can use if needed. I use it for horizontal boring and use the lathe function for drilling center holes in dowels. I also have a Dremel drill press that is not used except when I need to drill tiny holes, which does not happen much.

On 8/31/2024 at 4:48 PM, Scrappile said:

You ask: why does one need more than one scrollsaw?  Right now I am wishing I had two again.  And I promise, momma, if I can have a second one I will never sell it!  I always have more than one project going.  Right now I have two.  One requires inlay.  But I can not work on it because once I set a saw for the depth of inlay I want it can not be moved to a different degree of tilt.  You would never get perfectly back to the degree of the original set. So before I can continue in the project requiring an inlay, I have to wait until the paint and glue tries on another project.  If I had two saws I could keep on working.  When I find the right deal, I will have a second saw again.  Plus it is nice to have two or more saw so you do not have to change the size or type of blade so often.  You can just move back and forth between saws.  

Just don't tell your wife that you will never ask for another thing.  They have memories like an elephant.  Take my word for it.

Jerry

Up until last year, I always got by with one.  I had a failure last year, right at the height of my Christmas project period.  Over the years, this is the 2nd time that has happened.  I ended up buying a Dewalt to back up my EX-21 last year. 

I had considered keeping my old Dewalt when I bought the EX-21 in 2016.  I figured I don't make stuff to sell, and the EX was an upgrade, so should have been more reliable than my old Dewalt.  So I ended up selling it, as I really didn't have room in my shop for 2 saws.  Should have kept it.  :oops:

All I can say is that it's a good thing scroll saws aren't like routers.  I have 8 of those.  :lol:

On 9/3/2024 at 7:15 PM, BadBob said:

I have had two failures, both of which occurred during the Christmas rush.

My 21" Excal failed on me too, for some reason I could not cut and stay on the line anymore.  There's a whole thread here of my troubleshooting.I bought a 30" Pegas.  I still have the Excal, and I finally got it working, but it sits on a cart in the corner.  Perhaps when I get another table, I'll set it up again and use it for some rough cutting.

3 hours ago, rafairchild2 said:

My 21" Excal failed on me too, for some reason I could not cut and stay on the line anymore.  There's a whole thread here of my troubleshooting.I bought a 30" Pegas.  I still have the Excal, and I finally got it working, but it sits on a cart in the corner.  Perhaps when I get another table, I'll set it up again and use it for some rough cutting.

The first time for me was rattling and vibration. I replaced the entire drive link with one from Seyco. Two years later the motor began stopping at random times and I replaced it with a motor from Seyco. I also replaced the electronics because I discovered that the output that controls the motor speed was constantly varying which was causing the motor to speed up and slow down. So, now the only replaceable parts that haven't been replaced is the speed control pot and the power switch. I have a Pegas saw but the EX-21 is still my go to saw because it is set up perfectly for me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2024 at 11:05 PM, rafairchild2 said:

What was the cause?