Some of God's work

heppnerguy

I know this not the right place to put this but I thought it was probably the place most looked at by members so I took the liberty to post it here. This will be most interesting to those that do intarsia work but even if one does not, I believe all would be interesting in viewing it

My daughter in Heppner, Oregon, where we lived for over 15 years before moving to Arizona, has a wood burning stove that she heats her home with and she was cutting her wood so they will be ready when the summer warmth disappears. As she was splitting some Camerack wood some of the pieces had this unbelievably beautiful pink center. Knowing that I do some intarsia, she sent me a photo of a piece of it. I asked her how wide it the pink center of the wood. She told me she thought some of it was between 3 and 5 inches. She is coming for a visit next week and told my she would put a piece or two into her backpack to give to me.

The cause of the pink centers is not really known for sure by us but I was told several  years ago when I had a piece of it that was a brilliant blue, rather than the pink center this one is, that it was caused by a certain beetle that homes in the trees. Other guesses was it was caused by the soil in which it is growing. As far as I know, all is just a guess. Anyway, I hope you all enjoy seeing this, and yes, I hope to be able to get more of it and seeing if it is workable. My daughter said she will try to save as much as she can for me. My other daughter who also lives in Heppner is also a wood worker so I don't know how much she will be grabbing for herself, leaving whatever she decides I should be able to have for myself. The Pink does not go through most of the center of the wood pieces so they are extremely rare to find.

Dick

heppnerguy

pink wood.PNG

Better check before she brings that wood in her backpack. In particular since it is not kiln dried. I know some states restrict bringing in firewood from other states (some have a 10 mile rule too) and there are some hefty fines.  Unsure if this applies, as there could be beetles or some other insect they are trying to prevent from going over state lines.

But she should peel the bark off as bark Beatles live just under the bark and feed on the cambium layer.

Edited by rafairchild2

12 hours ago, Scrappile said:

There is a beetle infesting lots of Washington wood in the forest, I wonder it it somehow caused the color variation.  Like the boxelder beetles makes the red in boxelder. 

That may be the case as when Liz gave me the red centered wood and it was really bright red, she was told that very thing about beetles. It will be interesting to see this pink wood.

Dick

heppnerguy