How To Make An Ornament Video

BadBob

I want to make short videos of ornaments I have made. I have a turntable, and creating videos of the toys I make is easy. However, the only thing I can come up with for making a video of an ornament is to hang it from an ornament stand and spin it on the turntable.

I'm hoping that some of you might have other ideas.

I've kinda wonder how to best showcase ornaments too.. I've seen some folks say to show some photos on a tree as they are intended to be for.. yet I've seen many photos with some pine tree or similar foliage and I can't say I like anything I've seen yet. Out of all 450 ish listings I have I only have one that has a video.. can't say that item gets any better traffic or views etc.. than any other product I have. So far the best videos I've seen were actually just a short clip of the ornament being held in someone's hand and rotated etc. to showcase both sides and showing the edges etc. Been thinking about doing this myself.. but I do have some really bad photos that I've been wanting to update so that is what I'm currently working on.. I like the photos I have that have the black background in the white gift box that I ship them in. The cotton filled white background in the white box are very old photos.. surprised etsy didn't select these to be improved but most of those have no issues. Then the older photos yet are the ones that have no box at all.. and those are really old photos probably back from 2012 ish before I started placing them in the gift boxes.   

I primarily want to make the videos for video-only places or sites where videos get more clicks. It's easy to make a short slide show for the Etsy video. When Etsy first added the video option, my first thought was that it was a way to add more photos, which is exactly what I used the videos for. This does not work well for ornaments.

A while back, I posted some sample photos in the Goimagine forum: an ornament with several different-colored backgrounds and one with a Christmas tree background. I asked which one they liked the best. Black won no contest. People thought it looked elegant. Second was the Christmas tree background, although several people thought it looked cluttered.

40 minutes ago, BadBob said:

I primarily want to make the videos for video-only places or sites where videos get more clicks. It's easy to make a short slide show for the Etsy video. When Etsy first added the video option, my first thought was that it was a way to add more photos, which is exactly what I used the videos for. This does not work well for ornaments.

A while back, I posted some sample photos in the Goimagine forum: an ornament with several different-colored backgrounds and one with a Christmas tree background. I asked which one they liked the best. Black won no contest. People thought it looked elegant. Second was the Christmas tree background, although several people thought it looked cluttered.

Yeah, the cluttered part is what I feel on all the ones I've looked at on etsy with the tree limbs etc in the background.. I feel like the tree photos don't really showcase the ornament.. too much distraction with the limbs etc. I've not really seen anything done with ornaments that I really like.. I'd be curious what others think about how I've been doing it.. I don't like it but I am just doing it to the best of my ability.. Have always thought there has got to be a better way to show them. 

As for doing video for the ornament you could show the cutting process or similar.. I show either the scrolling or the laser in a sped up clip and use the main photo thumbnail of the ornament then have it show the video.. or sometimes show the making process and the photo of the at the end of the video. 

Have to ask, are you talking flat ornaments or 3 d. If you are talking flat, why bother?  If 3d then you have more to look at. Many years ago before all these programs you can download these days I wanted to show off my pens but had no idea how to do this. I had someone show me how through using photoshop. It required taking a bunch of photos and then making them in a loop somehow and you could set the timing of the slides and it would look like it spins. Now stick on a turntable and make a video. I am sure there is programs that can take out the backgrounds such as a hanging branch and the turntable and it looks like it spins in free air. Hey you guys are more phone savy than I ever will be but I have seen this done.  You can always use a pin to hold the ornament upright on a turntable.  Or you can invert a turntable upside down and support it so it is out of camera shot and use a piece of monofilament thread and support the ornament and have it spin.   This is how I did the pen in this video. 

Here was my attempt many many years ago. I did away with this idea for way too much work. Can be a whole lot easier today using one of the methods I mentioned.

-animated-pen-knot-good-file.gif

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

I'm not a big fan of slide shows.. I don't think etsy created the video thing just to get the option of more photos... shoppers (at least when I shop) I like to see the real deal of a video to showcase the item.. in this instance talking of ornaments.. I think holding the ornament in the hand and moving it around does way more than a slide show.. for one you have to keep it entertaining and most slide shows I've seen are a turn off for me.. either paused too long between photos or too fast.. nothing better than the actual video of something unless you're some kind of pro at making a great video out of several pictures.. most of them showcase many of the same photos that are already in the listing.  

Since you're wanting to do this on video sites rather than etsy why not just do a video with it in your hand and you can talk to describe it or say something about it. You could do it standing by a pine tree in the background with the tree somewhat blurred out.  I like how this person has their video set up.. holding the ornament with other variations of ornaments in focus and just a small amount of tree limbs that are not right in your face.. they did a good job of putting the focus onto the ornaments.. 

