painting

kardar2

Well, back in the day when I used airbrushes a lot, I used the Paasche double action siphon airbrush (I think it was the Paasche AB...not sure if they make it anymore, though). This looks similar to the one I used (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00397 ... ayzcach-20) Badger also was a popular brand. You could go to a hobby shop (models, trains, planes, etc) and get their opinion, since they use them all the time. But for casual use, I bet HF has one that probably work just as well.

KARDAR i've airbrush since 1991,for copy paper sized projects any airbrush will give satisfactory results.Doing the side of a house is possiable too with the el cheapo but takes alot longer and the paints need to be thinned down like milk or water.I wish i had a place to set back up as airbrushed scroll saw projects would sell so much easyer .I've thousands of dollars of airbrush books and accssories and enough paint to last a life time.You make me cringe at the though of not being able to beautyfie my projects with the air brush.Hope this info help you.I used 30 pounds of air exclusively so you could run off a spare tire for air supply,you'll just need the proper fittings.they also sell canned air 16oz.size.I've made several quite compressors from refrigeraton compressors.They will pump up 400 pounds easy but finding a tank to hold that pressure is expensive.I used shut off switchs to regulate the pounds saved and used freon 30 pound tanks.with brazed on fittings .They have a factory blow pressure of 150 pounds so keep your pressure under that and your fine. :)

hello All

I just started to use a airbrush for painting my toys. So I googled / youtube on how to use it and using acrylic paints so they showed me how to thin it with all kinds of different stuff including water. Lets just say it did not turn out well. I went to my local paints mart store and told him about my new ind ever and needed help. so he said how about using oil base paints? I said they are for kids toys (woodworking). He told me that the oil base paint is safe after about a week for kids I asked him, even if a kid chews on it ? he said yes so I bought a Qt of red for $14.81 and a Qt.can of thinner for $10.79. I am thinking that I could have got a better deal from Walmart but this is a learning curve for me. I brought it home and tried it and noticed it sure goes a lot farther than the acrylic did. as I was playing with it I notice I really need a eye dropper for mixing. So Now I would like all your opinion and pointers. thank you Kardar2

Acrylic does dry pretty fast. Perhaps it's drying at the time it's being applied and that's what's creating that rough texture. You can add a retarder to slow the drying time.

I used to use an airbrush paint called Createx. It applies really nice. You might have good luck with that. You can find it at an art shop or hobby shop.

• 2 weeks later...