Hello from Colorado

Bensbooks

Hello scroll saw village. I  relatively new to scrolling. I took over a the book cutting part of my mother in laws book cutting business after my father in laws passing. I am loving it! He was using an old dremmel 1680 and after 8 months the noise and vibration was getting the best of me. Just bought a used Dewalt 788 on marketplace. Cut two books and discovered the knocking problem. Gonna work on that soon. Looks like an easy fix. 

I just found this site and am excited to explore all the knowledge and experience that is here. 

Quick question. The books I cut are between 1-1/2 inches. I’m using a 7tpi blade on highest speed. Does that sound like the right setup? 

thanks

Ben

Welcome to the Village from North Carolina. I don't cut books and my saw is a Pegas, so my advice is only to say if you are happy with the results then it is the right setup for you. I adjust the speed to a comfortable setting where I can cut accurately. I also have a tendency to cut with the smallest blade possible to get the job done. The number of teeth per inch can be affected by the type and thickness of material you are cutting. The blade needs to clear the sawdust (in your case, paper cuttings) from the kerf to cut properly.

The knowledge on this forum is vast and I'm sure there will be someone to comment with a lot better advice than I can provide. We love pictures here so don't hesitate to post your projects. It allows for constructive criticism as well as inspiration for others on the forum.

Hi Ben, this is Jerry also from Colorado.  I live in the Arvada area.  What part of the state do you live in?  You will find the folks here are very knowledgeable and will offer lots of advice.  They are also very kind and considerate.  Enjoy were stay, hope you are here for a long time.

Jerry

19 hours ago, jerry walters said:

Hi Ben, this is Jerry also from Colorado.  I live in the Arvada area.  What part of the state do you live in?  You will find the folks here are very knowledgeable and will offer lots of advice.  They are also very kind and considerate.  Enjoy were stay, hope you are here for a long time.

Jerry

Grand junction

We have two clubs in my area. The most active is a wood-turning club.  And there is a carving club.  I have been to the woodturning club meetings several times because I have a good friend who belongs to it.   I go because it is great to be around woodworkers of any kind.   There are also a few there that scroll.  I keep thinking it may be a place to start a subset group.  Turners and scroller.