Cutting brass

Creations by Cody

hi which country are you from in the usa you can buy jewelry saw blades I am not sure but I believe that mikesworkshop sels tham

some tips i found on the web

Always wear eye protection when drilling, cutting, or sanding brass.

The clear packing tape lubricates the blade, but make sure to tape over the entire cutting surface for greater stability.

The edges of brass are sharp and will cut your hands; wrap all edges in tape.

You can double the life of your blade by creating a higher working surface to take advantage of the blade's unused portion.

Turn corners slowly to avoid catching the brass and lifting it off the table.

Be aware of the heat that is generated quickly when cutting and sanding brass.

Don't try to cut brass without the backer board. As you cut, the blade is creating burrs on the backside.

This not only impedes the movement of the piece as you work, but will also scratch up your table.

If your cutting very thin metal,sandwich the metal between 2 pieces of wood with the pattern on top.This will keep the cut piece true and straight with no wrinkles in the finished edge of finished work.Spray glue all the pieces together and take apart with mineral spirits by separating the piece best you can a little and drip the mineral spirits in the spread apart edge so it dissolves the glue ,this will make them come apart easyly :)

Thanks Robbert, I'm in US/Oklahoma. I haven't heard the tape method for lubrication. Thanks for the tips.

Kevin thanks for the tips, but I'm not cutting thin. 0.1 in thick shouldn't bend, but I will make sure to do that when I work with thin metals. Thanks.

What is a good site to order the jewellery from? I can only find packs of 144 when I only need 12.

Thanks

Cody

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up some, and now know why the sell so many together. I have never had blades brake on me as much as I have with this project. I have broken over 10 blades and only cut 3 circles. Yes I am using lubercent, no I am runing it slow, and yes I am not pushing to hard agint the blades. I just am using a thick amount of brass.

Cody the trick here is to put a LIGHT tension on the blade and to let the blade do the cutting. I know, I know what else does the cutting? Seriously though with those light blades it takes a slow to medium speed, a lighter tension on the blade than normal and a very light touch when cutting it. Practice will make you find your sweet spot on speed, pressure and tension for cutting brass. One other thing will be that the metal will wear the heck out of your blades, especially on a faster speed. Here is one example of what I am talking about. I did this about 3 -4 years back and like you broke a ton of blades until I learned how to cut it successfully.

i3E2FBE4C-248F-4F90-960C-524688910C2A.jpg

DW