travis's cadilac

amazingkevin

here's a caddy travis patterned for us .Done with a spiral from 'mikesworkshop.com lot of fun doing it and had to take weeks to complete .I had to think out the safest way to go about cutting the fragile thin wood i chose.Cut a little each day so as not to rush it along.the grill was giveing me heart palpitations as i did'nt want to start over from cutting through where i was'nt supposed to.post-1607-0-64177200-1362463232_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone for the welcome warm comments ! i had done this years ago and it's in the old gallery here.It was done on very cheap cabinet board like not even but maybe an 1/8 th thickness.the worst wood to scroll with in the world.I also did the lords prayer in the same wood .glutton for punishment,but i love to scroll and it was a beautyfull piece of wood .Just worthless except for a backing board for a cabinet.I did'nt let that stop my love of scrolling.you should have seen the splinters which i took pictures of and posted them too.On the lords prayer which was big  on the first line i scraped a letter in two but because of what i was scrolling i finished it .Not to many letters fell out.the caddy was done so slow as i really wanted to do this car as i had one .I still have it too .,the wood one, in my friends car repair shop on the walls with many other projects .i scrolled for 4 years at a speed you would not believe.so slow you could watch the blade go up and down.we lived in a apartment house and anything faster than dead slow made too much noise.i was happy the neighbors were happy .because of the slow speed i was making chinese saws last allmost a year.then in 2010 i was cutting outside my friends shop and was flying at top speed knocking out projects a plenty.I was impressed with the saws speed and wonderd why i ever cut slow but the noise was the reason.Since then the chinese saw wear out in 2 months and the dw788 a little longer.i can;t scroll enough.i got the scroll bug bad.I've heard it said on ssv that any scroll saw won't hold up to the punishment of push push push like i  do to them.OPP's i got carryed away .sorry

Impressive cuts again, Kev. I've had my fair share of tense moments with minuscule lines. I find that time always helps...I never seem to run higher than the slowest speed anymore. With detail, it's simply not worth risking the chance of ruining a really great piece. Stopping for a few minutes, and a quick breath of fresh air at the window also helps me to relax and focus. I'm sure everyone else has similar ways of holding their nerve. Well done, once again.