Is This a First???

bubbaloo158

Hi all...

While working on a project this afternoon I started noticing that the blade was beginning to feel loose on my DW788 when I would give it tension. It finally got to the point where it wouldn't tighten up at all, even at the maximum tension setting, and I mean not at all. I was baffled and really didn't know what to do. And so, acting on a whim, I disconnected the "Easy-lift" system. Lo and behold, the problem was solved although I don't know why. I've had the Easy-lift on my saw for quite a long time and never had any problems before today. I'm wondering why this would suddenly happen now?

I have to say that with having the Easy-lift system removed from the saw, the blade really gets a lot tighter. I would have to adjust it to the max in order to have it tight enough to cut with the Easy-lift. Now, I can feel the resistance when I get up to around 4. 4 1/2 works fine and I really don't have to go over 5.

My big thing right now is trying to remember that I'm back to using a block of wood again - which really isn't such a pain when I look at it

realistically. That being said, I had to get off my seat quite a few times to pick up the block off the floor. But I do know that the block actually holds the arm higher and more solid than the Easy-lift. My gut feeling is that the block of wood will prevail from here on in.

But I'm just interested in knowing if this has ever happened to anyone else who uses the Easy-lift attachment for the DW788 and how did you fix it?

Bobby

I recently acquired a used 788 at an auction and ordered the easy lift but haven't installed it yet so will be interested in responses to your question. I have found that I don't need to set the tension beyond 3 1/2 with a #3 or 5 blade and 2 1/2 with a #1 or 2 blade. So far doing only fretwork, I usually just hold the arm up with one hand and move the piece to the next hole with the other hand and it seems to work fine.

Taking off the EZ lift may just be a coincidence. I was having a lot of problems with tension and ended up taking the top off by the on/off switch and found that the bolt was loose. That lasted for awhile and then had to take it apart and tighten the tension rod and now the tension is great. Now at 3.5 to 4 using a 1 to 3 blade. Rick at scrollsaws.com has a section on the tune up of the saw. If you start noticing the tension slipping again you may want to try this.

Larry... great idea about the magnet!!! Do you see why I love this place???!!!

I just find it strange that the problem is there only with the Easy-Lift. People on another forum tell me that the blade must be slipping and that I should rough up the clamps. But I just don't understand why the clamps are ok without the Easy-Lift and not ok without it?

Bobby

My initial thought is the blade is slipping, too. Probably the reason it seemed to fix it is you removed the blade then reinstalled it. Sometimes there can be a small bur on the screw clamp that might not hold it as tight as it should. You can take a look at the end and hit it with some sand paper to flatten it. There could be excess oil on the blade too. Sometimes when my blade slips, I'll pinch the top/bottom of the blade between folded sandpaper and pull it out. This roughs up the blade ends a bit and removes the oil.

I always wipe a new blade on both ends with a dry paper towel you will see a black streek remailing after you do this,I know Mike says there is no oil on his blades but there is something on them or I am imagining this.A long bungie from a basement rafter is my easy lift easily adjusted by adding or taking away a knot or two.

• 10 months later...