I just did a search for wood ornament on etsy and on the first couple pages I like this best of all of them for the video part. https://www.etsy.com/listing/1287035194/personalized-christmas-ornaments-gift?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=wood+christmas+ornaments&ref=sr_gallery-1-33&sts=1&content_source=d89441933f18e90ae50f4794360dc416041553ed%3A1287035194&organic_search_click=1 

I am an absolute nut or call me what you want but I hate when people hold things in their hands to show. I see it so much on my pen forum and I can not stand it. I just do not bother to look at the item. The reason is simple. Many times peoples hands are cruddy and fingernails are filthy and it detracts from the items. I am sure there is a medical term for my dislike but call it what you want but you would never get a sale from me for holding any item in the hand. You see alot of this with today's phones. Hold in hand and click. So my question always is, if you took so much time to make the item then why can't you take a little more time to display it properly. I know one reason is because of the society we have become. ALWAY IN A HURRY. Look at the way we drive today. 100MPH to get nowhere.  It is a pet peeve of mine. But do as you please but I maybe not the only one out here that thinks on this line. 

I did not see anything in OP asking about Etsy but if that is the case I do not know what any of those sites allow or not. But if doing for own web site then I suggest find a way other than the hand. Again even in Kevin's link, it is a flat ornament. Why do you need to do a 360 degree view? Show straight on front and then one from a slight angle if it has any depth to the ornament. Again my opinion only. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

8 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Have to ask, are you talking flat ornaments or 3 d. If you are talking flat, why bother?

I am talking about both. When promoting on social media, some places only let you post videos. I've done many of the slide shows in video format, and those are a piece of cake. I use software to do drag-and-drop, set times, crossfades, and soundtracks. I have the photos already, so it only takes a short time.

I don't use a phone for any of this.

I photograph using a digital SLR camera with proper lighting, and occasionally, I photograph the item in my hand to show scale. In the final edit, if I see any defects, like dirt cuts, etc., it gets rejected and deleted.

Again, the primary reason for making videos is for those social media sites that don't allow photos. However, through experimentation on sites that allow both video and pictures, I have discovered that the click-through rates and saves are much higher for videos, even slide shows.

For Etsy videos, the search results show the video if one exists. When you mouse over the photo, you see the video. Slide shows are easy to make and work well here. Google Merchant Center does something similar with the ads, but Google creates the slide show from the photos in the listing or provided by you.

5 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

I am an absolute nut or call me what you want but I hate when people hold things in their hands to show. I see it so much on my pen forum and I can not stand it. I just do not bother to look at the item. The reason is simple. Many times peoples hands are cruddy and fingernails are filthy and it detracts from the items. I am sure there is a medical term for my dislike but call it what you want but you would never get a sale from me for holding any item in the hand. You see alot of this with today's phones. Hold in hand and click. So my question always is, if you took so much time to make the item then why can't you take a little more time to display it properly. I know one reason is because of the society we have become. ALWAY IN A HURRY. Look at the way we drive today. 100MPH to get nowhere.  It is a pet peeve of mine. But do as you please but I maybe not the only one out here that thinks on this line. 

I did not see anything in OP asking about Etsy but if that is the case I do not know what any of those sites allow or not. But if doing for own web site then I suggest find a way other than the hand. Again even in Kevin's link, it is a flat ornament. Why do you need to do a 360 degree view? Show straight on front and then one from a slight angle if it has any depth to the ornament. Again my opinion only. 

I somewhat agree about the hands being dirty etc.. this is exactly why I don't do this, LOL.. however these type videos is what I find to be the best option so far that I have seen.. so long as the hands are somewhat clean, LOL.. not saying there isn't a better way to do this.. 

I mentioned etsy because Bob sells online and a couple years ago etsy introduced the video option and claimed the video will gain you more visibility and sales so I assumed that's why he was asking but my bad I assumed wrong. I don't mess with video on there since I haven't found a way that I really like and adding video to the 450 existing products I'd rather get it right the first time or not do it at all. In some cases I think video of flat ornaments to show the back side is crucial.. there are many ornaments that have spots on the back side to engrave a short message.. I know that isn't the case for most scrolled ornaments but it is something that still would help as some people "assume" just like I did about the video being for etsy.. some might assume the ornament is two sided.. most are not.. that's the thing with selling online is if you knew nothing about the ornament.. and there is not 360 view how do you know exactly what you're getting. It's the little things of detail that makes or breaks a sale..  

49 minutes ago, BadBob said:

I photograph using a digital SLR camera with proper lighting, and occasionally, I photograph the item in my hand to show scale. In the final edit, if I see any defects, like dirt cuts, etc., it gets rejected and deleted.

Again, the primary reason for making videos is for those social media sites that don't allow photos. However, through experimentation on sites that allow both video and pictures, I have discovered that the click-through rates and saves are much higher for videos, even slide shows.

