My 1998 Hegner Speed Control IS BROKE??

danny

IS THERE A WAY TO FIX THE CIRCUIT BOARD THAT CONTROLS THE SPEED?

IT HAS BEEN SLOWLY GETTING WORSE.  CALLED ADVANCE  AND CIRCUIT BOARD IS LIL OVER

$200.00 WHICH I CANNOT AFFORD AT THIS TIME.  ANYWAY JUST PUTTING THIS OUT AND HOPING.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY ADVICE.   Danny  :+}

I would start with the easy things first. Check the brushes and armature. The brushes for wear and/or glazing. Check the armature for carbon buildup and/or not being " shiny ". If the armature looks damaged check for debris between the brass leads.

If the brushes or armature have issues,it will affect the speed control.

Do you have any kind of an electronic shop around?  It could be as simple as the potentiometer.  Maybe even a computer repair place, tv repair, or tool repair shop would take a look at it for you. I would take the speed control off and take it and ask.   Any type of place that has some electronics knowledge and testing equipment.  

No brushes to check in the armature as its an AC motor; I'm not sure if its cap-start or cap-run, but it has a capacitor.  

I replaced the several components in my Hegner's control box some time ago as I thought I had a problem.  You will need some skill with a soldering iron to do this, but it's not terrible difficult.  

My saw is a 93 22VS, I don't know why the controller parts would be different from one variable speed to another, so check before ordering.

These are the parts I ordered from DigiKey:

‎1993-1229-ND‎
‎PC16SH-07CP04-104A2020-TA‎
POT 100K OHM LINEAR
Shipped By Digi-Key Electronics
Immediate
2.75000 $5.50
‎S39KCACT-ND‎
‎RNMF14FTC39K0‎
RES 39K OHM 1/4W 1% AXIAL
Immediate
0.10000 $0.20
‎294KXBK-ND‎
‎MFR-25FBF52-294K‎
RES 294K OHM 1/4W 1% AXIAL
Immediate
0.10000 $0.20
‎280KXBK-ND‎
‎MFR-25FBF52-280K‎
RES 280K OHM 1/4W 1% AXIAL
Immediate
0.10000 $0.20

The resistors weren't bad, just got them as things are tight in there and I figured I might as well replace them as they would be in the way of replacing the potentiometer and might get damaged.  The pot is the correct size and values, but it does have an 'off' click position at the very slowest speed; however, that 'off' position does nothing for the speed, it just keeps running at super slow.  I doubt I have pics anymore.

You may be able to repair the pot with contact cleaner and compressed air without disassembling things.  I also cannot guarantee this will fix things.  I'm pretty sure that the controller is a variable frequency drive and that is likely why the cost is so high.  Variable frequency drives are the only correct way to control the speed of an AC motor.  

Hope that all helps.  

The short answer to your original question is the controller should be repairable by a competent person with a multimeter and the knowledge of how to use it. The controller is just made up of pieces and parts that are all replaceable. The problem will come in if the motor is the culprit. The average person probably won't be able to fix it without the proper equipment and knowledge. Hegner saws have a "slow start" feature that also muddies the water. Best of luck and be careful.

BIG BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE.  THE SAW WILL START

AND RUN.  I DID HIT N MISS AND FOUND A SWEET SPOT SO TO SPEAK WITH THE SAW NOT RUNNING FULL SPEED.  I CAN USE IT COMFORTABLY.  ITS JUST SLOWER THAN I AM USE TO.  Thanks Again.........Danny  :+}

I will try to contact spray and the Air. 

YES....YES....  WHAT I AM EXPERIENCING IS THE SAME AS YOU JUST SAID.  Another thing I have did

is IF IT STARTS REAL SLOW OR JUST NOT AT ALL ....  I TAP THE SPEED KNOB AND IT STARTS GOING.

I have called Advanced Machinery as they seem to be Hegner company etc.  They told me FOR SURE

THAT IT WAS THAT LITTLE CIRCUIT BOARD.  Speed Control....  :+}

On 9/6/2024 at 4:41 AM, rash_powder said:

On potentiometers you can find the part number and sometimes value either on the bottom, around the perimeter, or around the adjuster shaft.  

That soft start, at least on my saw, seems surgy - that is speed up and slow down, speed up slow down; etc.  It does this 3-4 times before full speed settles in.  

I sold my first Hegner because of that.

On 9/6/2024 at 11:58 AM, danny said:

THANKS AGAIN ALL.  I think I

will just start saving and buy a

New Speed Control Lil Circuit board.  Later.........Danny  :+}

Buy a can of compressed air and try blowing out the whole controller unit. It might be a cheap fix.

Edited by OCtoolguy

11 hours ago, Matt B said:

There is a man in UK with a lot of repair information about Hegner scroll saws. His Facebook is Hegner A Saw Subject. Here is a link to some of his posts.  https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=122164891778219647&id=61556589420174

I was going to suggest him also. I've read everything he has written. A very good source for info on Hegner saws. And, If you write to him with a question or comment, he will respond pretty quickly.

2 hours ago, danny said:
Compressed Air used with No Positive Results.  boohoo    Danny
Oh well....I still think I'd try troubleshooting the controller. There must be someone in your world that knows how to use a multimeter. I went back and reread your original post. You never really explained what your saw is doing. How exactly is it acting and what is your complaint? All you said was that it just keeps getting worse. What does that mean?

Edited by OCtoolguy

Another thought just came to mind. Most all of us use foot switches to start and stop our saws. That could present a problem because the variable controller is not being "exercised" the way it was intended. It could be building up a corrosion of some sort on the winding of the pot and make it start acting funny. It might be wise of us who do use foot switches to give the knob a twirl each time we use the saw just to clean the build-up off the winding and its moveable contact part.