glue question

gator

okay looking for guidance from the group. years ago when the ca glues came out wasn't a big fan cause i noticed the joint would break after awhile. used the old Elmer wood glue. fast forward to last year. we started using the tigh bond 1 since went to green #3 tigh bond. while doing the chess board i started using the insta-cure with a accelerator. love it with trim on a project you can just keep moving quick. question is how long will it hold? what are some of your others experiences and what do you use?

Edited by gator

I've only used CA glue on woodturnings or fixing plastic Chinese toys.  I never used it for joining boards.  I have a feeling that you might be correct, the glue is brittle.

I've seen some folks use a combination of CA glue and wood glue.  They glue up the joint like normal, but use CA glue to tack it in place while the woodglue cures.  Spread wood glue, then a dab of CA glue on one side, accelerator spray on the other piece, then press together?  You'd have to do it right the first time, because once that accelerator and CA glue meet, it's a done deal.  Might be worth experimenting with.  

I use CA glue alot. if I want or need somthing dried fast I use it. I really haven't had problems with the CA holding. i use it for glueing in my tubes and finish on all my pens. the Kenworth I just finished is almost entirely glued with CA glue, that way I didn't have to wait for all the pieces to dry I could just keep moving. For regular wood glue I now use tight bond 3