Debating about calling it quits!

jimmyG

Been scrolling for a year now, have a shelf full of boxed up finished projects. No family or friends to give things away, not interested in the hassle of trying to sell any. Cut just about everything I was interested in and plenty I wasn't.  New hobby working with resin to make more things to pack away. I'm retired just killing time.  Anyone near Annapolis Maryland could get a good deal on Dewalt saw and s/load of blades & patterns soon...

And this is why I make toys.

I make them... box up a bunch... and give them away to police, fire, and hospitals to give to children in need.  I just delivered 125 toys to an organization that helps kids with cancer.

You can make artwork for organizations, give it away so they do fund raisers it is an item people could "bid" on.

Edited by rafairchild2

I think we all have gone through the dulldrums. Just nature. I stop scrolling ever since my shows were shut down with pandemic and never returned. there are no shows in my area that draw big crowds because scrolling projects do not sell well any more. I took up pen turning and making my own pen blanks. It is a wide open field that lends itself to the imagination because there are no specific patterns to follow. Also pens are so easy to gift, use as raffles and just sell. They take up so much less space and can be put in highend Jewlers stores if you have connections. So much can be done with a pen and I also on occasion use my woodworking talents to make display stands as well as display boxes. I believe my tooling will have to be sold or given away by the remaining members of the family when I pass on.  Will it be a burden yes but if they want the $$$$ work for it is my motto. My scrollsawn project inventory is quite extensive also. Someday I will move much of it through auctions and things but I can probably say I too am done with scrolling for a hobby. Been there done that. As we age it gets tougher to do the things we use to and yes it is a relaxing hobby but there are other hobbies as well. Good luck to you and your future plans.  

It looks kinda like I'm about done with it too, at least for a while. Not because I can't sell it but rather I've been having issues with vertigo / dizzy spells this entire year.. and something about sitting at the saw makes it worse so I've not been cutting much at all other than what has to be done for a order and I'm about to take off any made to order stuff and just sell off the inventory I have. Only machine I'm able to work at is the laser as I don't stir up any dust and the smoke is vented outside. 

I quit painting cars years ago for the same reason.. I have terrible sinus / allergy issues but never bothered me so long as I wear a mask, but now wearing the mask also bothers me. My ENT thinks I need surgery to fix my sinus. Just did a MRI and have follow up appointment in a couple weeks so I'll know more then.  

28 minutes ago, rjweb said:

Jim, don't give up yet, or never, like was said make things to give to needy kids, or to groups that can use for fund raisers, this is just my thought, RJ

My OCD makes any hobbies be short lived.  To go a year is a milestone for me. Problem  with me was once I started something  it had to get finished and I would sit for many hours to hurry up and finish, just to pack it away.  Think I just wanted to see if I could do it well and mission accomplished. This new hobby working with epoxy resin is more of a challenge because there's a short window of time you have to create something once the resin is mixed. Then there's that waiting until the next day to see if you created a gem or a turd.  Time will tell how long this will last. Either way there will be some nice tools listed for sale soon!

If you don't care where they go, find a local charity (a LOCAL one, not a local branch of a national - those big ones are sketchy) and donate to them.  They can use them at fundraiser sales for financial support.  Locally for us, when I get to that point that I have extras, they will be sent to Turtle Mountain Animal Rescue or Journey Home; both are local animal rescues.  

Incidentally, if anyone near Grand Forks, ND is looking for a cat, we have are fostering a 1 year old that is good with cats, dogs, and kids, and just loves to be held and will even talk with you; we also have to 6 week old kittens who will be needing a home in about a month.  

22 minutes ago, rash_powder said:

If you don't care where they go, find a local charity (a LOCAL one, not a local branch of a national - those big ones are sketchy) and donate to them.  They can use them at fundraiser sales for financial support.  Locally for us, when I get to that point that I have extras, they will be sent to Turtle Mountain Animal Rescue or Journey Home; both are local animal rescues.  

