What is the best wood to use for scrolling?

kcortese

I used 1/4" plywood, it feathered and splintered on the backside. It took some time to clean it up. I wasn't happy with the outcome.

What is the best thin wood to use when scrolling?

Where is the best place to purchase it online?

I will like to continue scrolling, but won't do it on plywood anymore.

Karen

Hi Karen,don't get discouraged .I use all woods and have the same problem,but work with it.The reason the wood splits on the back is because your pushing the wood out with the drill bit.A DRILL PRESS WILL PUSH THE WOOD OUT FASTER THAN ANYTHING BECAUSE OF LEVERAGE.To compensate for this place a piece of wood behind what your drilling .This will stop the piece from splintering as there is a wall of wood to slow down the wood from being pushed out.i never use this method but learned of it here in the village.I'm to gung hoo to let little things slow me down. So in recorse i drill very so to let the drill bit do the work it's supposed to do.So drill slow and when you feel the drill start to go thru slow down even more .New drill bits cut very nice and keeps splintering down to a minimum.Don't give up and wait for wood.Use what you got and enjoy scrolling.Hope this keeps you scrolling! :)

To minimize tearout, I'll sometimes use blue painter's tape on the back. After you're done cutting, just remove the tape and you're left with a pretty good surface. You still might get a little, but it's not as bad. Quality plywood, especially Baltic Birch plywood (which is different from birch plywood), makes a big difference.

Kevin, Thank you for the encouragement. I DID us my drill press, and yes, it pushed out the back and splintered it. I'll be more careful next time. I'll drill slower next time with a new bit.

Travis, I thought about putting painters tape on the back, I'm glad you mentioned that. Next time I'll use it.

Everyone here is very helpful to a person just starting out. I learn by my mistakes, and must force myself to go slower when scrolling.

I finally learned how to adjust the tension of the blade (finally!) and got my new blade chuck screws which makes it easier.

Now all I have to do is follow the advise that was given to me for a successful project.

I have my scroll saw outside in my shed, it's starting to get cold now. I want to bring the saw inside the house. Now, I have to figure out how to keep the dust level down.

Any ideas on the dust control? I don't have a basement, and have only 1 floor.

Karen

dust is a big problem but when i had a house i'd sit in front of the airconditioning invent with a pleated paper filter and the dust problem was under control .it never reached the rest of the house. a dust deputy is a great dust collector for the underneth of your saw .i mean there should be a dust collecting port under your saw where you can collect a vacumn cleaner and the dust deputy will keep most of the dust from reaching you vacumn cleaner and saves tremendusly on buying new filters for the vacum.You can get a 20 " box fan and sit by a window to expell the dust but if the wind is blowing towards you it wont work so well.If you had a rainbow cleaning machine the dust would be collected in water with zero coming back into the air.look to thrift stores for one of these or craigs list or e-bay.new ones are 2200 dollars.if you have allergies this is the cleaning machine to have. :)

I like the olson scroll reverse.. I use mainly #2R and #2/0R blades. For bringing the saw inside and keeping the dust down, if you don't mind the noise, you can use a small shopvac. You can fabricate a holder that will keep the hose next to the hole in the table top. That will catch most of the dust. I've seen one made from a flat base, with a piece of wood with a hole drilled in it to fit the host attached to the base. The base is clamped down, and you can move the host to where it needs to sit.

Kevin and Wolfmoon, thank you for the helpfull tips.

I looked online for dust control, and got a few ideas. I think I'll attach a vacum to the saw tray. I have a vacum out in my shed that may work out. A fan with furnace filters attached may work. I'll try both methods and see which works best for me. I also have a carpet cleaner which works like a rainbow machine, that is another thing to try. I'll figure it out.

Karen

Karen the FD spiral blades are tricky to control not because they break. Spiral blades they cut in 360 degree and not like a flat blade that only cuts on one side. If you can run a sewing machine you will have little trouble using a spiral blade. I like them for simple reason you can cut forward , backward , side to side with out having to turn your work peice. Just takes a little time and practice to be able to control them.

John