The Frankenrouter is no more!

rafairchild2

I built a small router table out of parts from TEMU.  It worked, but there was zero flexibility as the motor was single-speed fast, the table was small, and I couldn't build out a decent vacuum system on it.  Bit changes were a nightmare as I would practically have to remove the motor from its base, and it was not easily height adjustable.  I was trying to modify it but realized I would be spending a lot more $$$ to have more of the same.  Decided to go with a Skil router table.  

I got it set up and did a few test pieces.  I like that I can raise and lower the router (removable BTW), with a crank.  The table is bigger and it has built-in vacuum ports.

Yes, there are two flaws in their design.  There is a small vac port on the router itself, but the way it faces you cannot get a hose on it because the front power strip is in the way.  I'll have to figure out how to do a 90-degree turn that is small enough to fit.  Also, the shaft lock button for bit changes is behind a plastic shroud.  So I have to use a screw driver from the top to keep the shaft from moving when I tighten/loosen the bit.

I have to figure out how to build a detachable hood that can give me more vacuum coverage from the top when I have to flip back the plastic cover.  It works great when it is down, but on some toys, I have to flip that cover up..

Overall not too bad for the price.  I like that it is red and black like my Pegas.

router.jpg

Edited by rafairchild2

If it works for you, that's all that matters.  For years I contemplated building my own custom router table, while struggling with the old Craftsman table I've had since about 1979.  A few years ago I was in Lowes looking for something else, when I stumbled on a Bosch router table that they had marked down.  It has a couple quirks that I've adapted to and a weakness with the fence mounting that I intend to rework, one of these days.  But it is a huge improvement over my old Craftsman.  Who knows?  Maybe I'll still build that dream router table someday, but this one does everything I need it to do.

Bosch 15 Amps Adjustable Mdf Router Table

9 minutes ago, Bill WIlson said:

If it works for you, that's all that matters.  For years I contemplated building my own custom router table, while struggling with the old Craftsman table I've had since about 1979.  A few years ago I was in Lowes looking for something else, when I stumbled on a Bosch router table that they had marked down.  It has a couple quirks that I've adapted to and a weakness with the fence mounting that I intend to rework, one of these days.  But it is a huge improvement over my old Craftsman.  Who knows?  Maybe I'll still build that dream router table someday, but this one does everything I need it to do.

Bosch 15 Amps Adjustable Mdf Router Table

Nice find. That is one of the better benchtop router tables out there.

4 hours ago, Bill WIlson said:

I have this same table. I'd be interested in what you don't like and find a fix for. I use a Dewalt router in it and it works for what I need it for.

2 hours ago, OCtoolguy said:

I have this same table. I'd be interested in what you don't like and find a fix for. I use a Dewalt router in it and it works for what I need it for.

The primary complaint I have is with how the fence mounts to the table.  Every time I tighten up the knobs, I expect the carriage bolts to strip and just spin in the groove.  I wish the bolts were bigger so that there was more meat to lock them in the groove.   I intend to rout channels and install T-track in the top and re-position the locking knobs accordingly.  Otherwise I think the fence is really good, almost worth what I paid for the whole shebang, just by itself.  

I've fussed with leveling the mounting plate to the table several times and still will end up with a spot that is not flush and will catch on the wood as I move it across.  That's not a huge deal and I'm sure that I can get it dialed in....again.  I just have to take the time to futz around with it some more.  I've had this table for a few years and this problem seems to crop up spontaneously, every so often.  I get it leveled up and it's fine, then after a while it's out of flush again.  Not sure why this is happening.