Sun Rider try

heppnerguy

On 9/10/2024 at 10:22 AM, MarieC said:

Dick, Nice work!  Do you use spiral blades very often?  When I use them they get all squirrely. 

...Look where I am!   Just coming back from Newport Beach, Oregon and saw this sign....thought of you!🙂

Screenshot_20240910-140830_Gallery.thumb.jpg.3afe4396af35137e7ed80f11e444081e.jpg

I am very familiar with this sign.. it is 45 miles to Heppner from HWY 84 where this sign is.. Did  you see the Charlie Brown rock on your way down 84 by Arlington?

Dick

2 hours ago, heppnerguy said:

It is a little difficult to understand the pattern fully as there are a lot of small marks and I was not sure at some of it. I do not come near to the talent of Kris Mortinson but I gave it my best effort.

Dick

heppnerguy

As always, any discrepancies between your cutting and the pattern are known only to you. :) 

7 hours ago, heppnerguy said:

I am very familiar with this sign.. it is 45 miles to Heppner from HWY 84 where this sign is.. Did  you see the Charlie Brown rock on your way down 84 by Arlington?

Dick

Yes, you are correct about the sign.  No, I did not see the Charlie Brown rock....Not sure why I missed it.   Probably because I was so excited when I saw your Heppner sign that I had to share with my hubby the significant about it.   Do let @Scrappile and I know if you ever return there again.   :)

On 9/10/2024 at 6:57 PM, Scrappile said:

You must be coming very close to me.  You didn't stop by?!  Oregon Coast is one of my wife's and my favorite places.  We have spent many vacations there, and I have since I was a little kid.  Such great memories.

I know, 😔 we drove right past your exit and I thought of you....but Steve was on a mission to get to Newport beach.  It is about an 8hr drive from our place.  If I was by myself, I surely would have stopped in to see you both.  The ocean was very beautiful and the weather was perfect! :)

13 hours ago, MarieC said:

Yes, you are correct about the sign.  No, I did not see the Charlie Brown rock....Not sure why I missed it.   Probably because I was so excited when I saw your Heppner sign that I had to share with my hubby the significant about it.   Do let @Scrappile and I know if you ever return there again.   :)

The Charlie Brown sign is located just West of Arlington, which if you remember Arlington is about 15  miles West of the Arlington exit on 84. As you are heading West on 84 and passed the Arlington exit the road starts a fairly long assent upward. When you are approximately half way up the hill, look to your left, (away from the river side) and you will see what almost looks like the a man made sculpture of Charlie Brown laying on his back and looking at the sky. It is amazing and probably missed by most people driving the route. 

I am going to go to Heppner in November for one week. Not sure if I will have the time to get away as there is a lot planned for this trip.

Dick

heppnerguy

14 hours ago, Lester Willerton said:

Nice pattern. Turned out great. Good job with the spirals.

Thank you very much. I am about 80 percent happy about the results but wish I had an idea about how to do the parts I did not cut. I use spiral blades when the pattern has a lot of rather delicate cuts and I need to be more assured that I will not get any pieces broken out in the process.

Dick

heppnerguy

On 9/12/2024 at 6:21 PM, Blaughn said:

Nice work.  I have never tried spirals.  I would think that would take some getting used to.....

Nice Job!!

I had the same feelings about spiral blades as do a lot of scrollers but I also knew that the people that did use them were able to do the most delicate cuts easier without the occasional breakage so I decided if I wanted to do that kind of cuts, I would need to learn how to use them. I practiced on a couple of patterns and to my amazement I was able to get the feel of them very quickly. I found one of the secrets was to run the saw at a rather fast rate and unlike the flat blade I needed to keep my sight on the edge  of the blade instead of the center of the blade. I learned that it was very important to keep moving with a steady pace and like the flat blade there were no turning of the pattern as you went. I did also discover on very small items it was best to have the blade running directly toward me like with the flat blades so I could easily see     exactly where the outside of the blade was cutting. I believe if you try them on a pattern that really does not have a lot of cuts and take your time and just sort of aim your blade at it destination and keep a slow steady and smooth pace  you will be surprised how fast you can learn to use the spiral. Remember when you first started to drive a car and how as you were about to enter a corner for the first time, how scary that coming up turn seem to be and after a couple of turns you found you could just sort of relax and the curves did not require all that amount of practice as you thought it might? Same with the spiral..so keep the speed up some, just keep moving smoothly along, watch the outside of the blade as that is closest to the line you are cutting and you will find they are quicker to use and not that difficult at all. 

Dick

heppnerguy