Incidentally, if anyone near Grand Forks, ND is looking for a cat, we have are fostering a 1 year old that is good with cats, dogs, and kids, and just loves to be held and will even talk with you; we also have to 6 week old kittens who will be needing a home in about a month.  

Relatively speaking, I am near GF!  I think you are the closest scroller to me that I have "met"!  I am doing two shows for cat rescues and one for rabbits/small animals this season.

11 minutes ago, JimNC said:

My wife and I are saying that this will be our last year too. November will be our last show. I still will make and donate some toys but no more shows. My grandson,7, loves my toys but his mother (daughter in law) just throws them out. 

Throws them out?!?!
For me it all boils down to just wanting to try a new hobby and see if I could actually make anything.  I made hundreds of things now it's off to a new quest, working with epoxy resin!

33 minutes ago, JimNC said:

My grandson,7, loves my toys but his mother (daughter in law) just throws them out. 

That is so sad.  At least she could donate them, or drop them off at the local Salvation Army (or equivalent) store, so it can live on with some other child.

I am making a few heirloom pieces for my grandson (and soon to be another).  The everyday type toys, when outgrown I would expect some to be donated, and a few to be put away for the great-great-grandchildren after I am gone from this world.

I hope when my GS reaches 6 or 7, he can be working by my side learning how to make toys and other wood art.

8 minutes ago, rjweb said:

Jim, someone posted before they took a break from scrolling and built a model train platform, maybe do something else not woodworking related for a few months then come back to scrolling, RJ

I started working with epoxy resin a month ago.  I've scrolled everything I'm interested in and plenty I wasn't.  Just got tired of it. Saw and blades  are  listed on Craigslist now.

On 10/12/2024 at 10:05 AM, rafairchild2 said:

I hope when my GS reaches 6 or 7, he can be working by my side learning how to make toys and other wood art.

I would love him to work with me too and I believe he would too. But his mom & dad in Palm Beach, Fl.  and his grandma & I live in North Carolina. 

29 minutes ago, JimNC said:

I would love him to work with me too and I believe he would too. But his mom & dad in Palm Beach, Fl.  and his grandma & I live in North Carolina. 

I am lucky.  My daughter and SiL bought a house 3 doors down from us... WHen he is able, he'll be able to run over to Nana and Poppy's house!

4 hours ago, rafairchild2 said:

I am lucky.  My daughter and SiL bought a house 3 doors down from us... WHen he is able, he'll be able to run over to Nana and Poppy's house!

Now that two of my kids moved out I have to say it's really nice having my son live just up the road about 1 mile.. My daughter ended up 2 hours away and going to visit seems to be a all day event and then if we want to stay and sit around a campfire etc it ends up being a very late night for us.. I'd stay the night but she has cats and I'm "very" allergic to cats... guess I could pitch a tent, 🤣.. she moved first and he moved about 6 month later... and it so nice to just have him only up the road. Her house is just a starter that they plan to update and then sell.. hopeful they move closer. I shouldn't complain because some people's kids are clear across the country so I am thankful I can at least see them when I feel like taking a day trip. 

2 hours ago, Ctutor said:

Jimmy have you tried different pattern makers.  There are a bunch out  there that might try your abilities.  Like Alex Fox.  Not only does he have some very challenging patterns but buying from him would help a Ukrainian.

It's not a question of just having different patterns, it's just time to change hobbies.  My hobbies usually don't last over a year except this one.  Retired and want fresh new challenges and as much as I enjoyed making scrolled projects, it's just gotten old for me.  I'm into casting with epoxy resin for the last month and who knows how long this will last!

I purchased a book that is bowls from boards,most are 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick, the challenge is cutting the pattern so not to need to sand a lot. Lol.

Bowls are easy to set on the  shelf and hide around the house. 

Have you thought about the car and truck kits you build from wood? My dad and brother made a few,sadly I didn't get one when dad passed, but they were given to nephews so that's ok too. I don't think any thing mom and dad crafted was thrown away.