Hello new to scrollsawing not new to woodworking

Allen levine

I live on Long Island and have been doing all sorts of woodworking including furniture and decided I wanted to try scroll sawing and get into intarsia eventually

i purchased a hegner 18 and just received it so I started making wooden figures of people and animals from a book I purchased 

I've been using my bandsaw but it creates a lot of burning and blades are expensive and don't last that long

its an adjustment getting used to the machine dictating the speed of cut and following lines and curves are a learning experience  

I do have a question to start

what is the best blade out there for cutting 3/4 inch poplar and Spanish cedar and what blade is best for harder woods at 3/4 inch like oak or sapele or cherry or maple 

here's some figures I got started in yesterday and today 

I'm making them for someone who needed 12 sets

i used a Flying Dutchman psr blade and it worked ok with little blade drift but I think blade drift is my fault since I'm still learning and waiting on a stand to keep the saw more steady with less vibration

IMG_3831.jpeg

IMG_3821.jpeg

Welcome to the village.

There's at least one opinion per scroll sawer. 😀

The drift is caused by the manufacturing process of stamped blades.

My advice to you would be to get sample packs from several blade companies and choose the types that work best for you and your cutting style.

My go to blade is the Flying Dutchman polar #1 for anything from 1/8 plywood to 1 1/2 hardwood. I'll go up in size when I have long gentle curves to cut.

Hi Allen:

Welcome to the village.

As Wichman said, the blade drift is caused the the stamping operation.  This process raises a small wired edge and this is the culprit behind the drift.  If you are cutting extreme hard wood, like Jatoba, the wired edge will wear away and the drift gradually changes.  That puzzled me for awhile.

Bruce

Here is a link to a blade chart.  Learning the basics of blade configuration, sizes, TPI count will help you decide when/where to apply that understanding.  

This is for Olson brand blades, I believe other manufacturers have similar charts that could readily be Googled.  While the specifics will differ, the same general concepts will apply.

https://www.olsonsaw.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/2020-scroll-chart-WEB.pdf

35 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

Hi AL.  Glad you decided to give this forum a try.  I think you learn and teach us a lot.  You caught on to the Hegner quickly.  Took me a while.  Hope you enjoy it here.   There are very nice people.  

I purchased a used dremel for 50 bucks years ago

i had so much trouble with blades so I gave up

recently I purchased a new Excalibur from Amazon but what I received was a boat anchor

the unit came in a shredded box

no pieces included

no speed adjustment knob a cracked body and speed control didn't work as machine kept stopping

so instead of playing around everyone said get a hegner

That is the best decision you could have made.  This is Paul Douglass from Family Woodworking.  I hope you enjoy it here. There is lots of info, so check out the site. Check resources to find suppliers of parts, blades, patterns, etc. There are hundreds of Patterns free in the pattern section, and things to learn in the University section.  And go ahead and make fun of me anytime you want. All the rest do!   I deserve it.

That is the best decision you could have made.  This is Paul Douglass from Family Woodworking.  I hope you enjoy it here. There is lots of info, so check out the site. Check resources to find suppliers of parts, blades, patterns, etc. There are hundreds of Patterns free in the pattern section, and things to learn in the University section.  And go ahead and make fun of me anytime you want. All the rest do!   I deserve it.

Hi Allen, welcome to the Village from Colorado.  Many knowledgeable people here and all are willing to help.  While you are new here take some time to navigate the system and to read past posts.  You will learn a lot from these old posts.  Learning is a continuing  process, so continue to learn from the folks here.

Jerry

blade drift as noted can cause problems.  Are you certain though you are not adding to or causing the drift.  When you note a drift relax take a deep breath and above all relax your hand that is guiding the piece.  You may see the working piece move on its own a shade back o center.  Ones hand pressure tenda to build up unnoticed and relaxing helps.  Check Pegus blades sold by Dennie this site. might like the blade.