Are You A Wood Hoarder?

Travis

Not as bad as before but I too am a wood hoarder.

In 2000, I restored a 150 year old house and I saved all the interior planks that were usable, floor boards, door casing etc. took up an area in my garage 14 x 6 x 6 or more. Used it for all sorts of projects.

When I moved, I culled some of it out but still had 2 trailer loads. I am now down to just a few planks but am using the space for the wood that I am accumulating for doing Intarsia sometime in the future. If I see a nice board at the lumber yard I buy it and save it just in case.

I rarely throw out a cut off as you never know.

YES, my name is Don and I am a hoarder.

I didn't think I hoarded wood until I moved. I gave away 4 boxes (the size that reams of paper come in) of various wood and moved about 10 times that much. Oh, and I committed the big sin...I burned a bunch of logs I was saving.

ths past fall i spent 2 months at silver dollar city working with a friend on his chuck wagon. every 2 days they would bring wood up for us to burn all day for coals for our dutch ovens. every piece i picked up looked at and did bring home a bunch of oak hickory that had great grain patterns. for cutting and drying. i guess i made up for you burning logs i saved a bunch of logs meant for burning. "i am tom cook and I am a wood hoarder!"

I didn't think I hoarded wood until I moved. I gave away 4 boxes (the size that reams of paper come in) of various wood and moved about 10 times that much. Oh, and I committed the big sin...I burned a bunch of logs I was saving.

i am not only a wood hoarder i have people helping me. got a great friend that use to make some of the most beautiful mesquite rocking chairs and tables you ever did see. well hes cleaning out a old building and sent me this picture. this is waiting next time i head towards Corpus Christ . texas ebony

post-2257-0-42110400-1362617476_thumb.jpg

........"I am not only a wood hoarder I have people helping me. ................."

I have folks giving me wood all the time. Lots of guys buy wood , start a project, loose interest, sell their equipment and give away their, left over, wood. There I am with a truck and a smile. I also buy new, eastern red cedar by the pickup load full. (200+ board feet). I also have a lot of curly maple that was given to me ,over a year ago,to make some items that I have not yet gotten the go ahead on. When I moved my workshop I saved all the 2x4's and 2x6's and have a pile of them. I have used about 1/2 of them so far and about to start a home project that will use the rest I think. When a neighbor cuts down a tree, there I am with my truck and a smile. I have some very nice apple wood now. I use it in intarsia and to inlay it into the cedar. Yes, I am a hoarder and yes, life is good.

I don't consider having wood all over the place hoarding........I call it being prepared !!!!!! :D

you never know when you are going to need that one little piece. I have friends that bring me wood all the time. today one was cutting down an elm tree and brought me two burls from it. the shop where I buy my wood always save me cutoffs with wild and crazy grain. my scrap bins are always over flowing with little pieces left from my intarsia. I just can't bring myself to burn it, so I box it up and give it to other wood hoarders. Yes, my name is Clayton and I am a wood hoarder.

......... I too am a hoarder, I have tried the patches but they bring me out in splinters.

Gary

Ha ha! Now that is funny! Just today I came into about 100 pounds of free 3"-4" lengths of 3"x3" mahogany. I could not resist. I have enough to make wooden flowers for years now.

• 4 weeks later...