For Etsy videos, the search results show the video if one exists. When you mouse over the photo, you see the video. Slide shows are easy to make and work well here. Google Merchant Center does something similar with the ads, but Google creates the slide show from the photos in the listing or provided by you.

I've seen the video play when the mouse hovers the photo when doing searches.. I like that and am sure it would help in getting some traffic etc. 

Adding video has been on my to do list and I have yet seen one that I really like. Need to invent a motorized ornament hanger.. that's probably a thing?.. maybe I need to look into that. I realize that the slide show probably helps but I just can't bring myself to spend the time to create 500 slide shows that I'm not impressed with in the first place.. 

Your camera is way overkill for most online things.. I have one of those cameras that I bought specifically for photos / video for online selling.. way too much of a pain in the behind to use.. a cell phone is plenty good and what most people are using anyway.. 

13 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

that's the thing with selling online is if you knew nothing about the ornament.. and there is not 360 view how do you know exactly what you're getting. It's the little things of detail that makes or breaks a sale.

I buy a lot online, and if a seller doesn't give good details and photos, I go elsewhere. I have seen many listings where the images don't match the description.

First, you need to get seen. That is my primary reason for asking this question. There may not be a good answer.

3 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

motorized ornament hanger..

They have them. I never thought of that.

5 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Your camera is way overkill for most online things.

Yes, but it makes product photography much easier. The problem I have with using a phone is the typical wide-angle lens and the inability to set things like the depth of field/F-stop. I have used three cameras and two phone cameras for this. My Canon blows them all away. It is better quality and much easier to use. I had a couple of older Nikon (non SLRs) that worked great but the problem was they were very difficult to configure. I gave those away.

8 minutes ago, BadBob said:

They have them. I never thought of that.

Yes, but it makes product photography much easier. The problem I have with using a phone is the typical wide-angle lens and the inability to set things like the depth of field/F-stop. I have used three cameras and two phone cameras for this. My Canon blows them all away. It is better quality and much easier to use. I had a couple of older Nikon (non SLRs) that worked great but the problem was they were very difficult to configure. I gave those away.

Yeah, I'm thinking if you could get a spinning display thing and then put some fake pine tree limbs somewhat in the background might look pretty decent if you can get the layout staged good. What do they call those spinning things, LOL... This has been my idea but I've never knew what to search for. If you find something let me know. 

My camera is a Cannon SLR I bought in 2016  but I can't remember what model. I suppose it depends on where you're putting the video because some sights are designed around the wide angle of the phones.. unless you're looking at the said sites on computers.. I think most use the phone apps for the social sites so they look good on phone but not so much on computer.. again probably most are using phone apps anyway.  

51 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

I somewhat agree about the hands being dirty etc.. this is exactly why I don't do this, LOL.. however these type videos is what I find to be the best option so far that I have seen.. so long as the hands are somewhat clean, LOL.. not saying there isn't a better way to do this.. 

I mentioned etsy because Bob sells online and a couple years ago etsy introduced the video option and claimed the video will gain you more visibility and sales so I assumed that's why he was asking but my bad I assumed wrong. I don't mess with video on there since I haven't found a way that I really like and adding video to the 450 existing products I'd rather get it right the first time or not do it at all. In some cases I think video of flat ornaments to show the back side is crucial.. there are many ornaments that have spots on the back side to engrave a short message.. I know that isn't the case for most scrolled ornaments but it is something that still would help as some people "assume" just like I did about the video being for etsy.. some might assume the ornament is two sided.. most are not.. that's the thing with selling online is if you knew nothing about the ornament.. and there is not 360 view how do you know exactly what you're getting. It's the little things of detail that makes or breaks a sale..  

Then just take another photo of the back side or explain in description. 

2 hours ago, BadBob said:

I am talking about both. When promoting on social media, some places only let you post videos. I've done many of the slide shows in video format, and those are a piece of cake. I use software to do drag-and-drop, set times, crossfades, and soundtracks. I have the photos already, so it only takes a short time.

I don't use a phone for any of this.

Well then photos are your thing. You should know then there are programs that can delete areas that are not wanted. Using a turntable is the way to go. I have several sizes and they are cheap. The come with mirrors and also lighted if that interests you. I use them at my craft shows to display some highend pieces. I gave you my ideas and wish you luck with the project.  

I say stick them on an ornament stand and put it on a turntable and shoot the video. For size thing place something recognizable next to it. You see this alot on FB. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

1 minute ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Then just take another photo of the back side or explain in description. 

I find that only about 20% of people actually read and understand the description.. You'd be surprised at how many folks message me asking what size my clock inserts are.. when it's right in the title of the listing as well as in the description.. IF the size isn't photographed they don't see it.. Imaging is everything with online selling.. Descriptions are actually a waste of time really because hardly anyone reads them.. however they are there for the search engines to be able to pick up keywords for the search terms so you do need a description but not many are actually reading it.. 

