Cute Turtle Segmental

FrankEV

I love how you painted this. I too have a air brush but really have not used it. Can you give me some idea where I can read something to get me started  to understand what I need o know to have a reasonable start with mine?

I would so like to be able to do something even close to your wonderful ability, after a lot of practice of course.

This is a fantastic project you listed here

Dick

heppnerguy

2 hours ago, heppnerguy said:

.... I too have a air brush but really have not used it. Can you give me some idea where I can read something to get me started...

Dick, 

Unfortunately I don't know any specific instruction material, because I just dove in and experimented and practiced.  AND, I'm still learning.  I'm also fortunate that my son, who is a model car maker, uses an Air Brush and was able to give me some helpful hints. 

If you are one who likes video instruction, I know there is a lot of YOU TUBE vidios on the subject. 

Here are a few tips I can offer.

There is a saying: "Cleanliness is next to Godliness".   Well. I can't emphasize enough that keeping your AB pen/gun clean between and after use is the most important thing about using an air brush.  For water base paints, hot water works well as well as AB Cleaners.  A fine set of needle brushes is a must.  Learning how to disassemble -clean-reassemble the pen/gun is also a must.  And thre will come a time that you will need to replace the nozzle...count on it and maybe order one to have on hand when the pen/gun stops working altogether.

For painting wood, I would stick with Acrylics.   Cheap craft acrylics actually do work, but  you get what you pay for.  I have gone to buying Createx Acrylic AB Paints.  They go a long way.  For either, you will need use an acrylic reducer to thin out the paint to a milk like consistecy before spraying, or the pen/gun will clog up very quickly.  I also use either a White (for light colors) or Black (for dark colors) sealer (primer) prior to applying the finished colors. An clear acrylic spray sealer csn also be used to seal pourous woods.  Buy Opaque colors, not Transparent colors.  

Adjusting air pressure is a learning process.  For large area coverage of one color, the pressure will be higher (20-30 psi).  For shading and detail work you will only want very low pressure (5-7psi).   And always, test spray to eliminate any 'spit' before shooting the actual work.   The tricky part is learnig how to use the trigger, while moving the pen/gun, to start and stop paint spray...practice, practice and more practice.

You realy need some sort of spray booth with a exhaust fan to create a negative pressure.  Dry AB spray overspray dust will get on, and stick to, everything...very hard to clean up.  I don't recommend spraying outdoors, so the spray environment is important to obtain quality work.

Then there is color mixing.  Start with using stock paint colors for like Xmas items...Red, Green, White, Gold, Blue, Yellow,etc.  Then you will need to experiment with mixing colors to get pinks, mint greens, varios blues, tans, etc.  There are color wheels and charts you can buy at hobby shops that give you mixing instructions.   I have gone to using color concentrates that give me infinate choices, but I still don't always get the color I want.  And remember, wet and dry colors will be different.  Oh, and don't mix a lot or you will waste  lot of paint.  You will need a lot of very small plastic mixing cups and many of the small coffee stirrers.

The use of masking tape and masks made from a pattern will also help with applying the spray in the correct place on the wood.

Here is a web site for AB materials and parts you might want to look at: https://spraygunner.com/

Here is a pic of my painting station mess!

20240922_211930.thumb.jpg.700da6403d4e242e7418c559ad5c1e0e.jpg

The white flex duct goes to an inline exhaust fan and then to a dryer type vent on the outside wall.

Hope this was helpful and not discouraging.  Jump in and get started.

10 hours ago, FrankEV said:

Dick, 

Unfortunately I don't know any specific instruction material, because I just dove in and experimented and practiced.  AND, I'm still learning.  I'm also fortunate that my son, who is a model car maker, uses an Air Brush and was able to give me some helpful hints. 

If you are one who likes video instruction, I know there is a lot of YOU TUBE vidios on the subject. 

Here are a few tips I can offer.

There is a saying: "Cleanliness is next to Godliness".   Well. I can't emphasize enough that keeping your AB pen/gun clean between and after use is the most important thing about using an air brush.  For water base paints, hot water works well as well as AB Cleaners.  A fine set of needle brushes is a must.  Learning how to disassemble -clean-reassemble the pen/gun is also a must.  And thre will come a time that you will need to replace the nozzle...count on it and maybe order one to have on hand when the pen/gun stops working altogether.

For painting wood, I would stick with Acrylics.   Cheap craft acrylics actually do work, but  you get what you pay for.  I have gone to buying Createx Acrylic AB Paints.  They go a long way.  For either, you will need use an acrylic reducer to thin out the paint to a milk like consistecy before spraying, or the pen/gun will clog up very quickly.  I also use either a White (for light colors) or Black (for dark colors) sealer (primer) prior to applying the finished colors. An clear acrylic spray sealer csn also be used to seal pourous woods.  Buy Opaque colors, not Transparent colors.  

Adjusting air pressure is a learning process.  For large area coverage of one color, the pressure will be higher (20-30 psi).  For shading and detail work you will only want very low pressure (5-7psi).   And always, test spray to eliminate any 'spit' before shooting the actual work.   The tricky part is learnig how to use the trigger, while moving the pen/gun, to start and stop paint spray...practice, practice and more practice.

You realy need some sort of spray booth with a exhaust fan to create a negative pressure.  Dry AB spray overspray dust will get on, and stick to, everything...very hard to clean up.  I don't recommend spraying outdoors, so the spray environment is important to obtain quality work.

Then there is color mixing.  Start with using stock paint colors for like Xmas items...Red, Green, White, Gold, Blue, Yellow,etc.  Then you will need to experiment with mixing colors to get pinks, mint greens, varios blues, tans, etc.  There are color wheels and charts you can buy at hobby shops that give you mixing instructions.   I have gone to using color concentrates that give me infinate choices, but I still don't always get the color I want.  And remember, wet and dry colors will be different.  Oh, and don't mix a lot or you will waste  lot of paint.  You will need a lot of very small plastic mixing cups and many of the small coffee stirrers.

The use of masking tape and masks made from a pattern will also help with applying the spray in the correct place on the wood.

Here is a web site for AB materials and parts you might want to look at: https://spraygunner.com/

Here is a pic of my painting station mess!

20240922_211930.thumb.jpg.700da6403d4e242e7418c559ad5c1e0e.jpg

The white flex duct goes to an inline exhaust fan and then to a dryer type vent on the outside wall.

Hope this was helpful and not discouraging.  Jump in and get started.

Frank,  This was more helpful than any of the YouTube videos I have watched.  Thank you.  I may resurrect my airbrush.  Like Dick, I have one but got very frustrated with using it and it has been packed away for a couple of years.