ETSY info ?

sullyscroller

I personally dont like Esty. I have had an Item on there for several months I went on there as a regular Joe and typed in the description of the item And I could not find it. The only way I found it was to type in my name that I use on the site. I personally just sale my stuff on facebook. I added a page to my regular face book and have all my wood working there. And when a coworker or stranger ask I give them my Facebook name and I accept them as friends. Then when I finish something I post it and useally some one will want it. And I end up making a few . Sorry I can't give you better advice on Esty.

I don't sell on Etsy, but I plan on trying it this year. Here's a few things I've picked up along the way while reading about it.

• You have to list items often. If you have a bunch of stuff to list, do it over a week or so. The way their search engines work is they look for the most recent listing. So if you list consistently, you'll get better results.
  • Etsy is HUGE, so you really have to network. Joining Etsy teams, participating in the forums, adding artists to your circles and doing treasuries will get you exposure. It's almost better to think of Etsy as a social network. If you don't participate, you'll be lost in the cracks.
  • You'll have to do a lot of your own promotion too. Create a Facebook page, create a blog, do videos. Pretty much anything to get you exposure outside of Etsy. That will drive more traffic to your store. Link where you can (without spamming) to your etsy store. On SSV, you're allowed to add a link to your website/etsy store in your signature.
  • Do some research as to what sells. Just browse other people who do similar work. On the side of their storefront, you'll see how many sales they've had. Click on that link to see what they sold. Don't copy them, but it should give you an idea of what Etsy buyers like (Etsy buyers have their own aesthetic, and often follow trends).
  • Also, read their Blog. Etsy wants you to succeed. The more money you make, the more money they make. Their blog has a lot of great articles, inspiration, and business advice. You should also check out their Seller's Handbook.
  • Check out this blog on the business side of crafting: Designing An MBA. Lots of great business advice. Also check out other blogs and websites for advice. There are also a number of books on Amazon that cover selling crafts online.

I hope this gets you on your way. Perhaps some Etsy sellers here can add their experiences.

I sell on Etsy and sell some stuff.

Post your items and make sure to use the "tags" and fill out as much information as possible in the description. Make the title as simple and direct as possible.

Place your item in a global category where it won't get lost. I put my signs and paintings in Housewares, Wall Decor. Instead of the Art Category where it will get lost in the millions of other items.

You should run an add with them for more exposure on the web. It is pay per click. Mine is set up for a maximum amount of $7.00 a week. I get a lot of hits and views with the add every day.

I have sold several items, not making a killing or won't get rich, but at least people are looking at my items.

I have more luck selling on Etsy than E-Bay or other stores like Bonanza or E-crater.

Karen

• 8 months later...