1 minute ago, kmmcrafts said:

I find that only about 20% of people actually read and understand the description.. You'd be surprised at how many folks message me asking what size my clock inserts are.. when it's right in the title of the listing as well as in the description.. IF the size isn't photographed they don't see it.. Imaging is everything with online selling.. Descriptions are actually a waste of time really because hardly anyone reads them.. however they are there for the search engines to be able to pick up keywords for the search terms so you do need a description but not many are actually reading it.. 

My point is you are allowed so many photos so why not use that and do a better job doing still photos. Certain angles can show so much detail. I know about customers. That is why selling at shows trumps online sales hands down because people can pick up and hold and see in real time. With online sales it is all about photos. Photography is part of this process. Just as the gift of gab and sales pitch is part of the process when selling in person. 

Okay, after this discussion I figured out how to find some of these.. I like the one with the remote best but.. 

I wonder how well these would hold up to spray clear.. I could see these being handy to spray my Lacquer on my ornaments.. I normally spray the back and then turn over to spray the front. Be nice to be able to spray it all.. I've tried this though and the air from the sprayer blows the ornaments around too much.

https://www.amazon.com/Therwen-Rotating-Halloween-Christmas-Decoration/dp/B0C6TGRKV9/ref=asc_df_B0C6TGRKV9/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=693713553277&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14325264837848799259&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9194466&hvtargid=pla-2201146243823&mcid=be2e278617743579a87e370ea09ba7b5&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Rotating-Ornament-Controller-Included-Opertated/dp/B07GQSM6QD/ref=asc_df_B07GQSM6QD/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=693712983250&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14325264837848799259&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9194466&hvtargid=pla-526465764841&mcid=64340e33ae933d9eb2cb0d998c604edc&th=1

Edited by kmmcrafts

Ornament hangers. There are all kinds. I use them alot at my shows and as I said I put them on a turntable also. What difference does it make if it is seen or not. That is the whole idea. I actually sell ornament hangers for the fact that people can display all year round and do not have to hang on a tree. No code where it says an ornament has to hang from a tree. You can get various hangers that display one or more than one. You can get them is sizes. You can actually make your own. There are many examples of this in scrollsawing magazines. I know I have seen them but can not cite specific numbers. There are actual books for making your own. Here are some examples of my birdhouse ornaments. These are meant to be displayed year round. 

bird ornaments.jpg

Copy of IMGP0525.JPG

IMGP0701.JPG

IMGP0086.JPG

10 minutes ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

My point is you are allowed so many photos so why not use that and do a better job doing still photos. Certain angles can show so much detail. I know about customers. That is why selling at shows trumps online sales hands down because people can pick up and hold and see in real time. With online sales it is all about photos. Photography is part of this process. Just as the gift of gab and sales pitch is part of the process when selling in person. 

Agreed, however the selling venues are encouraging video anyway and they boost your visibility in searches is why we are talking about video rather than still pictures..

18 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

The problem with your ornaments is the hanging method. You have the hanging hole as part of the ornament so any device you make to hold the ornament to spray is going to interfere with that hole. But suggestions are to use stiff copper wire and hold it that way then you spray 99.95% of the ornament and touch up the hole after. Or you can make a dowel with a clip such as a clothespin or even small hobby  clamps or miniature woodworking spring clamps 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

23 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Yeah, I'm thinking if you could get a spinning display thing and then put some fake pine tree limbs somewhat in the background might look pretty decent if you can get the layout staged good

You might be able to insert a background with software. Shoot the video on a green screen and insert the background of your choice, either from public domain photos or something you make yourself. I have a small collection of Christmas tree photos I collected from public domain images, plus some I made for myself. I have changed the background in lots of pictures but never for video.

I have a Canon T7i. I shoot product photos from a tripod using a timer and an aperture set to F22 to achieve the maximum depth of field.

23 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Ornament hangers. There are all kinds. I use them alot at my shows and as I said I put them on a turntable also. What difference does it make if it is seen or not. That is the whole idea. I actually sell ornament hangers for the fact that people can display all year round and do not have to hang on a tree. No code where it says an ornament has to hang from a tree. You can get various hangers that display one or more than one. You can get them is sizes. You can actually make your own. There are many examples of this in scrollsawing magazines. I know I have seen them but can not cite specific numbers. There are actual books for making your own. Here are some examples of my birdhouse ornaments. These are meant to be displayed year round. 

bird ornaments.jpg

Copy of IMGP0525.JPG

IMGP0701.JPG

IMGP0086.JPG

Those are some beautiful birdhouses. Someday, I want to try making these.

I have made some ornament hangers out of plywood. They are ugly. Since I started this discussion, I have found the wire hangers and several ideas on how to make them.