Project photos

steveh

Boy, those turned out sharp! I've seen one of his patterns in a magazine and I've been wanting to get his book. I'm really itching to try one. I think they look really cool. What kind of wood do you normally use? How many shades of stain do you keep on hand? Very nice work. Good job! :thumbs:

Thanks for the nice comments folks. These were really fun to do. I have about 6 shades of MinWax oil based stains that I use and occasionaly mix a couple to get what I want. The biggest problem is black. Real black, not just a stain, I used a black marker for that. Sometimes black marker plus stain on a piece. However you have to be careful. Urethane or Polyurethane will not cause the black marker to bleed, but laquer sure does. I made a mess of another large head which then became designer firewood. Some of these were cut from 3/4" laminated pine shelving material. Others from 3/4" Baltic birch of the far Eastern variety, not from the Baltic, and not a particularly good choice. Three or four swipes of 120 grit sandpaper and you're through to the first layer of glue. I would like to have used 3/4" pine but could not find any in my area that was knot free and I do not have re-sawing and planing equipment so I rely on what HD and Windsor Plywood stock..

Steve

Coming up with black stain can tricky. You could try some India ink. You can find that at an art/craft store in the calligraphy section. It's basically an inkwell you dip your pens into. I'd just dip a paintbrush in and paint the wood. The ink will soak into the wood like stain.

There is also a technique for ebonizing wood with steel wool and vinegar. This article has some info that you may find interesting.