Puzzle Painting

edward

I 'am thinking of making a christmas puzzle, I know that you paint the front, and not the interior pieces. My Question is do you paint the back and the outside edges. Edward

Are you doing freestanding puzzles? I think this is personal preference. I've done it both ways. More often than not, I paint the edges and back.

For the inside pieces, a lot of times I use a #5 blade or larger to cut freestanding puzzles. This will create a larger kerf, which makes the puzzle easier to assemble. It also gives room for paint buildup on the edges. So, with this method, you can paint the inside edges with a thin coat.

When I paint puzzles, I like a diluted acrylic paint, basically the consistency of milk. This stains the puzzle, letting the grain show through. Then I put a spray-on clear coat on it for protection.

• 3 weeks later...

I save so much time making a little tray from aluminum foil a little bigger than the project ,set the project in and fill up the tray allmost as high as the project.With tooth picks under the project to let the paint or stain come up thru the bottom as you pour in the liquild.saves trying to paint the hard to get spots in a second.then i drain back into the can ,sliding a little bit off the table to poke a hole in the foil .Very fast and you don't get any on the face of the project,