NEED ADVISE Ink Jet Transferes Directly to Wood

kcortese

I was tinkering with the idea of direct transfers of patterns to the wood using my inkjet printer and some kind of transfer paper.

Has anyone ever done this before? I did a little experiment and printed out a small pattern on empty label paper, rubbed the pattern directly onto the wood. It worked out OK, but the transfer wasn't perfect.

I don't have much sacrificial wood around, and would like to know if any of you do direct pattern transfers. What is the best way of doing it? What transfer paper is best?

I am trying to eliminate gluing a printed pattern to the wood.

Karen

Hi Karen

This is a theory, but I would say that photo type paper would be best, as it is shiny and when ever I've printed a photo, I have to be careful not to smudge the ink. Also I would have the printer set to 'best quality' as it uses more ink I think, then have the wooden blank as close to the printer and do the 'transfering' as quick as possible. A paint roller or ink roller might be good too.

Hope this works, (if you try it) I think it's a great idea. Would you show some oictures if you do it please?

Gary

I have done a little direct printing in the past and found that inkjet printers don't transfer very well at all, but using a laser printer on ordinary paper the results were quite good. the method I use is to print the pattern (not forgetting to reverse any lettering) then place it ink side down on the wood, then using a cotton bud I rub over the back of the pattern with Xylene, which is a type of paint thinner. Make sure that the wood is sanded and free from dust and you should have a fairly good useable pattern. Hope this helps..

If you print your pattern on a laser printer you can do a heat transfer. If you don't have a laser printer, you can take your pattern and photocopy it. The trick is to make sure you're using toner ink like those found in laser or photocopy machines. Iron the back of the paper onto the wood. Basically, you're melting the ink off the paper and onto the wood.

The only drawback I can see for having the ink directly on the wood is that you'll still have to sand it to remove the marks. I don't see it saving you much time for regular scrolling projects, but it would be useful for painted projects. My preferred method is spraying the back of the pattern (not the wood) with spraymount and applying the pattern to the wood. When I'm done, I just use mineral spirits to dampen the pattern. When it's translucent, the pattern will practically fall off without any residue.

I agree with Travis. I tried it and it's not worth the time and effort. For me, it's much faster to apply painters tape, apply the pattern and cut. I think most inkjet papers are designed to hold the ink. If you were to try it, use transfer paper, but with the added expense, I would rather spend the time than the money.

Hi, Karen,I have also seen this method used by using OVERHEAD TRANSPARENCY SHEETS that are normally used for Overhead Projecters like those used

in school class rooms.

My preferred method though is to tape the front of the wood with blue painter's tape and glue the pattern to the tape with spray glue.

The blue painter's tape is tacky enough that it does not come loose from the wood when cutting but, still removes from the wood very easily with no

glue residue.

Good luck with your projects and God Bless! Spirithorse

OK everyone, and thank you very much for the advise.

I will continue working with tape and spray adhesive. I played around with inkjet transfers yesterday and it didn't work out the way I wanted. Some sections of the pattern smeared or didn't transfer dark enough (pain in the butt). Live and learn.

Karen

• 1 month later...

I have used self adhesive shelf paper in the past. Cut the paper to fit my printer. Print then "peel and stick"...only problem is it took 24 hours or so for the ink to dry enough so it wouldn't smudge! Now I print the pattern on my printer using paper.  Cover the wood piece with packing tape (got lots left from my move here) and spray the adhesive to the tape....put the paper pattern on the tape.  The tape peels easily with the paper remnants on it.

Have fun, y'all.

Eric

• 6 months later...