Race Car for my donation to a cancer charity

rafairchild2

1 hour ago, rafairchild2 said:

....I will be doing this after my lunch and nap...

A man with a project.  Wonderful!

WOW, you are able to go back to the shop "After lunch and nap"?????   If I don't get into the shop by 6AM and work about 3 hours I would never get anything done.   After my early morning shop time might do a few chores done around the yard and then stop for lunch and my afternoon nap which can last to nearly supper time.   Sooooo, no shop time for me after my "lunch and nap"!!!!

38 minutes ago, FrankEV said:

If I don't get into the shop by 6AM and work about 3 hours I would never get anything done.  

Actually, on Saturdays and Sundays, I am in the shop by 6 or 6:30.  I am taking 5 days leave right now so I have been going in the shop early.  On yard work day, I'll come in, shower, eat and nap.  usually after my 30-minute nap, I might put an hour or more back in the shop.  I wound up not taking my nap, so I just did 2 more hours, but I need to get my 30 minutes...

I didn't get any photos with the rotary tool.  Just trying to get a little more shape on the head and shoulders.  But here is more of the process after the rotary tool.

(image 1) I use a soft barrel sander to shape the 'fenders', (2) rounding out the top (front and back) and profiling the underside a little. I can do the car in about a minute or so this way.  The shaping really makes this stand out vs the sharp 90 degrees.

The other thing I did was cut down on how high the windshield and neck brace from the pattern.  I found that not rounding it will leave it prone to breakage. 

(3) Back on the mop sander at 220 grit, to get out any marks.

(4) Finally, I add some gorilla glue to the axle holes and then tap pegs into them, the fit is somewhat tight, so some light tapping works.  I can also use the clamp on my workbench to push them in.  I am figuring out a jig, so I can get consistent results and do it quickly.

I use the mop sander again on the wheels to spin them, and also smooth them out again.  At 900 PRM, it's also sort of a test to make sure the wheels spin freely, and also stay on.

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Edited by rafairchild2

Thanks all, I had an idea this am as I was working on finishing up my last 6 cars, and thought what would happen if I did a "little people" driver? Looked for some inspiration, and then went into Photoshop.  I liked this 1950's Alfa (or Ferrari), very quick to cut out. It is somewhat similar to Steve's.

So this is one of two prototypes, but one broke in 1/2 due to the way I did the grain out of scrap maple. (I am gluing it back together and it goes on my 'learning' shelf.  I went a little too deep with the driver hole on one of these pieces. 

I think next time I'll go 1" thick, scale up a little more, and then make more of a boat tail taper on the back. I am also going to cut down the little people so he sits lower and also glue him into place.  My concern is a choking hazzard for young kids, and also that is an easy piece to lose. Like this inspiration in the 2nd photo.

50s Ferrari.jpg

50s Ferrari2.jpg

Edited by rafairchild2

Very nice. Keep up the excellent work.

I make many toys, and one of my best tools is a set of drill bits in number and letter sizes. Dowels and axle pegs are not always the correct size. When gluing a dowel into a wheel or a peg into a body, there must be enough room for the dowel and glue. These bits allow me to quickly increase the size of a hole by a few thousandths. If the hole is tight when you dry fit, it will be much tighter once it is wet with glue. I have split toy bodies when forcing a peg into a hole, and I once had glue squirt out of the side of a toy. Nowadays, I make the hole larger if I can't fit the dowel or peg into the hole and remove it with my hand.

36 minutes ago, BadBob said:

Nowadays, I make the hole larger if I can't fit the dowel or peg into the hole and remove it with my hand.

I have my bits drilled and sitting in a block of wood, this way I can take whatever I am fitting and just slide it in.  I have my axle pegs, slightly tight and only need a slight tap of the hammer, or I use my bench vice.  I have a space inside between the pegs for the glue to seep.  I am trying to build these as strong as possible so they pass the 10x drop at 4.5 feet on cement.  This is the test for Child Safety certification. So my tolerances are on the tighter side.

NOw if I do a full axel, then of course the holes are somewhat loose for the axel to spin vs the wheel and glued peg.

Edited by rafairchild2

Okay, so I quickly did a prototype with the boat tail taper and the little people cut down and glued into place for safety.

I had some canary wood cast off so I used that.  I like this... A few more tweaks, but overall fast to cut, drill, and shape.

This is how I spend the last day of my 5-day leave...

12.jpg

13.jpg

Edited by rafairchild2

7 hours ago, BadBob said:

Very nice. Keep up the excellent work.

I make many toys, and one of my best tools is a set of drill bits in number and letter sizes. Dowels and axle pegs are not always the correct size. When gluing a dowel into a wheel or a peg into a body, there must be enough room for the dowel and glue. These bits allow me to quickly increase the size of a hole by a few thousandths. If the hole is tight when you dry fit, it will be much tighter once it is wet with glue. I have split toy bodies when forcing a peg into a hole, and I once had glue squirt out of the side of a toy. Nowadays, I make the hole larger if I can't fit the dowel or peg into the hole and remove it with my hand.

Bod, I have what might be a stupid question.  I think I know but need you to tell me.  How do you enlarge the hole with the smaller bits?  When I need  dowel I will take the project with me to make sure the dowel will fit into the hole.  I have a good supply of dowels that are just a tad to large.  I have also tried to sandpaper the dowels to the right size but they always end up lopsided.  Result is a bumpy ride.

Jerry

29 minutes ago, jerry walters said:

How do you enlarge the hole with the smaller bits?

I'm enlarging the hole with a larger bit. For example, I have a 1/4-inch hole, and the dowel is too tight. 1/4-inch = 0.25 On my drill size chart, the next larger size is F, which is 0.257 or 7 thousandths of an inch larger.

Yes, I could sand the dowels to fit, but I think this is much easier. I buy dowels, pegs, and wheels in large quantities. I have purchased 1,000 wheels of a single size before. My local stores only keep a few dowels on hand; the last time I checked, they were pine.

9 hours ago, jerry walters said:

I didn't know bits came in letter sizes or that they even existed.  At 84 I'm still learning.  Thanks Bob.

Jerry

I have known about them for years but did not own a set until a few years ago when I watched a video of a luthier using them to repair an expensive guitar. After watching the video, I bought a set. If you do anything that requires precise hole sizes, these are what you need. You can get letter and number size bits separately, but they seem to be most commonly available in sets that have letter, number, and fractional sizes. I bought mine at Harbor Freight.