My First Scroll Saw Project - A Cross! L@@k!

berighteous

Hi everybody!

A couple weeks ago I got a scroll saw to see if it would work better than my jigsaw for cutting some curved wood pieces for the bartop arcade cabinets I build. I had no idea you could actually do anything else with it. As I was googling "what can I do with a scroll saw?" (to justify the $50 expense to my wife) I found this place and the scales fell off my eyes! Totally had no idea... I knew you could cut shapes...

I got all excited about maybe getting a new hobby out of nowhere. Having no skills I thought I'd practice cutting the leftover oak laminate floor tiles I have boxes of in the shed. I found a pattern that fit and viola!

It's not great by any wild stretch, and is rough in the cuts, but I figure a set of small files will fix that and from a distance it looks nice hanging on the wall. Pretty good for a first project and the dove came out better than I expected!

post-17731-13495560602_thumb.jpg

I'm very impressed Michael ! The wood you chose is a hard wood and with all i know about that particuler piece you used it's tough to cut with any blade.My hat is off to you for your efforts in cutting such a tough piece as this very hard wood.You'll get extra money for hard wood projects so keep that in mind if you should sell .I save the dove cut out and use as small a drill bit so i don't damage the dove and set it half way back in and glue. :)

Thanks all. It was tricky in places because I have a saw that uses "pin" blades (it's was $50 at harbor freight with a coupon and I didn't know there were different kinds) so the holes I have to drill are huge to get the blade through. The big holes tear up the plan I had taped to the piece obstructing the view of the lines in places, so I had to wing it.

• 3 weeks later...