glue sqeeze out

Ctutor

been meaning to mention if you are frustrated by the white glue squeeze out there is a better way.  Tightbond has a translucent glue that is as strong at their usual stuff.  It has a brown shade bottle lable with the word "translucent' under the name  It dries perfectly clear so no white lines show after you glue a joint. Have been using it for several years with no weakness and no white lines left.

I also have been using the translucent glue for several years. I still will use a toothpick to try to clean up any squeeze out but any that gets left behind or missed doesn't seem to show up. 

Also depending on what I'm gluing up I found that gluing backers on portraits or signage type stuff with several fretwork cuts that it's easier to spread a thin layer of glue out on a piece of wax paper or I usually use a trash bag and dipping the back side of the project into the glue makes for much more even glue spread and much faster way to do it. Once the glue dries on the bag you can take it out in the yard and shake most of the dried glue off.. and you can still use the bag. You can use a business card to spread the glue around on the bag to get a thin layer or use some plastic filler spreaders from Harbor Freight https://www.harborfreight.com/plastic-spreader-set-3-piece-69563.html 

1 hour ago, BadBob said:

Aleene's has several glues that cure clear.

If I want clear, I use ELMERS Glue-All Multi-Purpose Glue. It's cheap and I like the nozzle on the bottle.

I mostly use Titebond II because I have a lot of it. Once, I had my wife pick up some for me, not knowing the store had gallon jugs. 😏

Just know that these glues do have expire dates and do go bad.. especially if not stored properly like in excessive heat or cold areas etc.. 

21 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Just know that these glues do have expire dates and do go bad.. especially if not stored properly like in excessive heat or cold areas etc.. 

This is not a quote because I can't remember exactly what he said. The Titebond rep said it is OK to use if it doesn't get thick, separate, lumpy, etc. Essentially, it is OK to use if the glue doesn't change. He was a chemist and Technical Service Manager at Titebond. My personal experience bears this out. My glue doesn't go through extreme temperature changes.

He also discussed:

To test, glue two pieces of wood together, let the glue cure overnight, and break the joint. If the wood breaks instead of the glue, it is OK to use it.

They tested glue that was 22 years old, and it worked.

The expiration date is used to please lawyers. It means that Titebond will support the glue until the expiration date, no matter how it is stored.

Edited by BadBob